alternative avid juicy bleed?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,306

    alternative avid juicy bleed?

    can avid juicy brakes be bled without using their bleed kit? can you do it shimano or hope style where you open up the reservoir cap and pump the lever?

  2. #2
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    No.

  3. #3
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    No.
    It can but your answer is correct No!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alxbrsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    144
    there are really cheap kits available on ebay that work well

  5. #5
    Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Reputation: ibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    424
    I can't understand why Avid complicated a simple procedure
    The whole "de-gas the fluid" crap in the video makes me laugh,in fact the entire bleed procedure on the Avid video is unnecessary maybe this is why Avids factory bleed is bad and the brakes have to be re-bled on fitting

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo
    I can't understand why Avid complicated a simple procedure
    The whole "de-gas the fluid" crap in the video makes me laugh,in fact the entire bleed procedure on the Avid video is unnecessary maybe this is why Avids factory bleed is bad and the brakes have to be re-bled on fitting
    I disagree with this entirely. The avid method is perhaps the best out there. No having to laboriously flush fluid through the system with opening, closing, reopening etc etc etc etc. You efficiently pull air from each end and push new fluid through the hose. However it requires the user to have some wits and be able to read.....maybe this is why some people have trouble with it.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

  7. #7
    Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Reputation: ibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    I disagree with this entirely. The avid method is perhaps the best out there. No having to laboriously flush fluid through the system with opening, closing, reopening etc etc etc etc. You efficiently pull air from each end and push new fluid through the hose. However it requires the user to have some wits and be able to read.....maybe this is why some people have trouble with it.
    I don't have a problem following the procedure.Most of it is just not necessary.Bleeding brakes is simple.I agree that the syringes make it less messy but you simply don't have to do all the crap that the video/manual suggests.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,782
    Actually YES you can, I have done it, but it's a royal PITA, just buy the kit - makes life so much easier.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  9. #9
    ...idios...
    Reputation: SteveUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,662
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    I disagree with this entirely. The avid method is perhaps the best out there. No having to laboriously flush fluid through the system with opening, closing, reopening etc etc etc etc. You efficiently pull air from each end and push new fluid through the hose. However it requires the user to have some wits and be able to read.....maybe this is why some people have trouble with it.
    The best out there? How can it be better to have to spend another 30 on a load of parts which should quite simply be surplus to necessity had the system been properly and sensibly designed in the first place? Why use a syringe to move fluid when the lever itself is perfectly designed to do so? Are you saying that you believe a syringe to be more efficient than the MC design?

    What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes


  10. #10
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Actually YES you can, I have done it, but it's a royal PITA, just buy the kit - makes life so much easier.
    Technically yes, but the reservoir points towards the bar, and there is a diaphragm under the reservoir. Not exactly easy to pump and top off. Doing it this way probably is not as thorough either.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.