mtbr member

Alligator Windcutters Question

Just installed a new set of Wind-Cutters. Same diameters as my old rotors. When applying the brakes, they make a loud whirring sound and the brand new pads seem to be grabbing only at the very top 5mm of the “teeth” of the rotor. Is this normal intil they’re broken in?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    They might not be sized appropriately to make full contact. Take a look at the caliper mounting adapter and see if the caliper is too high/tall to make full contact with the rotor.

By the way, what brakes, and with what rotors were you using before?

mtbr member
    Brand new XTs with avid rotors.
    I installed the new XT's using the hardware that were holding the original Avid Juicy Sevens.
    Looking through the caliper from one end to the other, I can see about 4mm before the rotor bottoms-out to the top of the caliper.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Brand new XTs with avid rotors.
    I installed the new XT's using the hardware that were holding the original Avid Juicy Sevens.
    Looking through the caliper from one end to the other, I can see about 4mm before the rotor bottoms-out to the top of the caliper.
    This may be your problem. Get a Shimano adapter. Some of the older Avid stuff had funny sizes. With Shimano, all you need are the adapter and bolts, none of those funny cone washers.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by divernick View Post
    This may be your problem. Get a Shimano adapter. Some of the older Avid stuff had funny sizes. With Shimano, all you need are the adapter and bolts, none of those funny cone washers.
    yup, guessing that's the issue.. the adaptors for Avid are different and so is the caliper mount section. U can actually keep the bracket from the Avids and just loose the cone things...the caliper body is want is designed to take up the extra material height not the mounting bracket... but you're better off just getting Shimano brackets as avid used odd sizes sometime 5mm off the standard. Example... 185mm instead of 180mm. Just guessing here but if you are using the 180 rotor, and the 185 avid adaptor with the cone spacers you'll get basically what you are describing..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'll get the Shimano brackets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thomllama explained it in better detail than I did. That's likely what's going on.

Members who have read this thread: 0