mtbr member

After ordering Avid J 7's I see many complaints, should I worry?

My 2008 Avid Juicy 7's arrive tomorrow and now that they are almost here I am finding more and more complaints online about them. Are these as problematic as I have been reading or do all brakes have as many complaints? How many own them without problems? Aaron

wants a taco
    when you get them bleed them properly, avids factory bleeds suck. other than that keep an eye on pad life, mine have been problem/maintnence free for about a year of abuse now

AKA Dr.Nob
    The thing with reviews is that that people who have no problems tend not to write a review.

The brakes should be fine.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

huffin' n' puffin'
    I really like my Juicy 7's. I've used them for about 1 1/2 seasons on my Specialized Demo 9 with the factory bleed without any problems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

you're fine

I've got J7s on my Motolite that came from my old Rush. You'll be fine. Parts are readily available so if something does happen you're covered. Plus they are way easy to align and service.

Thing is there are alot of armchair mt bikers on this forum who have alot of free time at work.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Pretty much "ditto" what everyone else said. There are so many more J7's on the market since they are OEM on a lot of bikes that in sheer numbers, there are going to be more problems....but % wise, it's probably not that far off other brands.

The great thing about J7's is that they are so popular you can always find help with them if problems arise and parts are just as easy to find and cheaper than most brands.

And just like everyone else said, you hear more problems because they're the only ones that are going to write a report on it. Most of my buddies ride j7's and have never had any problems in 2 years of riding....not even a bleed. In fact, look at this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421099

Not surprised that Avid is # 1.

Two wheels are best
    I just replaced my problem prone early production ( Fall 2004) '05 J7's with '08 J7's. It was a tough call...J7's again or something else. Cost wise, it's hard to beat the J7's.

Paula has been riding her 2007 SJ with J7's for over a year now with zero issues. Based on that, I figured I'd give them another go...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I feel a little better. UPS should be dropping them off in an hour or so.
    Love getting new stuff! Aaron

Quack Attack
    I've got 7's on one bike and Carbons on the other. Other than occasional squeal (mostly due to dirt), no issues here. Fine brakes.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

Capricious youth...
    I had to trim the front line WAY down on my Avid Codes. I also had to bleed both front and rear. There was a mess of air in the lines.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Thanks again! I just finished installing mine and they are fantastic so far, I do have a little drag on the rear I need to work on but other than that they are a major upgrade from the stock Tecktro's. My front line is about 6" to long so I guess I will have to trim it down after I order the bleed kit.
    I installed a pair of Sram Attack shifters at the same time, they are very nice, at least they are better than the stock Shimano brake/shift combo that came on the bike. I am having a little trouble getting the front derailleur adjusted but I'm sure I will get it fixed.
    Thanks again! Aaron

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron04
    I am having a little trouble getting the front derailleur adjusted but I'm sure I will get it fixed.
    Thanks again! Aaron
    Ha! I've NEVER had that problem before!

Keep at it...you'll get it working...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Members who have read this thread: 0