Advice, Cold weather and disc braking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Advice, Cold weather and disc braking

So here in Colorado we just got a cold snap. Got down to about -10 degrees.
    Anyway, I have some Tektro Auriga Comps that came on my 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc. Shortly after the cold snap, I realized that my front brake wasn't really doing what its supposed to. When the snow melted and there was some dry ground, I tried some hard stopping with the front. Theres no way I could get the back end off the ground, not even close. I did a little searching and found that hydros start leaking in the cold, so I'm guessing the pads got some oil on them. I'm going to try and take back to the LBS and see if they'll fix me up with some new pads or something.

Even if they get that fixed, I can forsee many more cold days coming up, and having the pads replaced is only gonna work for so long. So I've been looking into some BB7s, at least for the front right now. What do you guys think about cable discs in cold weather? If I run a full length housing, the chances of moisture getting in and freezing are lower, right? Also, would a 203mm be suitable for the Tora S-lite fork? I couldn't find the specs on the max disc size, but I read its something like 210mm. I was planning to run 203 in the front and 185 in the rear. I don't do a lot of downhill, but I figured having a little extra braking on tap is never a bad thing. I was also looking at the Speed Lite 7 levers. They make a good combo with the BB7s I read. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Try cleaning the rotor/pad with rubbing alcohole, then dry them good. It's quite possible that you got a leaky piston seals but good amount of ground contaminents do that too. If that doesn't solve the problem, then look for a new set.

It's just my view but Shimano seems to have a better track records than Avid when it comes to lower end brakes, like Deore or even non-numbered OEM ones under $100 on ebay. I would look into those...

I use OEM take off Deore in the front range, no problem whatsoever and I did ride in those 10F temps. Dragged a little when it was that cold but recovered nicely yesterday. I also have an XT (770) on my other bike, and while the modulation and adjustments features are nice, lower end ones are enough for the most of the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I did do a light sanding of everything with some sandpaper, followed by a cleaning with alcohol, but still no go. I guess I'll take a trip down to the LBS today. Might be scary with no front brake :O

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    With winter riding, I suggest going with some sort of cable pull brake, bb7's ideally. Less seals and less oil to leak in those systems . I was using a set of deore 535's last year and their action got really sloppy with the cold, mineral oil doesn't work well at lower temperatures, and there was some definate stiction on the brake pistons. I winter commute here in Ottawa and cable brakes (avid bb5s) have been powerful and reliable. I run a jagwire ripcord cableset.

Also, as a last hail mary attempt you can try to save your brakepads by sanding off the top layer...seriously, I had a set of bb5 pads that i was ready to throw in the trash since they were seriously glazed with some oil. I sat down with some emery cloth and a file and worked off the top layer and sprayed it with some brake cleaner. The oil did not seem to penetrate the lower levels of the pad, works like new.

Rotor size is a personal thing, but unless you are doing some serious gravity riding i think 203 is overkill and yes, Tora's max rotor size is 210mm.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hmm excellent. I see online that I can pick up a BB7 for $40 or so at PricePoint. Only caveat is that its spec'd for the rear. Are they front/rear specific? My bike has 51mm IS front and rear, with 74mm adapters for the 160mm Tektros on there now. I'm gussing since the BB7s are made for 51mm, I only need to take off the old adapters and calipers and bolt up the BB7s?

Edit: Do the Speed Dial 7's come in different size mounts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    SD7's are just levers. You will not get any mounts with them.

Adapters are typically specific front/rear specific. Avid uses different mounting system so you should make sure to order the right brake type.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peedrama
    SD7's are just levers. You will not get any mounts with them.
    Err, I meant the hole in the body of the lever.

Quote Originally Posted by peedrama
    Adapters are typically specific front/rear specific. Avid uses different mounting system so you should make sure to order the right brake type.
    Hmm. So I might need a front specific BB7 kit? Maybe someone else will chime in on this.
    Pricepoint only has Rear 185/203s for cheap.

Off the back...
    I was riding to work with my Shimano SLX hydros at -30C [+ windchill] yesterday. The action at the lever stiffened up, but no loss of power and no leaks. I do not miss my BB7s.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe
    I was riding to work with my Shimano SLX hydros at -30C [+ windchill] yesterday. The action at the lever stiffened up, but no loss of power and no leaks. I do not miss my BB7s.
    The problem is, I park my bike outside for about an hour at a time while in class. During that time, the cold soaks in, and thats when the problems occur...

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by buickid
    The problem is, I park my bike outside for about an hour at a time while in class. During that time, the cold soaks in, and thats when the problems occur...
    My bike sits outside overnight for 12+ hours at a time with no issues other than what I described...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

What It Be ?
    I've heard its the DOT oil vs Mineral oil. I know Avid use different stuff as does Shimano

Members who have read this thread: 0