Adapter question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Adapter question

Hi, I just recently bought a new brakesets, Formula Oro K24. I hope it's a good buy. The brakesets come with one rear IS mount adapter but not the front one which I will need. I have Avid BB7s as my current set up now. My question is, can I use the existing adapter from my BB7 to be use with the new Formula Oro K24 brakes? The rotor size is the same which is 160mm. Thanks ahead.

aka bOb
    Maybe! The adapter itself will place the caliper in the correct spot might but you might run into clearance issues between the adapter and the caliper. Do a mock up fit before tightening the bolts on the caliper to make sure there is no contact where there shouldn't be. I have run into problems with Avid adapters used on other brands of brakes. I think it might be that the adapters where designed to be used with the cps washer stack and so there is plenty of clearance when used with Avid calipers. It is really no big deal though you can just file the the adapter down to fit and you really won't be able to tell once the caliper is mounted. Just remember you only use the cps stack with the Avid calipers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    Maybe! The adapter itself will place the caliper in the correct spot might but you might run into clearance issues between the adapter and the caliper. Do a mock up fit before tightening the bolts on the caliper to make sure there is no contact where there shouldn't be. I have run into problems with Avid adapters used on other brands of brakes. I think it might be that the adapters where designed to be used with the cps washer stack and so there is plenty of clearance when used with Avid calipers. It is really no big deal though you can just file the the adapter down to fit and you really won't be able to tell once the caliper is mounted. Just remember you only use the cps stack with the Avid calipers.
    Thanks! You are right about the clearance between the adapter and the caliper. The adapter that I had on before made contact, not allowing me to tightened the bolt all the way. I went to REI today and picked up a no name brand adapter which cost me $2 and it worked just fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0