7" rotors neccessaryM- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    195

    7" rotors neccessaryM

    I just got a set of Hayes Stroker trail for my Intense 5.5. It came with a pair of 7" rotors. I was wondering do 7" rotors provide significant performance? or is it an overkill?

    I don't do crazy drops or ride stupid fast just general trail riding.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Yes, it does. It's not overkill and modulation should stay the same but you gain stopping power. 7" int the back does required you to properly weight the rear or you may lock up more.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    195
    Thanks are you suggesting 7" front and 6" rear? is that a better compromise?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dunerinaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayancycles
    Thanks are you suggesting 7" front and 6" rear? is that a better compromise?
    Depends on your weight, but 7" front and 6" rear is a very common setup, mine included.

  5. #5
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,029
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Depends on your weight, but 7" front and 6" rear is a very common setup, mine included.
    Me too...I like it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    195
    I'm 5.7 and weighs 165 pounds, I noticed a lot of bigger sized AM bikes have 7" both front and rear.

  7. #7
    rockhound
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    46
    Fully loaded, I am at 160 lbs. My light-duty trail bike has 180mm rotors front and rear. My heavy-duty all-mountain bike had 203mm rotor front and 180mm rotor rear.

    And in no way, is any of it overkill.

    In fact, the AM bike was originally sold to me with 185mm front and 160mm rear; but this was insufficient for long-downhills such as Downieville (c. 15 miles downhill) and fingers tired rapidly, and I upgraded as soon as the opportunity arose.

    I even use the AM bike for light-duty trail riding just because it's so fun to ride. But you do have to shift your weight back and be conscious of "squeezing the baby's finger"; this is good practice regardless of the brake set-up.

  8. #8
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayancycles
    Thanks are you suggesting 7" front and 6" rear? is that a better compromise?
    It's really depends on your breaking Kung Fu, if you have good skills then it's awesome. However, if you sit a lot or don't have good habit of weighting the rear then the added power would tend to lock up the rear.

    I've been on a 210 front and 203 rear formula oro puro and have not lock up the rear. And the modulation still superb. There's no such thing as too much power, IMO.

  9. #9
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayancycles
    Thanks are you suggesting 7" front and 6" rear? is that a better compromise?
    I like a smaller rotor in the rear. I find larger rotors have more power, but smaller is a little easier to walk the line between hard braking and locking up the wheel. For me, this means the optimum size for the rear is smaller than the front.

    That said, I don't know that I would go and change the rear to a smaller one without riding it as is for now to see how you like it.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  10. #10
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I like a smaller rotor in the rear. I find larger rotors have more power, but smaller is a little easier to walk the line between hard braking and locking up the wheel. For me, this means the optimum size for the rear is smaller than the front.

    That said, I don't know that I would go and change the rear to a smaller one without riding it as is for now to see how you like it.
    +1

    says it all. all my bikes run larger front, smaller rear. the reverse of my women...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    195
    I just took my bike out for a spin. I am currently running the old Hayes 9 which are definitely under powered. I will go for the 7"/6" combo. I tend to lock up my rear judging from the XT brakes with 6" rotors front and rear on my Superlight. I know that the XT brakes don't have good modulation. Later II can try with the 7"/7" comb0 later

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    195
    I've been running 185f/140r rotor with Avid Codes brake. I don't feel the need for more stopping power. 140mm gives me a nice modulation without locking the rear brakes. 185 in front for times that you really need to stop.

  13. #13
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayancycles
    I just took my bike out for a spin. I am currently running the old Hayes 9 which are definitely under powered. I will go for the 7"/6" combo. I tend to lock up my rear judging from the XT brakes with 6" rotors front and rear on my Superlight. I know that the XT brakes don't have good modulation. Later II can try with the 7"/7" comb0 later
    Hayes nine has plenty of power, what it lacks is the lever feel and modulation. XT on the other hand the older gen has really good lever feel and modulation but can improve on power. The new one is quite competitive in terms of power and feel.

    Spend somtime honing your lever skills, challenge yourself to not lock up the rear, make it fun. My group would heckle every little tire scratches.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,314
    Like others have said, a fairly large front rotor/smaller rear is good. I run 203mm front, 160mm back with Elixir CRs which has worked well - no lock-up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.