3rd party hydro hose for Shimano XT brakes- Mtbr.com
    eastman

New question here. 3rd party hydro hose for Shimano XT brakes

Can't seem to find the newer resin hose (P/N is SM-BH62) made by shimano. I changed my rig around, and now need a little longer hose for the front.

Anyone know where to get the hose kits? Also remember hearing that several 3rd party companies make these...HELP.

FYI...these are for the 756 XT levers, the 755's used the stainless braided hose with a different coupling for the lever connection.

Thanks!

the Truth will set u free

AEBike.com lists that Shimano hose kit...

Quote Originally Posted by eastman
    Can't seem to find the newer resin hose (P/N is SM-BH62) made by shimano. I changed my rig around, and now need a little longer hose for the front.

Anyone know where to get the hose kits? Also remember hearing that several 3rd party companies make these...HELP.

FYI...these are for the 756 XT levers, the 755's used the stainless braided hose with a different coupling for the lever connection.

Thanks!
    AEBike.com lists that Shimano hose kit on their website here:
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=2802

Another alternative is Goodridge, which makes fantastic hoses, although I'm not 100% certain if they have one that works with your Shimano discs.

Jagwire also sells "universal" disc brake hose kits, although I do recall reading some posts about them leaking, so you might want to research them prior to purchase. I see some Jagwire stuff on AEBike.com too:
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=1098
    2001 Ellsworth Truth

eastman

... and if we just ... Thanks!

Just ordered 2 sets, one to do the job, and one just in case - for the future.

Funny about the Jags, I checked out the site and couldn't find anything.

Also remember reading/seeing something about a manufacturer that makes a really good qualty set, think one of the mags had a good write up about the company? Oh well.

Thanks again!

the Truth will set u free
    Also remember reading/seeing something about a manufacturer that makes a really good qualty set, think one of the mags had a good write up about the company? Oh well.
    That most likely is Goodridge. They've rec'd some very positive press on their new disc brake lines in the past 3-4 months.
    2001 Ellsworth Truth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm using Goodridge on my Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH
    That most likely is Goodridge. They've rec'd some very positive press on their new disc brake lines in the past 3-4 months.
    I'm using Goodridge on my Hayes and I think they are great, super flexible but durable. The inner tube is thick wall PTFE with a strong stainless steel overbraid. They hold hydraulic pressure better than most lines without expanding, so you have more positive braking. Formula 1 race cars and superbike motorcycles also use Goodridge lines.
    I checked out my distributor bti-usa.com and it looks like they make it for many Shimano brakes but not the 756. they have them for the 755.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

The dark side is quicker

New question here. Goodridge for Hopes

Quote Originally Posted by BalleRacing
    I'm using Goodridge on my Hayes and I think they are great, super flexible but durable. The inner tube is thick wall PTFE with a strong stainless steel overbraid. They hold hydraulic pressure better than most lines without expanding, so you have more positive braking. Formula 1 race cars and superbike motorcycles also use Goodridge lines.
    I checked out my distributor bti-usa.com and it looks like they make it for many Shimano brakes but not the 756. they have them for the 755.
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com
    Do you know if they make a kit (F & R) for Hope M4's?
    Can you get them?
    How much?

Thanks,

Mike
    "The Truth is Absolution."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit
    Do you know if they make a kit (F & R) for Hope M4's?
    Can you get them?
    How much?

Thanks,

Mike
    Yes they make a kit for the Hope M4's. My distributor has them in stock in clear or carbon http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item...e=&itemsearch=
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com

eastman

Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by BalleRacing
    Erik,
    Balle Racing
    www.balleracing.com
    Thanks! I think this is the company with the great write ups. And it looks like they do make kits for the 756 levers.

eastman

Seriously ?
    Thanks! I think this is the company with the great write ups. And it looks like they do make kits for the 756 levers.

eastman
    Do they ? I'd be interested. Where have you seen any info about that ?

Gui

Seriously ?
    Nevermind, I found it.

It is the kit #108 for shimano M756 levers

Those babies are pricey.

Gui

eastman

Yowser!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff
    Nevermind, I found it.

It is the kit #108 for shimano M756 levers

Those babies are pricey.

Gui
    Yeah, it looks like the kit has the male adaptor for the 756 levers, and the banjo for the 755's. Couldn't find the prices. I shelled out ~26 for the shimano resin.

May be worth the extra $$, for the added insurance.

Good luck, and btw, the hose swap out is a poc. just make sure you get an extra bottle of the mineral oil.

eastman

Seriously ?
    Yeah, it looks like the kit has the male adaptor for the 756 levers, and the banjo for the 755's. Couldn't find the prices. I shelled out ~26 for the shimano resin.

May be worth the extra $$, for the added insurance.

Good luck, and btw, the hose swap out is a poc. just make sure you get an extra bottle of the mineral oil.

eastman
    The prices I saw are arounf $59, EACH hose, gosh, you can buy a pair of mech discs for that.

I'm not changing my original hoses any time soon. By the way, I was curious as how one can remove the hose from the M756 lever, it is stuck in there with that olive. There's a fitting the screw into the lever but it is not what is really holding it in place.

I've asked this here in this board maybe 3-4 times and got no repply at all.

Gui

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiff
    By the way, I was curious as how one can remove the hose from the M756 lever, it is stuck in there with that olive. There's a fitting the screw into the lever but it is not what is really holding it in place.
    I removed mine just last night. What I had to do was (1) unscrew the fitting (2) grab the hose close to the lever with a pair of small Visegrips (3) pull or unscrew with a twisting motion and the hose should come right out. All you're basically trying to do is to unseat the compression fitting that's been smushed inside the housing. That's what's holding the hose so tightly in the housing.

Eric
    Oakley - High Definition Optics

eastman

Idea! Hmmm?

I had the same luck as e-man, but did not require the use of a tool to remove the hose. I unscrewed the connecting bolt (the bolt that hose goes through, which is screwed into the 756 lever itself), then grabbed the resin hose with a rag, and pulled. The hose popped right out…olive and all.

Not sure how much the compression from connecting bolt pushing against the olive actually distorts the brass olive itself, but it did come out O.K with a little pull. And that was after 7 months of hard use, and zero leaks or problems.

The new hose went in just fine, and again no problems to date. I originally changed the line due to a different setup on my bike, which required a longer hose.

I found a pretty comprehensive pdf that covers pretty much all of the shimano hydraulic brake systems (think it’s “the service manual”). I can email it to you if you’d like?

-eastman

Members who have read this thread: 0