203mm upgrade- Mtbr.com

Thread: 203mm upgrade

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

203mm upgrade

Im running a Gary Fisher Mamba 29er (full stock, besides pedals) and I was considering upgrading the standard 160mm front disc into a 203mm. I know i would need adapters and whatnot, but I wanted to know how big of a difference I would feel and if it was worth the 30 or 40 bucks?

Feel free to suggest discs, other parts worth upgrading, and any other tips/parts you feel inclined to show me. Im new to the sport and would love help.

Here is a link to the bike w/ full specs: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mamba

Also: would I be better off investing a few more bucks and upgrading the brakes (Shimano BR-M416 mechanical disc)?

mtbr member
    Why not go to180mm first? i ride 160mm front and rear right now and im going up one step, a 203mm rotor is huge and might be overkill for that bike.

im no expert at brake sizes and stuff, just seems like you might want to go one step at a time..
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    One thing i forgot to mention is that Im 6'4" and weigh 195 lbs, if that makes a difference

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT
    Im running a Gary Fisher Mamba 29er (full stock, besides pedals) and I was considering upgrading the standard 160mm front disc into a 203mm. I know i would need adapters and whatnot, but I wanted to know how big of a difference I would feel and if it was worth the 30 or 40 bucks?

Feel free to suggest discs, other parts worth upgrading, and any other tips/parts you feel inclined to show me. Im new to the sport and would love help.

Here is a link to the bike w/ full specs: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mamba

Also: would I be better off investing a few more bucks and upgrading the brakes (Shimano BR-M416 mechanical disc)?
    It definitely make a huge difference. It may or may not be what you want. I went from a 160 to 203 in the front of a 26" AM bike at one point (I weighed around 180 lbs at the time). Loads more power but it felt too sensitive and locked up too easily at low speeds or on loose terrain. Too grabby. Went down to 185 and it's perfect. On the other hand, at your weight and the fact that it is a 29" wheel, you may like the 203 better. Won't know until you try.

If you feel like you want more power, a 185 or 203 rotor will help.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Loads more power but it felt too sensitive and locked up too easily at low speeds or on loose terrain. Too grabby.
    As it is right now, I cannot make my front wheel lock. Even with the lever on the bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not too long ago I went from 160 f/r to 185 f/r on my monocog when I upgraded to avid bb7's. I'm 6'-6"/240 and although I don't do any freeride or downhilling I've never had a problem stopping, or feeling like I wasn't stopping fast enough. Besides that they have always been quiet and squeal free. I can't say enough good things about those brakes, and you can tell by the reviews they've received on here. Like'em so much they're also on my coffee/dog walking bike and have ordered a set for my F29.

Pricepoint's got them on sale right now starting at $44-160/ $54-185

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    As it is right now, I cannot make my front wheel lock. Even with the lever on the bars.
    Even on really loose stuff?

Keep in mind that not being able to lock up the front wheel may indicate a weak brake, but it could also be due to good traction
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Even on really loose stuff?
    I ride hardpack XC mostly so i rarely encounter loose stuff for more than a few feet at a time. Even though I ride XC I want to slow down quicker so i can hold on to speed for longer before turns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Here is a link to the bike w/ full specs: [url
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mamba[/url]

One thing to keep in mind is the max rotor size listed for the fork. Most QR forks will not be able to run an 8" rotor (safely).
    If you are not going to be upgrading your fork, go with the biggest rotor that will fit it. Yes, your brakes are not that great but you can upgrade them later when you feel that just a bigger rotor isn't cutting it.
    In summary: best bang for buck is going to be a bigger rotor

Ninja Master Powers
    I have a 203 on the front of my Trance b

It's perfect. I'm running a 185 on the rear.

Elixir CR's

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have 203 front, 160 rear with Elixir CRs and a Talas RC2 36 fork and like the setup.

mtbr member
    i run hope 203mm in front and hope 183mm at the rear.works fine for me.i am using hope tech m4 brakes.Previously l was using avid elixir cr with their stock G3 rotors.Had a hard time stopping with them

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just looked at the specs for the Dart 3 fork and it has a max rotor size of 160mm, is this really true or can you run bigger rotors on it?

Members who have read this thread: 0