mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2012 Avid Elixir 9c brakes

I got a set this past week, even thought they are not in stores yet. i wont be able to trail ride them til this weekend. My first impressions, nice build quality and they look cool with the anodized gunmetal gray color. Even though avid claims they spent 6-8 months revising their internal bleed machine to get a better factory bleed. Thats not the case with at least my set. They had so much air in them, it was a joke. so once bled they have a nice feel, good modulation. Not over the top powerful but good stopping power (on street only so far) I am a clyde. I have never been a fan of avids stock pads. So far no turkey wobble or anything from the rotors, I have about 20 street miles on them. Running a 180 up front and 165 in the rear.

The only main problem I have had with these so far is where they have the reach adjustment knob you can not run these with grip shift. No where on their website does it say this, so I called Sram and they confirmed this and agreed that it should and will be stated on the the prooduct page for them.

I will post up some more after my weekends ride along with some pics.

mtbr member
    Bump.

Anymore reviews on the new 2012 Elixir models? How do they compare to the older Elixirs and do the turkey noise go away with the new Elixirs or does one have to use in combination with the 2012 rotors as well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yep, same interest, specifically Elixir 7 2012 (180 front & rear)- for All Mountain use.
    I would be very grateful for any review or suggestion.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I do not have any turkey wobble noise. I am using an 2012 180 rotor up front and a G3 clean sweep 165 in the rear ( the reason my kit came with 2 180's and I can not run a 180 in my rear.)

After putting some miles on them, I like them, they have good modulation, but still feel a bit soft to me, but liveable. I am a clyde rider and the stock pads are wearing quickly, so I will be needing to replace those soon. But after initial rebleed when I got them they have worked well. I had mine before they were released to the general public, so they have may have worked out the kinks before going into full production.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2012 Elixir 5's came on my Blur LT2 (Alu) with 180F and 160R HS1 rotors. Rears would not shut up, even after taking it to the LBS to get it adjusted. Fronts were quite grabby as well. Overall power was ok but I think my weight may be a bit much for them (215-220 geared up).
    Got the 2012 Shimano XT's put on and can't be happier with that decision.