2011 xtr vs. marta sl mag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

2011 xtr vs. marta sl mag

Folks,

I am getting a new bike and have selected to go with new xtr group for everything thus far.Brakes is where I have my doubts since I hate to be an early adopter. I rode with sl previously and had great experience. Which set of brakes would you pick? Why?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I would also like to know, as i will be buying a new shimano brakeset soon. XT is what it is, and im ok with it, but if XTR Trail (M885) is a lot better then i would gladly pay extra for the upgrade,

I dont know if OP is talking about XTR race or trail, but im still interested in the trail stuff. Also wondering about the XTR rotors, I currently have the RT79 (XT/Saint) rotors, but i wonder if the steel/alu/steel XTR rotors offfer a noticeable difference in cooling or fade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The german Bike magazin did a disc brake test recently and got to melt down the discs of the new XTR brakes (with both options that is). They did not only do this in a lab but also on a downhill trail in the Alps (steep with 100kg man, but still...). Story is that these new discs are layered, stainless steel on the outsides where the pads contact and an aluminium core to save weight. The aluminium core just melted. If you go XTR than I'd make sure not to get the new style discs when you do any extensive downhills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the new XTR brakes on the way but i will be using the RT76 rotor with them as I do not run center lock hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    I have the new XTR brakes on the way but i will be using the RT76 rotor with them as I do not run center lock hubs.
    I already have rotors picked out too, the RT 79 (center lock version of the 76 IIRC). Let us know how they work once you get em! I have this fear that the heat sinks atop the pads are going to want to rattle around after a while.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Land Cruiser,

I think you'll find that XTR brakes are not as powerful as Marta SLs overall. If it's weight saving you're after, perhaps you should also consider Formula R1s.

Slurry,

Stick with XTs over XTRs for power and overall reliablity.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had the XT 770 series and liked them a great deal. Only two issues 1. Sticky piston on rear and 2. Weight. Power was excellent and modulation was excellent. Currenly have a set of XTR 970 brakes and though they are bit lighter then the XT 770 they are not as powerful.

I am betting the 980 series will be much more powerful and reliable then the 970. I ordered the 985 non-trail version but both share the same caliper so we will see.

As for rotors I am pretty sure any shimano rotor will work just fine. If I were centerlock I wouldn't hesitate to use my old XTR center lock rotors.

Underskilled
    The new XT disks are very nice, I now have them back and front.
    Much higher quality that my Hope floating rotor (that is now in the bin).

As for the brakes, always found shimano a bit underpowered (apart from saint). Formula do a much better job.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Well my bike actually comes with Formula R1's but I don't think they are as good as Marta's (I did some research and have empirical experience with marta's)

As far as OP goes I was talking about trail version and I'll have to use adapters as well or perhaps last years rotors.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Well then it's settled, MARTAs all the way!

I have my rig fully XTR'ed out except for brakes. I did alot of research also before deciding on what to use for stopping. I didn't read alot of good about XTR which is why I chose Magura.

That said, although I have to assume that the new XTRs are improved, I'd be hesitant to buy something that wasn't already tried and true...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My hesitation actually comes from the fact that I'd have to use non-original rotors. I am sure this would be okay but on a bike I am getting okay isn't going to fly

mtbr member
    Coming from Marta SL Magnesiums 2009, going to SRAM / Avid XX brakes, I recently switched back to Marta SL's 2011 with the new Storm SL rotors. Difference between the 2009's with wave rotors is day and night : no longer the juddering issue the wave rotors were known for, and power has increased quite dramatically. Best brake ridden so far.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Cruiser
    Well my bike actually comes with Formula R1's but I don't think they are as good as Marta's.
    I bet you change your mind after one ride. Mine have been flawless, feel perfect, and are the lightest thing available. How can you beat that?
    I was so sold on them after one set of R1s that I've changed all my bikes over to R1s and The Ones.
    Keep the Country country.

Members who have read this thread: 1