2011 XTR M985 Installation help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2011 XTR M985 Installation help

My avid elixirs were rubbing a bit so I purchased a set of the 2011 XTR M985 brakes with the M988 levers. I have 160mm cleansweep g3 rotors. I am putting this on an 08 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 Rear worked fine to the IS adapter. On the front I have a reba fork with the post mount. Everything looked like it would work, but no matter how hard I tried it rubbed really bad. I couldn't get it centered. Do I need an adapter or something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Shouldn't do. Can you see where/which side it's rubbing? If you squeeze the lever, can you see the rotor pull either way? I've not had any dramas with mine at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    IT wouldn't center up. I put it on loosely, squeezed the lever, tightened the two bolts and the outside pad would always be dragging.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by scuuder3
    IT wouldn't center up. I put it on loosely, squeezed the lever, tightened the two bolts and the outside pad would always be dragging.
    You're doing it wrong.

Shimano setup is not the same as Avid.

You should remove your pads, and center the caliper over the rotor. The more perfectly centered your caliper is, the less you will have to fiddle around with the brakes in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just followed the included instructions, and they where to squeeze the lever to center the caliper and then to tighten. I will try to do it visually without the pads though.

Linoleum Knife
    I just followed the included instructions, and they where to squeeze the lever to center the caliper and then to tighten. I will try to do it visually without the pads though.
    Yeah - it doesn't really work that way. The only way I've found to get shimano calipers to keep from rubbing for more than one ride is to spend the time to center the calipers. If you bought the brakes retail, you should have gotten some shims for your IS rear brake. It'd be worth your time to go through the same process of centering using the shims on the rear caliper as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Yeah - it doesn't really work that way. The only way I've found to get shimano calipers to keep from rubbing for more than one ride is to spend the time to center the calipers. If you bought the brakes retail, you should have gotten some shims for your IS rear brake. It'd be worth your time to go through the same process of centering using the shims on the rear caliper as well.
    The shims won't do much good on a post mount fork/caliper interface.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith
    The shims won't do much good on a post mount fork/caliper interface.
    Rear worked fine to the IS adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    you should have gotten some shims for your IS rear brake. It'd be worth your time to go through the same process of centering using the shims on the rear caliper as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0