2011 Avid Elixr CR vs Shimano XT vs Magura Louise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2011 Avid Elixr CR vs Shimano XT vs Magura Louise

In looking at new 2011 bikes, Avid must have given a smoking deal on the Elixer CR's to manufacturers because many bikes are spec'd with them. Cannondale most notably.

People on the boards with a similar question generally are steered towards the shimano for reliability sake. Past Avid's have had some issues?

I think a person could swap out the Elixir CR's for the shimanos or Maguras and probably not loose much if any money. Is it worth it? Or should I wait and give Avids a shot in hopes of no issues in 2011?

The brakes would be for a 29er XC race bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uwprunner
    In looking at new 2011 bikes, Avid must have given a smoking deal on the Elixer CR's to manufacturers because many bikes are spec'd with them. Cannondale most notably.

People on the boards with a similar question generally are steered towards the shimano for reliability sake. Past Avid's have had some issues?

I think a person could swap out the Elixir CR's for the shimanos or Maguras and probably not loose much if any money. Is it worth it? Or should I wait and give Avids a shot in hopes of no issues in 2011?

The brakes would be for a 29er XC race bike.
    I test rode a Tallboy with Avid Elixirs...they squealed and I felt the modulation was not great, although they were plenty strong. Frankly, I preferred my XTs and on my new bike I'll be getting the new XTR brakes.

T.W.O.
    Have them all, go with Magura, you'll love it

mtbr member
    OP,
    These three brakes are the models I'm looking to spec on a custom frame I'm having built as well. Looking forward to replies, although there are threads with comparisons between two sets of each of the three you've posted here that I've read through that have some good information (seems you've read them, too).
    As you say, XT's seems to win out, but I am concerned about some people's claims of unreliability in cold weather. Also, Avid squeal, although copiously noted on the boards, seems to have a HUGE amount of variables. I know several people with CR's that have little to no squeal, and who love the performance.

Magura Louise BAT have me intrigued for a number of reasons:
    Great review here on MTBR within the last few months- http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/magura-...on-bat-review/
    Great review on Bikeradar- http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...rakes-10-37317

And, of course, reviews posted by mimi1885 and others in previous threads.
    Seems the Maguras are a nice choice and parts/pads are available lots of places. Warranty also seems like a solid selling point.

In the end, I guess we just have to make a decision and see how they work for our particular situation.

Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0