200mm vs 203mm Formula Rotors- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

200mm vs 203mm Formula Rotors

I have a pair of 2009 Formula The One brakes and am looking for rotors right now. I was looking at the wavy 203mm Formula rotors but they are getting harder to find because Formula changed things for 2010. It seems that the replacement is 200mm so it is very similar but obviously not the same. The difference would be 1.5mm at the caliper. I would really like to just throw a pair of rotors on and not have to worry about buying the adapters for different sizes of rotors. Would a 200mm rotor be essentially the same as a 203mm rotor thus allowing me to use the adapters already on my bike or would it be a better idea to stick with and search for the 203mm rotors?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hi mtbnozpikr,
    Give us a call in the office. The older Oro/2009DH rotors are available in both 200mm and 203mm, but the newer rotor design was only ever made in 203mm.

Cheers,

Chris

Perigeum Development
    info@formulabrakeusa.com

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch. My problem has been resolved.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dear all

I am not allowed to create a new thread since I don't have 5 posts thats why I decided to post in one of existing threads.

I've bought a formula oro puro brake set, but the seller on ebay indicated that the calipers are designed to work with 160 mm rotors but I need 203. Is it possible to use these calipers with 203 mm rotors somehow?

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avva View Post
    I am not allowed to create a new thread since I don't have 5 posts thats why I decided to post in one of existing threads.

I've bought a formula oro puro brake set, but the seller on ebay indicated that the calipers are designed to work with 160 mm rotors but I need 203. Is it possible to use these calipers with 203 mm rotors somehow?
    For what it's worth, you will get much more exposure and probably much better reception if you create your own thread and ask the question rather than just tacking it at the end of an unrelated thread. Four more posts isn't too much and you would probably be more satisfied with the results of doing things that way.

It sounds to me as if the ebay seller really doesn't know what he's talking about or how disc brakes work. The caliper remains the same but the adapter and rotor size can change. It frankly doesn't matter what size of rotor you want to run. All you need to do is find an adapter to make that possible so your caliper can engage the rotor. This link might help you: http://forums.mtbr.com/press-news-ar...ew-221840.html.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need a 203mm rotor for? That's an awful large rotor and unless you are doing an awful lot of downhill may not be necessary. There's nothing wrong with running one but it is a ton of power and the rotors are generally much more expensive than smaller rotors are.

The question you really need to ask yourself is whether or not your fork and frame are designed to work with such large rotors or if they will void the warranty/have potential of failing.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just out of curiosity, what do you need a 203mm rotor for? That's an awful large rotor and unless you are doing an awful lot of downhill may not be necessary. There's nothing wrong with running one but it is a ton of power and the rotors are generally much more expensive than smaller rotors are.

The question you really need to ask yourself is whether or not your fork and frame are designed to work with such large rotors or if they will void the warranty/have potential of failing.
    Thank you for your reply!

I just didn't know what to post since I am not very knowledgeable about mtb. As for rotors - I now have hayes HFX 9 brakes (those that were supplied with kona stinky primo back in 2001) with 203 front and 160 rear rotors. I have plenty of stopping power in the front and can do anything with my index finger but there is not enough power in the rear. I don't know how oro puro compares to hayes but I don't want to lose in power. I generally ride AM and am going to take my bike to Alps this summer so I think I will need large rotors to avoid overheating during sustained descents. I don't know whether I really need them though, but I pretty much liked how my current 203 mm rotor works.

Members who have read this thread: 3