Thread: 2009 Hopes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2009 Hopes?

a couple of years ago I pulled the pin and on a set of Mono M4, a month after I received them Hope released the new incarnation...

Now I'm looking to purchase a new set, anyone have any idea what they might be up to, anything in the pipeline, rumours, should i persevere with my MonoM4... or buy "the latest" monom4?

...idios...
    2007 was the year of change for Hope, with the aesthetic switch from black caliper and gold bore caps to silver caliper with black bore caps (link). The lever had a complete overhaul, including a new, less flexible clamp design and some small changes in the blade design. If it's not broken, don't fix it, is the expression which applies to the Monos. There's a limited edition red Mono M4 (link) which is available throughout June.

The only new brake from Hope is the V2 (link), which sits between the M4 and M6. It's a big, grabby brake, 203mm only (front or rear) and is also available with a vented rotor for those of us who ride in the Alps or who use their brakes too much.

Is there anything actually wrong with your current brakes?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi, absolutely nothing but they are going on my single speed, my XC FS will require new brakes. i just don't want to buy brakes and find they get superceded over night, hey if you are going to drop $1000 NZ on a set of brakes you want the latest model!

I'm still tossing up between M4 front and rear or m4/mini. I ride mostly XC and weigh 92kg

Hope brakes I have owned
    XC4
    enduro
    M4
    MonoM4
    Mini
    my current are the black and gold version

...idios...
    I guess it depends a lot on your riding style. I know a few people who ride with a 180mm M4 front and 160mm or 180mm Mono Mini rear. I also know guys of your build who are quite happy with a 180mm Mini front and rear.

Diogenes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    and idea what a rear 180 monomini weighs versus a 180 monom4?

...idios...
    Couldn't say for sure, but the difference between a 160mm Mini set-up and a 180mm M4 set-up is 55g. If the precise number is important, call Hope or try posting on the Weight Weenies forum.

Diogenes

Surfing trails
    Spam tax paid.

2008 Hope M4 Special Edition RED disc brakes for sale in classifieds.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod.../product/22163

Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0