2006 Avid Juicy 7 for DH use- Mtbr.com
    mortman
    Aug 2006

2006 Avid Juicy 7 for DH use

Would the 2006 Avid Juicy 7 (203mm) be enough brake for my Giant Faith? I mainly use the bike for Lift Pig service and have beat the crap out of the stock discs.

Anyone know if they would work well in this application?

I am 6-1 and 200#.

Just curious because they are on PricePoint for a deal right now.

Thanks
    ride to work, work to live, live to ride.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by mortman
    Would the 2006 Avid Juicy 7 (203mm) be enough brake for my Giant Faith? I mainly use the bike for Lift Pig service and have beat the crap out of the stock discs.

Anyone know if they would work well in this application?

I am 6-1 and 200#.

Just curious because they are on PricePoint for a deal right now.

Thanks

You can expect the rear to eventually boil the fluid & go away on you mid dh run at some point. This on dh runs, in all other areas these are good brakes.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    They are great brakes. If bled properly, they are extremely powerful and have a lot of modulation.

The fluid shouldn't boil if you're using what you should DOT4. It's boiling point is 446F...very high, unless they've absorbed water, then it drops to 311F. I've used them pretty hard and only gotten a tiny bit of fade after a while on high speed runs.

They start to lose braking power when they get too hot, because brakes work by converting motion into heat by friction. When the pads and rotors get too hot, the heat has nowhere to go, so they won't stop you (just in case you didnt already know).

Three sheets to the wind
    You may be better off going with the Avid code.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The 7's are a great brake....

but not really meant as a full on DH brake. For the bike you are using, your weight and the intended use, I'd highly recommend a 4 piston design like the Code or something similar. Brakes are no place to compromise on a DH bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

and B+W too
    I'd say this is a 'tools for the job' scenario...get a good downhill brake for downhilling. Thoughts are Codes, Formula 'The One' or my fav the Magura Gustav. Those brakes are in their element for downhills, whereas the J7 would be right on the edge of their performance envelope for full on DH.

Big Test Icycles
    I have ran my J7s at Whistler with no issues. If you are running a 203 up front they will be great. For the price they are at they are hard to beat. I weigh 230lbs and run 185 front and rear. I was not having any issue with brake fade at Whistler. I did have fade problem when they were new, I was sold the 160 rotors, not knowing any better. Bleed them out with Valvoline synthetic, it's compatable with DOT 4 and 5.1. I would not have any hesetation using Juicy 7s. The Code 5 brakes look nice for the money too, You can get a set of them for about $270 at Universal Cycle, after the discount.

Members who have read this thread: 0