185mm post mount adaptors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

185mm post mount adaptors?

Hi Guys,

I'm relatively new to this whole brake business, and I have one big question for you guys.

I recently bought a pair of Avid Juicy 7 brakes from an ebay store, and they didn't realize they had run out of 160mm rear brake sets. Instead they opted to send me a 185mm rear. I don't really want to put the 185mm rotor on the rear, and I'd much rather put that on the front. So what I'm wondering (these packages aren't in yet, I know this via ebay message), is if I can do this right out of the box (I'm running a Fox Vanilla 32 RLC on the front), or do I need to buy an adaptor to fit the 7 inch rotor?

Also, I know has probably been discussed quit heavily, but would it really be worth it to put on a larger rotor on the front (I have a new 160mm clean sweep just sitting around), or should I just stick to 160mm rotors?

thanks!

Yes, you will need a new adapter to put the 185 on the front, and you'll need the proper adapter to put the 160 on the rear. You will be MUCH happier with the bigger-in-front arrangement.

mtbr member
    I believe not only do you need a adapter but you also need the hardware kit also.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    I believe not only do you need a adapter but you also need the hardware kit also.
    I think the hardware kit that comes with the brake should work but he may need hardware to mount the new adapter on the front, not sure on that one. Avid adapters don't usually come with hardware.

mtbr member
    All I know is is when you look at the adapters online they dont come with hardware. When you look at the Hardware they have difference sizes that go with the brackets.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Adapters do not include hardware , use your existing hardware in alot of cases . Ask when ordering .

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, I put the order in for an adapter via pricepoint, it said the hardware was included aswell. I have an old 160mm rear adapter that I was using on my bb5's before the rear broke (which is why I upgraded to the juicy's in the first place). So hopefully I'll be all set.

Thanks alot guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11
    Well, I put the order in for an adapter via pricepoint, it said the hardware was included aswell. I have an old 160mm rear adapter that I was using on my bb5's before the rear broke (which is why I upgraded to the juicy's in the first place). So hopefully I'll be all set.

Thanks a lot guys.
    +1 for finding a adapter with hardware. I have thought about doing the same upgrade you are doing, and I swear when I looked they did not come with hardware.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I believe the 185mm avid post mount adapter is the only avid adapter that comes with hardware.

mtbr member
    The bolts that are holding your current brakes on will hold the adapter on. The Avids come with the hardware to mount the caliper to the adapter. That's all you'll need. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    The bolts that are holding your current brakes on will hold the adapter on. The Avids come with the hardware to mount the caliper to the adapter. That's all you'll need. ttyl, Fahn
    The Avid 185mm post adapter is just a spacer block and uses two longer bolts that go through the adapter.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tussery
    The Avid 185mm post adapter is just a spacer block and uses two longer bolts that go through the adapter.
    That's the way the Hayes 180 post adapter works. It comes with the longer bolts.
    I've got an Avid 185 adapter in the parts box I haven't used yet but it is IS so it uses the existing hardware both to bolt the adapter on and to attach the caliper.

Members who have read this thread: 0