180 or 203?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 180 or 203?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

180 or 203?

So I'm looking at upgrading my front rotor on my 2009 Anthem X3. It's 160mm stock and the braking power is pretty bad, probably because of my weight, almost 190 lbs. I was thinking I'd also go to better pads, but what rotor size should I go with, 180 or 203mm? The stopping power of 203 sounds great but I've heard there are some issues with them.

The reason I decided to upgrade is this: One day I was going down a decent size hill where I normally bike. The hill is pretty steep but not anything you can go too fast down as the trail condition is not that good. If I didn't brake I'd be going well over 30 MPH and this particular area is definitely not safe at that speed. I was using mostly my front brake on the way down for probably 15 seconds at most. By the time I was done the rotor had warped and was hitting the caliper mount on the fork. That was pretty irritating. I'm hoping bigger rotors will solve this, or at least improve it. Maybe shimano rotors are bad, but I'm sure 160 is a little inadequate for my weight.

Thanks

newie
    Jan 2009
    what brake are you using?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    if it were me i would go with 180 up front and keep the 160 out back. sometimes with the 203 your brakes kinda lose their feel and can be kinda touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrien
    what brake are you using?

Shimano M486

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by micro224
    if it were me i would go with 180 up front and keep the 160 out back. sometimes with the 203 your brakes kinda lose their feel and can be kinda touchy.

Hmm, that's probably what I'll do then, the M486 do have a nice feel so it would be cool to retain that. Hopefully that will be a nice increase in power.

And yes they're shimano M486.

mtbr member

Brakes

I am running front 180mm, rear 160mm. Most bikes have the setup.

Members who have read this thread: 0