160 / 185 / 203- Mtbr.com

Thread: 160 / 185 / 203

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

160 / 185 / 203

I just ordered a Redline Monocog Flight 29. I wasn't happy with the BB5's on the bike I rode at the shop. They required too much lever force to lock them up. I want to replace them with the BB7's and am wondering if I should go to 185 or 203 mm from the 160's.

Also, is anyone aware of a different set of cables that would help with brake performance?

No, that's not phonetic
    You could run a 185 in front and leave the rear at 160. Most of the braking power comes from the front wheel. Any die-drawn stainless cable and a decent quality, lined, generic housing (like QBP's house brand) that has been cut correctly (with a dremel- not with the ends crushed) should give you very smooth, compression free action.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is there any disadvantage to running 185ís on the rear also?

i like rocks
    if your going to upgrade brakes why would you not go hydro?

...idios...
    It's not usual for a brake on a shop bike to be bedded in fully. The BB7 and BB5 work the same way, although the BB7 has a slightly different level of adjustment.
    Don't write off any system until you've tried a version which is fully set up and the pads/rotors have bedded in.
    Peace,
    Steve

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Steve makes a good point... it is very likely the brakes at the shop were not bedded in.... the only thing I would see as disadvantage of also running a 180/185 rotor in the rear is that if you are a lightweight, the brake could lock up very easily as your weight shifts forward.

As Tscheezy stated, you can get a bigger front rotor and stay with 160 in the rear... I personally run 203/180 in my FS and 185/160 on my ss and feel good with both setups, but I weight about 210 lbs.

mtbr member
    I would just go by your weight. Larger rotors will more easily stop larger people.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    It's not usual for a brake on a shop bike to be bedded in fully. The BB7 and BB5 work the same way, although the BB7 has a slightly different level of adjustment.
    Don't write off any system until you've tried a version which is fully set up and the pads/rotors have bedded in.
    Peace,
    Steve
    Agreed! Until they have bedded in a disc brake can fell and work poorly.

With the last bike I put new BB7s on I could not stop the bike while pedaling on the flat at first. By the end of the first 12 mile ride they were up to the one-finger performance I love.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the info. Didn't think about the brakes not being bedded in. I'll give the stock ones a shot for a month or so and see how they work. If I'm not satisfied, I'll go to the 185's. BTW: I'm not a "light weight" 200 lbs.

Double-metric mtb man
    Definitely give the brakes a chance to get bedded and broken in before passing final judgement.

Big front (203) and smaller rear (160) seems to work well for me at my 235-240lb (before gear) weight.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Freshly Fujified

Good question

Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    if your going to upgrade brakes why would you not go hydro?
    Potentially several reasons to include cost and the fact that a well set up Avid mechanical disc brake configuration performs as well or better than some hydros. Preferences play a part also.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Actually I was in the same boat of having OEM discs, but couldn't find replacement pads and would have to buy a complete new set of brakes - calipers, lines levers - and was going to go BB7's, but when I added up the cost of getting them all it was so close to a set of HOPE Mono Mini's that I went with them instead. The good thing about going mech disc is that if you already have levers for V-Brakes you just need to buy the calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Potentially several reasons to include cost and the fact that a well set up Avid mechanical disc brake configuration performs as well or better than some hydros. Preferences play a part also.

Bob
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0