140mm Avid road brake- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

140mm Avid road brake

Here is the deal. Im thinking of putting a disc on the rear of my son's 20mtb and saw Avid makes a 140mm road version. Do they require less cable pull? If thats the case could I use a standard BMX lever or non v style to "tone down the braking" or what would the effects be with a standard V lever?. I know there are some $$ 140mm rear brakes out there but......its a 20" mtb
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    avid road calipers use a short pull lever. you could use a old school canti brake lever. if you use a v brake/ long pull you wont have enough braking power. why not a regular 160mm?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by m-dub
    Here is the deal. Im thinking of putting a disc on the rear of my son's 20mtb and saw Avid makes a 140mm road version. Do they require less cable pull? If thats the case could I use a standard BMX lever or non v style to "tone down the braking" or what would the effects be with a standard V lever?. I know there are some $$ 140mm rear brakes out there but......its a 20" mtb
    The BB7 Road uses short pull levers. Would probably work with a BMX lever.

You can also use any "front" 160mm IS caliper/bracket with a 140mm rotor on the rear. The small rotor works great with 20" wheels.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    avid road calipers use a short pull lever. you could use a old school canti brake lever. if you use a v brake/ long pull you wont have enough braking power. why not a regular 160mm?
    Hes 55lbs and dont want a "on or off" style brake and the 160 stops 150lbs with ease so a 140mm seams in order. The reason I was thinking road was to "tone down" the braking so its not a skid machine.
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The BB7 Road uses short pull levers. Would probably work with a BMX lever.

You can also use any "front" 160mm IS caliper/bracket with a 140mm rotor on the rear. The small rotor works great with 20" wheels.
    Thanks for the heads up on the adapter but I have to machine one because its doesnít currently have disc tabs. Iím guessing with a longer pull modulation should be better. Im thinking with his little hands that a short pull might be the ticket but if that also means less power/harder pull, then standard brake seams like the better way to go? Oh hell, I should just go hydro 
    Enjoy every ride!

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    Why a disc brake for a 55lb kid on a 20" bike? whats wrong with a v'brake or bmx style brake?

Thanks for the heads up on the adapter but I have to machine one because its doesnít currently have disc tabs. Iím guessing with a longer pull modulation should be better. Im thinking with his little hands that a short pull might be the ticket but if that also means less power/harder pull, then standard brake seams like the better way to go? Oh hell, I should just go hydro 
    No, the road disc is designed for a short pull lever. It takes no more effort than the Mtn disc with "regular" long pull levers and still has all the braking power.

Just put good V-brakes on the bike with adjustable reach levers. MUCH cheaper and easier and the braking will be about as good.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It takes quite a bit of strength to sqeeze his current V's. He's not riding bike paths, hes doing 6 mile xc decents that we have to stop because he cant pull his brakes any longer. And a good set of v's cost the same as a set of bb7's. I have a old disc hub laying around so no issue there. Just weighing my options.
    Enjoy every ride!

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    It takes quite a bit of strength to sqeeze his current V's. He's not riding bike paths, hes doing 6 mile xc decents that we have to stop because he cant pull his brakes any longer. And a good set of v's cost the same as a set of bb7's. I have a old disc hub laying around so no issue there. Just weighing my options.
    the v'brakes are not set up properly then.

the spring tension screws can be backed off to the point of just enough tension to still retract the pads from the rim and they will be infinitely easier for him to pull than when the tension is higher.

the other thing you can do is put on a fresh cable/housing. use linear housing if you want more more for him but new housing and cable then once installed lube the cable/housing with prolink or triflow or whatever your lube of choice is.

make the brakes feel like butter.

I dont think buying a disc brake would necessarily solve his problems of hand cramping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree

the spring tension screws can be backed off to the point of just enough tension to still retract the pads from the rim and they will be infinitely easier for him to pull than when the tension is higher.

the other thing you can do is put on a fresh cable/housing. use linear housing if you want more more for him but new housing and cable then once installed lube the cable/housing with prolink or triflow or whatever your lube of choice is.

I dont think buying a disc brake would necessarily solve his problems of hand cramping.
    I agree new cables and housing may be in order, no need to lube new cables or teflon coatedcables. Kind of surprised his small 20 inch wheel bike supports disc brakes. If you can correctly adjust the brake levers you can have almost no pull needed to send you over the bars. His cables are probably stretched out and need to be replaced.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFree

Also, removing the return springs in the brake levers will reduce the hand effort required. They add nothing to the braking other than a snappy feel and harder pull.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks guys for all the info. Much of which I already knew but I guess I just wanted to do someithing different/trick. You know....we all do it, weather we "really" need to or not.
    Enjoy every ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0