140 Front rotor- Mtbr.com

Thread: 140 Front rotor

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

140 Front rotor

I'm thinking of putting a 140mm rotor on the front of my bike. Is there a caliper adapter out there that will let me do this. Caliper is 74mm fork tab is 51mm. Bike is a ridged SS.

Thanks
    Tim

Meh.
    No. Smallest you can run on the front is 160. 140 is for the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    just curious why do you want a 140 on the front anyway?

mtbr member
    Agree with previous replies. 140 for rear is fine, but not powerful enough for front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Me plus the bike might weight 190lbs. It seems that every time I grab the front brake it wants to toss me on the ground. I'm just trying to tone the front brake down a little. The brakes are Tektro Augia Comp. So nothing special there.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimT
    Me plus the bike might weight 190lbs. It seems that every time I grab the front brake it wants to toss me on the ground. I'm just trying to tone the front brake down a little. The brakes are Tektro Augia Comp. So nothing special there.

Tim
    Auriga's aren't especially brutal, with a 160mm rotor it shouldn't be pitching you off when you pull the lever. Sounds like you could do with a grippier front tyre, or possibly alter your braking technique.

Meh.
    I think he needs less traction if it's trying to buck him. That way it will skid rather than grip and try to take him with it.

But... it's much easier just to work on modulating the brakes and adjusting your body position.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about changing the pads? Which ones? Stock ones on the bike right now. I have no idea what they are made from.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not trying to be a smartass but don't pull the lever so hard, it's that simple. Why limit the braking capability to band-aid a technique issue?

I'm running 203mm BB7s with one finger endo capability and not once have I had a problem with accidentally going over the bars.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

I Have Cookies
    it's all about modulation......you just need to adjust the way you brake! I'd hate to see what would happen to you with XTR V's and ceramic rim's...............
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You're going to need to learn proper braking techniques. Don't squeeze so hard.

There's people out there running way more brake than you and not going OTB - its all in the modulation.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

AZ
    banned
    Try braking with one finger if you dont do it already .

um hmmm
    Nov 2009
    L2brake.

come on are you that simple you can't figure it out? pull the lever with less force. Do you drive a car? How do you use the brakes in that? stomp on them as hard as you can all the time or gradually apply the brake until you come to a smooth stop.

This has to be a troll...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    it's all about modulation......you just need to adjust the way you brake! I'd hate to see what would happen to you with XTR V's and ceramic rim's...............

LOL funny you should say that. Last bike had Mustang ceramic coated rims with XTR's. Didn't have this problem cause I was able to adjust the cable to were I liked it. this is my first hydro disc brake bike. I really wanted to tune the bike around me not me adjust to the bike. call me hard headed but I feel that I should be able to do that.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TimT
    LOL funny you should say that. Last bike had Mustang ceramic coated rims with XTR's. Didn't have this problem cause I was able to adjust the cable to were I liked it. this is my first hydro disc brake bike. I really wanted to tune the bike around me not me adjust to the bike. call me hard headed but I feel that I should be able to do that.

Tim

So in other words - you're used to riding with improperly adjusted brakes?

Again - learn proper braking technique.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    what if I really want to do this because I'll be riding the bike on the road...

going to be making a custom fork anyways so I'm sure we can work it out, but I'm curious if there is an adaptor...

Meh.
    There is not an adapter.

Members who have read this thread: 0