09 Formula K24 vs. 09 Magura Louise BAT- Mtbr.com
    ....just cruisin through

09 Formula K24 vs. 09 Magura Louise BAT

I am trying to make the final decision for new stoppers to replace my POS Juicy 5s. I have decided on either the Formula K24 or the Magura Louise BAT. I want separate reach and contact adjustment (both have). I do not see the K24 on Formula's website anymore, are these discontinued?

I am a 250# monster that rides a TBC Bottlerocket all over the mountain (down being my favorite direction) in dry locations (PHX, AZ)

My main priorities (in order) are:

Ease of set-up/adjustment
    Noise
    Ease of bleeding
    Customer Service
    Price of new pads

I have rotors that I am happy with (Formula 203 front, Galfer 180 rear) so that is not an issue. Hoping someone out there has had experience with both and can let me know their opinions.

Please do not post for one or the other just because "Germany TRUMPS Italy", or other useless jiber-jaber based on your OPINION and not your EXPERIENCE.

Thanks-
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am 100lbs less than you. So take my opinion with 1/100 grain of salt.

To address your points in order...

My K24s were very easy to setup, even on two different bikes. I literally bolted them on, centered the caliper and I was good. There is some very minor rotor rub in the rear but I attribute that the rotor being slightly warped.

Brakes are silent, even when wet they do not squeak or anything. Early on there was something very reminicent of a turkey gobble in the rear. It wasn't loud but at some point it disappeared. Pad break in perhaps.

I haven't had to bleed them yet, but they are not very complex. An avid bleed kit will go a long way. One problem that I see is that the bleed port is in bewteen the lever and handle bars, this isn't the best engineered bleed port. To get a solid bleed I think you would have to take the lever off the handlebars so you could position the bleed port vertical with respect to the ground.

Nor have I had to experience Formula CS in the year I've had the brakeset. However there are many people who have had positive experience with the distributed and a few that have been through hell. Just search the brake forum and you'll get an idea.

Lastly, I have yet to replace the pads since I've owned them, but then again I'm 100lbs less than you. My LBS sells pads (I think Koolstop, maybe genuine Formula) for $30 a pair. Which is about $5 more than Avids and Hayes there. So if you shop online I'm sure you can find them cheaper.

banned
    Sep 2007
    At 240 pounds, (I weigh 225) go with 200mm rotors, and if you want to stop, not slow down, look at the Formula mega's instead of the K series in their lineup. Far more sintered material on the pads, something us Clydes need to consider, in the Mega, The One, etc lineup.

mtbr member
    I too was looking for a replacement for my Juicy 7's. I just wasn't too hot on the price of the Formula brakes, and seemingly few deals to be found. Found a great deal on '09 Louise BAT with 180mm rotors for $220. Couldn't pass it up, I paid more than that for my Juicy's and have never been happy with them. All my research came up with pretty much glowing reviews for the Louise, yet they seem to kinda fly under the radar on the forums.

Only hydraulic disc's I have had have been Avid's (Codes, Juicy 5 and 7's) and just haven't been too impressed with 'em. I am an auto mechanic and kinda picky though...I'll chime in when I get my Louise BAT's mounted up and working next week.

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    I ride k18s' at 180lbs and they have been perfect in the nastiest of conditions, very light for the weight and I see no need to get the k24s over these

Ow!
    I used the previous generation of Louise's (IS mount), but currently using Formula K24, Mega/One and Elixirs.

The Louise's worked well--great modulation and good stopping power. The K24s have almost the same modulation but substantially more stopping power. The Megas/Ones are superior to both in modulation and stopping power.

Considering your priorities:
    Ease of set-up/adjustment--The Formulas are easy, as I would think the newer Louise's would be also.
    Noise--About the same-very little. I need to clean sticky pistons occasionally on both, which you may have to (I am in Tucson with the same conditions as Phoenix).
    Ease of bleeding--My Louise's are much easier to bleed, though that shouldn't be needed on any of them that often.
    Customer Service--I found superior CS from Magura (a few years back) and Formula (current).
    Price of new pads--I haven't checked, but I would think similar. I think non-Formula pads for Formulas are becoming more available. Check other threads--some are finding Formula pads (at least Mega/Ones) wear fast, though I am not having that problem.

I agree with RandyBoy--check out Megas. Formulas are expensive, but the Megas have the biggest bang for the buck. You may not be able to find K24s anymore. New Megas seem to have a different lever assembly though.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Both are really good

I have owned both and like both but I find the Formula's to be the cat's meow. The only brake I may like as well is the Shimano systems. You can't really lose with either Magura or Formula or Shimano.

The White Jeff W
    I have K24's on two bikes. Great brakes but can be a ***** to bleed. For me anyways.

mtbr member
    Just got my '09 Louise BAT installed, but have not yet ridden. (Waiting on rear shock to comeback from PUSH). HOWEVER, installation was a breeze, even shortening the hose was easy and no need to bleed afterward. No problems setting them up without any rotor rub. Initial impressions are that these are leagues above the Juicy's I had before( 5 and 7 ). Lever feel is awesome, and the BAT adjustment is immediately noticeable, as opposed to the 30 turns of the pad contact adjuster on the Juicy 7. Just the feel of the lever and master cylinder is much more solid. Can't wait to get my shock bolted up and go for a ride.

Picked mine up off of eBay. Full set with 180mm rotors for $220 shipped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrazm
    My main priorities (in order) are:

Ease of set-up/adjustment
    Noise
    Ease of bleeding
    Customer Service
    Price of new pads
    -
    For your main priorities there is nothing wrong w the 2009 louises, however, a few bigger guys i ride with have moved away from the newer louise as they have been having fade issues (even w big rotors).

Members who have read this thread: 0