08 XT brakes- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: 08 XT brakes

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    28

    08 XT brakes

    Are the 08 XT brakes as good as the XTR's? I know some people with XTR and the say they don't have much power. Even in contrast to the 06 xtr's. Are the XT's just a beefier version of the XTR's, gaining weight for power and adjustability?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    28
    bump

  3. #3
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    the 08 xt have the servo wave cam that gives them 20 % more power.
    I have 07 xtr and I dont have any problem with stopping. they do have to be perfectly adjusted though

  4. #4
    Two wheels are best
    Reputation: DM-SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    I'd like to try the '08 XT's out...IF I could find them...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

    Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

  5. #5
    overrated/underestimated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    163
    I read in O2 Bikers (belgian bike mag) that the XT's were disappointing in brake power. They were to be re-bled every week or else they won't stop well.
    yeah, I know
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Maybe "AM" riding will break a XC bike, but maybe XC riding will break an AM rider

  6. #6
    Two wheels are best
    Reputation: DM-SC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by harry_the_ripper
    I read in O2 Bikers (belgian bike mag) that the XT's were disappointing in brake power. They were to be re-bled every week or else they won't stop well.
    Defective set or someone doesn't know how to bleed them???
    Never be afraid to try something new.

    Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    914
    I've got 07 XT's on both my bikes and they work great and consistent every time and I've never had a loss of pressure or not been able to lock them up. They squeal every now and then but I just hose the dust off and they'er good for another few rides with no noise. The modulation and stopping power are good. Although, I only weigh 155 lbs fully loaded.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    99
    I'm using the 08 xt caliper, with the 08 xt dualcontrol (metallic pads m06 and 07 xtr rotors with 180/160mm)
    The power at least the same as the "old" xt. (the old xt was very powerful for me)

    I think the servo wave not depends on the caliper, it is in the lever only. So you also get servo wave with a new 08 xt lever and an old caliper, but I'm not sure about this.

    The paddle clearance is unbelievable, this is the first hydro brake with I have no drag/rub/rotor noise at all.

    (Of course I don't need to re-bleed every weak... )

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,941

    '08 Xt

    These were the most impressive brakes I rode at Interbike. Good modulation, good lever feel, great power. The '08 magura louise were close.
    The formula ouros were stronger but a bit grabby. I rode 4-5 different bikes with the Juicy 7s and they all felt different. Some good... some not so much.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  10. #10
    Lover, not a fighter...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    281
    I was going to get XTR instead, but it looks like I've been convinced to get the XTs with XT wheels and XTR rotors. Seems to be the best bang for the buck for a dependable, true UST wheelset (that are under 1700g!) and potentially increased stopping power and overall performance for the brakes over last year's. How can you go wrong?

    Any weights on the '08 XT brakeset yet?

  11. #11
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by JaLove
    I was going to get XTR instead, but it looks like I've been convinced to get the XTs with XT wheels and XTR rotors. Seems to be the best bang for the buck for a dependable, true UST wheelset (that are under 1700g!) and potentially increased stopping power and overall performance for the brakes over last year's. How can you go wrong?

    Any weights on the '08 XT brakeset yet?
    I weighed some and the 08 XT levers are 129g each, calipers w/pads are 113g. Depending on hose length you're looking at ~282g - 292g for caliper/hose/lever.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    28
    bump.

  13. #13
    MOBtown
    Reputation: PALMEJ1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    120
    My complete 08 XT front brake system (lever, caliper, hose, and fluid, all assembled) weighed in at 308 grams on the digi's
    KENDA

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    106

    Free Stroke vs Lever adjust

    What is the difference between free stroke and lever adjust? They sound the same to me. Can someone please explain the difference.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    34
    the reach adjust will set of far from the bar the lever will start
    the free stroke adjustment will set at which point of the travel of the lever the pads will contact the rotor.
    one adjustment does not interfere with the other

  16. #16
    Singletrack Addict!!!
    Reputation: Relayden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    905
    Got a set and installed them yesterday, was using a set of new galfer metalic pads on my previous generation xt so carried them over. I must say WOW, power was amazing! I always felt the 06 xt were not on par with the previous 4 pot (which I still got) with 170mm. Even with 185mm rotor you could say power was not greater or equal to the 4 pots with the 170mm rotor. Now power is back! Levers feel great, have more mounting freedom, pads clear rotor better, I think the springs are a little stiffer now..maybe. Overall they look better and feel great, highly recommend them

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    Got a set and installed them yesterday, was using a set of new galfer metalic pads on my previous generation xt so carried them over. I must say WOW, power was amazing! I always felt the 06 xt were not on par with the previous 4 pot (which I still got) with 170mm. Even with 185mm rotor you could say power was not greater or equal to the 4 pots with the 170mm rotor. Now power is back! Levers feel great, have more mounting freedom, pads clear rotor better, I think the springs are a little stiffer now..maybe. Overall they look better and feel great, highly recommend them
    That's good to know. I've been debating on getting another set of Codes, Juicy's or XTs. I know the Codes are overkill, but I love them on my trail bike. I've always had good luck with my XT 4pot and 765s, but must say the Codes have me giddy with the power.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PuddleDuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,194
    do a search on the Turner forum.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    96
    I've also just fitted a set of '08 XT brakes. I'd had it with the noise and pad drag of the Juicys on my Reign and thought these were worth a try.

    So far I'm impressed- they are plenty powerful and have stacks of pad clearance. I'd recommend them

  20. #20
    Murag Kanding!!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    187

    2008 XTm775 Disc Brakes...

    Just got a set of 08 XT's m775... looks cool and very promising features.
    I've been riding an 05 XT dual shifter/brake control with no problems... very powerful and reliable. No problems at all. Only changed the rear rotor due to a crash and front pads due to wear and tear.
    The only problem so far with XT 2008 are they are not sold as set as of this time.
    I purchased a set of levers and a caliper at Performance Bike.com separately.
    The Disc brake caliper I thought was a pair of front and rear.... when I asked the tech support he said that the pair comes with a ROTOR and a caliper.... Liar! When I got it, it was just a caliper! NO adapters, no rotor...
    Performance poorly described it, worse their tech has no clue about it.
    I have to order another caliper to complete my disc brake system. Man I wish shimano sells them as a set and describe them properly. I found out that most online stores just sells them individually, except the levers, with incomplete description.
    I dont know about its performance yet. I will set this up with my SC Chameleon single speed.

  21. #21
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,685
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcort27
    Just got a set of 08 XT's m775... looks cool and very promising features.
    I've been riding an 05 XT dual shifter/brake control with no problems... very powerful and reliable. No problems at all. Only changed the rear rotor due to a crash and front pads due to wear and tear.
    The only problem so far with XT 2008 are they are not sold as set as of this time.
    I purchased a set of levers and a caliper at Performance Bike.com separately.
    The Disc brake caliper I thought was a pair of front and rear.... when I asked the tech support he said that the pair comes with a ROTOR and a caliper.... Liar! When I got it, it was just a caliper! NO adapters, no rotor...
    Performance poorly described it, worse their tech has no clue about it.
    I have to order another caliper to complete my disc brake system. Man I wish shimano sells them as a set and describe them properly. I found out that most online stores just sells them individually, except the levers, with incomplete description.
    I dont know about its performance yet. I will set this up with my SC Chameleon single speed.
    these guys sell it all
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...?ModelID=23437

  22. #22
    Murag Kanding!!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    187

    Chanin Reactions XT for sale...

    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    Yeah I like the the way they describe their products... however they only have a left lever instead of both. What I mean is I wish Shimano would sell them with an option for the whole set. Most other brake system they have it as all in one or at least front/rear with all the rotor/caliper/hose/adapter/lever included.

    I was disappointed with my experience at performancebike.com. Although I would say I still got a deal from them being a member I spent $321 for the whole system without rotors. I spent another $50 on a pair of 6 bolt 160mm shimano rotors.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.