07 Juicy 7 front brake is over heating- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

07 Juicy 7 front brake is over heating

The front brake system (rotor, caliper and pads) over heat on an extended and super steep descent. I am running stock Avid pads, which are metalic, and a 160mm rotors.

Is there a silver bullet cure for this such as a softer pad, different type of rotor, size of rotor?

It does not happen all the time, just on the longer/steeper descents. I have to stop and let them cool down or put up with the noise. If I squirt water on the rotor/caliper I am good to go, but this is probably a really bad thing to do.

Thanks for any info.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Yea, um, don't spray water on them. You risk cracking the rotor and losing braking capabilities.

Can you fit a larger rotor on your bike? I think that would help. You would need to brake less aggresively due to to increased torque, and also the increased mass of the rotor would help dissipate more heat.

Meh.
    Flush out all that nasty old DOT fluid. Replace it with a high performance glycol based DOT fluid. Motul RBF600 and DOT 5.1 are popular. Nice high boiling point. Over time the DOT fluid will absorb moisture and the boiling point will drop.

A different pad compound may help some.

Don't drag brakes.

mtbr member
    Cool, some good info!

I can fit a larger rotor up front and think it would help disipate heat and maybe require less aggression on the brakes (on most trails).

DOT fluid absorbing moisture over time... hmmm.. maybe this is why it was not an issue several months ago and now it is. I will find some and give this a go along with a softer organic pad. There's a number of posts regarding good results with Galfer greens.

As for dragging brakes - never! On, or off, especially on the particular trail where I encounter this issue at the same spot each time. It drops 1,400 feet in 1.2 miles with speeds ranging from 40mph and on down. Just a serious amount of braking and a blast to ride!

Thanks for the input on this!

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    Yes, a larger rotor will definitely help, just make sure that your fork is designed to take it.

Dragging brakes is definitely not a good thing to do, but that being said, I do it several times, because I am a total wimp when I am at some really technical downhil....
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Members who have read this thread: 0