' 07 BB7 best cable setup?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! ' 07 BB7 best cable setup?

    Apart from the "Full Metal Jacket" system... what is the best cable to run on an Avid BB7 mechanical brake system?

    I need to set one up for a friend who just got a set of ' 07 BB7 calipers and disks with some nice Avid levers for an early Christmas present. He asked me to set it up, even though I normally use hydraulics.

    I used to use ordinary generic brake cable and housing on the old V-brakes, but i'm thinking that there must be something more efficient out by now? That old stuff had quite a bit of compression loss.

    Is the Avid cable any good?


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  2. #2
    Your bike is incorrigible
    Reputation: Guyechka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,179
    During its first build, my bike had full metal jackets. During the second build I didn't want to deal with setting up all the little bits of metal tube, so I went with straight jackets. For the life of me, I can't tell a difference. No cable system will match the feel of hydros. I have noticed cable stretch on both my bike's set ups. On the plus side, the BB7s still work a hell of a lot better than Vs.

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Apart from the "Full Metal Jacket" system... what is the best cable to run on an Avid BB7 mechanical brake system?

    I need to set one up for a friend who just got a set of ' 07 BB7 calipers and disks with some nice Avid levers for an early Christmas present. He asked me to set it up, even though I normally use hydraulics.

    I used to use ordinary generic brake cable and housing on the old V-brakes, but i'm thinking that there must be something more efficient out by now? That old stuff had quite a bit of compression loss.

    Is the Avid cable any good?


    R.
    Best: Full length Nokon.
    Still works great: Any high end brake housing - full length.

    Teflon coated cables in both, no lube. Keep the routing straight and bends wide and gentle.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176
    Any particular brand of inner cables with the Nokon outer shiggy?

    If I decide to go with 'ordinary' full length outers instead of the Nokon stuff, which brand outers?

    I can source this stuff from anywhere, I just need specific info on brand names...eg: Avid, Shimano. etc..etc..

    I'm looking for the best setup for him with flexible / semi-flexible inners and outers that has the least compression loss...I guess.


    Thanks,


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Any particular brand of inner cables with the Nokon outer shiggy?

    If I decide to go with 'ordinary' full length outers instead of the Nokon stuff, which brand outers?

    I can source this stuff from anywhere, I just need specific info on brand names...eg: Avid, Shimano. etc..etc..

    I'm looking for the best setup for him with flexible / semi-flexible inners and outers that has the least compression loss...I guess.


    Thanks,


    R.
    I use Jagwire cables.

    I have not shopped for housing in years. Still using a 30m roll of QBP, now discontinued in favor of Jagwire housings.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: velo bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    284
    I run a good quality der. housing on mine w/a noticable power improvment.

  7. #7
    neutiquam erro
    Reputation: Chris130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,109
    I run full-length Avid Flak Jackets (and I mean full-length housing; I drilled out my cable guides) for both my RD and brakes (old-school Avid MBBDs) with Jagwire tefon cables (no lube!). Haven't had this set-up for too long, but it seems like a winner. We'll see if the FJs are worth it in the long run... I do like the peace-of-mind of having full-length housing though.

    Cheers, Chris

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by velo bum
    I run a good quality der. housing on mine w/a noticable power improvment.
    Bad idea. If it is Shimano SIS housing it WILL split and blowout - while you are braking - leaving you with no brakes.

    Some other brands add a spiral wrap over the parallel strands to prevent this.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176
    Some background info...

    The guy i'm setting this up for rides a "ratbike" ... I call it a 'ratbike' because it is hardly ever cleaned, and whenever I get it in the shop to service it for him, I have to practically strip it down to the bare frame to clean it all up.

    He is a very good rider though, and can leave me for dead on the trails...he just doesn't care about maintenance...

    His GF purchased the brakes for him for Christmas...minus the cables.


    Now...I have his bike here ready to fit the new brakes...it's all cleaned and serviced..

    The thing is...he rides it like he stole it, 10/10 all the time. He is fast and fearless, but he does crash a fair bit because he tries "impossible" things. Sometimes he actually makes it..


    Ok, now back to the brake cables....

    I figure that I will be doing the servicing on these, so I need to set them up so that they are pretty much "indestructible" because of the way he rides, and easy to tweak so that I don't have to spend hours fixing them up every time he brings the bike back for a tune-up.

    That is the main reason why I said 'no' to the Full Metal Jacket setup...he would just bend that stuff all out of shape.

    I've done some research on the 'best' cable setups on mtbr for BB7's and the results were inconclusive at best.

    It seems the Jagwire stuff is favoured so far...yes?

    Thanks for the advice everyone.. I have to try and decide on this asap.


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Some background info...

    The guy i'm setting this up for rides a "ratbike" ... I call it a 'ratbike' because it is hardly ever cleaned, and whenever I get it in the shop to service it for him, I have to practically strip it down to the bare frame to clean it all up.

    He is a very good rider though, and can leave me for dead on the trails...he just doesn't care about maintenance...

    His GF purchased the brakes for him for Christmas...minus the cables.


    Now...I have his bike here ready to fit the new brakes...it's all cleaned and serviced..

    The thing is...he rides it like he stole it, 10/10 all the time. He is fast and fearless, but he does crash a fair bit because he tries "impossible" things. Sometimes he actually makes it..


    Ok, now back to the brake cables....

    I figure that I will be doing the servicing on these, so I need to set them up so that they are pretty much "indestructible" because of the way he rides, and easy to tweak so that I don't have to spend hours fixing them up every time he brings the bike back for a tune-up.

    That is the main reason why I said 'no' to the Full Metal Jacket setup...he would just bend that stuff all out of shape.

    I've done some research on the 'best' cable setups on mtbr for BB7's and the results were inconclusive at best.

    It seems the Jagwire stuff is favoured so far...yes?

    Thanks for the advice everyone.. I have to try and decide on this asap.


    R.
    Just go the the LBS and get the "best" bulk housing (XTR, Dura Ace, whatever) they have. Many of the packaged sets do not have enough to run full length to the rear. The full length housing requires much less attention.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,120
    Rainman, I'm a huge fan of the Jagwire cable and housing, which is exactly what QBP and Specialized sell in those 30' boxes, and what has been rebranded under many other companies' logos.

    Their cable is nice because it is extruded with a "flat" exterior, resulting in a nearly round cross-section, versus the "daisy" cross-section of typical cable. In my opinion, this makes for a smoother cable action.

    As others have said, full-length housing is the way to go, regardless of what you choose.

    The nice thing about the generic QBP/Jagwire housing (it's been Jagwire all along, but QBP recently agreed to allow Jagwire to keep their name on it to build the brand) is that it costs about 25¢ per foot. That makes for a durable, damn inexpensive housing run that you'll have no regrets trash-canning once it becomes worn or is damaged by your agro friend. It's cake to work with, and the most import setup step is housing end prep. If you've got that dialed, I don't think you'll be unhappy.

    Take a gander:

    https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/mkiii-cable-housing-prep-revisited-130064.html

    <img src="https://booboodog.net/images/housing5.jpg">
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

  12. #12
    Reviewer/Tester
    Reputation: Rainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,176
    Thanks Nate, thanks shiggy and everyone else who also supplied info / help.

    I'll go get some cable and do it today.


    R.
    It is inevitable ...

  13. #13
    club très grand de VTT
    Reputation: pongee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    287

    What Shiggy and the others said...

    On full length housing - when I did this it really made a big difference. I used Avid flak jackets for my 'ratbike' NRS (I do not understand the meaning of the words c-l-e-a-n--y-o-u-r--b-i-k-e ), and it had just enough to go full housing. I'm sure any good quality housing and cable will do the job.

    Make sure you have a good pair of cable cutters to ensure that the cuts are '90 degrees' and perfect/clean with no fraying or sharp edges that might snag the cable, as this is absolutely critical to smooth brake function. If you have a dremel with cutting wheel all the better, and mandatory if you are dealing with Jagwire Ripcord.

    Above all, take your time and don't rush the install. Good hunting...

    Cheers,

    P.
    "There are no hills on this trail. It's all flat." - Scott TDF Roberts

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: velo bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Bad idea. If it is Shimano SIS housing it WILL split and blowout - while you are braking - leaving you with no brakes.

    Some other brands add a spiral wrap over the parallel strands to prevent this.
    Been running qbp 5mm der. hous. for almost 2 yrs., never a problem!

  15. #15
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,120
    Velo, I'm not going to tell you you can't do this -- obviously you've had some success and aren't likely going to change you mind.

    But, the responsible thing to do for everybody else reading this post is that using SIS derailleur housing is definitely not advisable for a braking application, unless the housing is wrapped in a compression sleeve of some sort and is recommended by the manufacturer for braking use.

    I have seen derailleur housing split, and it happens quickly, with no warning, and renders the cable completely useless. Granted, it may never happen, or it may only happen under a heavy load, but under a heavy load is most probably the worst time to completely lose a brake.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

  16. #16
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Some background info...

    The guy i'm setting this up for rides a "ratbike" ... I call it a 'ratbike' because it is hardly ever cleaned, and whenever I get it in the shop to service it for him, I have to practically strip it down to the bare frame to clean it all up.

    He is a very good rider though, and can leave me for dead on the trails...he just doesn't care about maintenance...

    His GF purchased the brakes for him for Christmas...minus the cables.


    Now...I have his bike here ready to fit the new brakes...it's all cleaned and serviced..

    The thing is...he rides it like he stole it, 10/10 all the time. He is fast and fearless, but he does crash a fair bit because he tries "impossible" things. Sometimes he actually makes it..


    Ok, now back to the brake cables....

    I figure that I will be doing the servicing on these, so I need to set them up so that they are pretty much "indestructible" because of the way he rides, and easy to tweak so that I don't have to spend hours fixing them up every time he brings the bike back for a tune-up.

    That is the main reason why I said 'no' to the Full Metal Jacket setup...he would just bend that stuff all out of shape.

    I've done some research on the 'best' cable setups on mtbr for BB7's and the results were inconclusive at best.

    It seems the Jagwire stuff is favoured so far...yes?

    Thanks for the advice everyone.. I have to try and decide on this asap.


    R.
    I've spent a fair amount of time over the bars as have a few guys I ride with and have yet to see a tweaked FMJ. Mine are on their second frame and I know of two others on their 3rd.

    I just installed the jagwires on a buddy's rig...seem nice and have a good feel.

    RJ
    unityhandbuilt

  17. #17
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    I've spent a fair amount of time over the bars as have a few guys I ride with and have yet to see a tweaked FMJ...
    Easy to do on the fork. I bent several tubes over a year or so.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: velo bum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Velo, I'm not going to tell you you can't do this -- obviously you've had some success and aren't likely going to change you mind.

    But, the responsible thing to do for everybody else reading this post is that using SIS derailleur housing is definitely not advisable for a braking application, unless the housing is wrapped in a compression sleeve of some sort and is recommended by the manufacturer for braking use.

    I have seen derailleur housing split, and it happens quickly, with no warning, and renders the cable completely useless. Granted, it may never happen, or it may only happen under a heavy load, but under a heavy load is most probably the worst time to completely lose a brake.
    No worries! I know what ur say'n. We could go on & on about what could fail & how bad it would be if & when it does. I run tire wheel combos that the manufactuerer does not recommend & its the best set up I've ever had. So, both have been the best for me!
    [PHP]"what is the best cable to run on an Avid BB7 mechanical brake system?"

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.