04 juicy brakes... brake gurus help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

04 juicy brakes... brake gurus help!

so I got a set of '04 Avid juicy brakes (from my weyless xp...yeah it's gettin old). anywho... pistons stuck, brake fluid leak, turkey warble sound, etc..

i bought the caliper rebuild kit ( '06- on up)... that didn't help. ended up busting some pistons and breaking seals....they're just slightly different in size enough to make things difficult.

just got off the phone with SRAM and they confirmed that the piston seals and pistons themselves are different from my '04 brakes.

so what now? hunt down square cut seals? or invest in new brakes? I don't really want to spend much more money. already bought the g2 dics, new brake pads, and spent on two sets of caliper rebuilds parts (what a waste for just four seals).

Any advice on gettin the most bang for the buck with what I have still?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There aren't really any parts for the 04's anymore. They use a different lever setup (bore size) and different piston o rings. Parts haven't been around for a few year. Best bet is to get new brakes.

Rabid Lana fan
    My buddy just got these form pricepoint.. They work great, and it's a killer deal. 50 bux for the whole deal, rotor, everything.

Too bad they only have fronts left in stock.

He got front and rear for 100 bux + shipping

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/179...Brake-Grey.htm
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Meh.
    Hmm.. Surprised SRAM didn't just say they'd send you new brakes. That's what they did for me when my 04 pistons went bad... but that was back in 05/06.

Members who have read this thread: 0