2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build- Mtbr.com
    Always pushing harder!!!

2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build

Well, after six years with virtually the same bike (BMC Fourstroke FS 01, albeit different frames and components every two years), I've built a new bike from just a frame!!! Here id the list of details and weights:

BMC Fourstroke FS 01 RAD Size Large: 2780g (includes all hardware, droper lever, lockout lever, rear axel, etc.)
    Fox Float 32 SC 100mm: 1400g (with Kabolt and uncut steerer
    No Tubes Stan's Crest CB7: 1480g (with rim tape and valves)
    Vittoria Mezcal XC Race Graphene 2.0 29x2.25: 696g, 702g
    Magura MT8 Race SL: 225g, 224g (uncut lines)
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow: 130g
    Enve M5 Bar: 192g (760mm)
    BMC stock stem
    Magura Storm SL rotors 160mm: 99g, 100g
    SRAM XG-1295 cassette: 355G
    SRAM X01 Shifter: 121g (with cable)
    SRAM X01 Rear Derailleur: 278g
    SRAM GXP BB: 90g
    SRAM X01 GXP Crankset with 32t ring: 502g (replaced ring with a 36t X-Sync 2 SL)
    Stages PM: +52g (compared to regular X01 crank arm)
    Eggbeater 11 pedals: 174g
    Elite Canibal bottle cage: 35g
    ESI Chunky Grips: 60g
    SRAM X01 12 speed chain: 242g

After adding up housing, lines, etc., it adds up to 23lbs 5 oz. or 10.56kg.

Here is a pic from last night after finishing the project.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Looks good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice work Carlos, that is a sweet rig. Looking at building one up very similar, but starting from the Three model, stripping it down to mostly the frame and suspension, and upgrading from there.

I'd love to see some additional pictures of the front end and how you did the cable management. Lots of cables to route on this bike, and making it look good can be tough. Looks like you have wrapped them, which is a good call.

Thanks man,
    Josh

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm0976 View Post
    Nice work Carlos, that is a sweet rig. Looking at building one up very similar, but starting from the Three model, stripping it down to mostly the frame and suspension, and upgrading from there.

I'd love to see some additional pictures of the front end and how you did the cable management. Lots of cables to route on this bike, and making it look good can be tough. Looks like you have wrapped them, which is a good call.

Thanks man,
    Josh
    Iíll post some more pictures. Iíve still got some cable cutting to do though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Did the frameset come with the three position remote? If so, where you able to get a Fox StepCast with the three position remote top cap? I only see the two position ones listed for the latest model SC forks. I may end building another FS01 from a frameset and looking at fork options.
    Thanks

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Did the frameset come with the three position remote? If so, where you able to get a Fox StepCast with the three position remote top cap? I only see the two position ones listed for the latest model SC forks. I may end building another FS01 from a frameset and looking at fork options.
    Thanks
    The frame comes with a 3 position rear shock and lock out lever. I did get a Fox Float 32 SC 2 Position Remote but had the shop retrofit the fork to 3 position remote with the 820-05-514-KIT from Fox. Parts and labor added like $140 extra to the fork, which I got at a good discount.

Always pushing harder!!!

Thanks man,
    Josh
    Pic of final cable management...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the cable management picture. You did well wrestling all those birds nest of cables into a tidy package.

Have you got any rides on the bike yet? If so, can you give us your takeaways?

What are the Enve M5 bars like? I'm considering upgrading to those, but haven't heard if they are better (lighter, more damping) than the carbon BMC bars that come stock.

Thanks for the feedback.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Thanks for the cable management picture. You did well wrestling all those birds nest of cables into a tidy package.

Have you got any rides on the bike yet? If so, can you give us your takeaways?

What are the Enve M5 bars like? I'm considering upgrading to those, but haven't heard if they are better (lighter, more damping) than the carbon BMC bars that come stock.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Well, for starters, the bike is a lot stiffer than the previous generation. Also, I like how the seat tube angle puts me in a better position for climbing. Itís true what they say about long reach and slacker head tube angle; point and shoot with ease on downhills.

As for the bars, I only had BMC bars between 2013-2015 and then switched to Enve bars. The reason I did was for width, itís the only XC flat bars I could find that were at least 760mm wide. I donít care much about weight or damping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey guys, for those who are interested, I'm picking up my 2020 FS 01 Three model this week and will be doing a strip down of almost every component and build up with new spec in the coming weeks. I'll post weights and my feedback of how things come together as I build it up. Looking forward to it. I'll keep this thread going with the details. Thanks!

Always pushing harder!!!
    Pictures and build info please...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Look forward to seeing the progress and build

FIRENZE rulez !!
    This is my close-to-goal build

Missing change of seat post hardware (one of the yokes came without internal threads)

However less than 10 kg

Hopp Carbon

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Picked things up from the shop last night.

This progress will probably be slow, so don't expect the build to be done in the next few days, so please be patient with me.

Picked the bike box up from my local shop last night, by the looks of the box, it seems like FedEx just drug it behind their truck from Chicago, IL distribution center to my Columbus, OH shop.
    I fully expected things to be broken into a million pieces when I got home, but luckily BMC packs their bikes up very well, and so far from my initial inspections it seems to be OK.
    All I got done last night was pulling all the foam off the bike and placing it my stand, as well as checking out the box of stuff that comes with it.

A couple quick impressions:
    1) the oval seat post is more tricky to clamp to than a round post, at least for my stand.
    2) the down tube and BB area of the frame are absolutely massive. It honestly looks more like an e-bike than a XC bike.
    3) BMC includes a cheap little handlebar bell (maybe a Euro requirement?), but they don't install the plastic dork disc in the rear wheel (thank you!).
    That's about as far as I got, I hope to make more progress of stripping things off the bike this weekend.
    ps, frame is made in Taiwan in case you wondered.

2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-img_4728.jpg
    2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-img_4729.jpg
    2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-img_4730.jpg
    2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-img_4734.jpg2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-img_4733.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I believe the bell, reflectors, lights are a Swiss requirement. BMC does a great job of setting up and packing bikes. Probably the best I've seen in 30 yrs of building bikes.

In case you missed it in an earlier post, a little bit of lateral play is built into the lower shock mount by design. Seems odd, but have to trust the engineers.

If you want a full lock out with the remote on the fork you have to either tighten the cable enough to clock the dial or get a Scott Twinloc. I've been using the Twinloc and like the adjustment better than the stock DT. The DT lockout does not have enough cable pull. It will lock out the rear fully and leave the front almost locked. By clocking the dial you lose a little of the firm/soft settings which I believe these adjustments are just for when the fork is fully open.

I can't tell from the pictures but it looks like you have the new rubber chainstay protector. When the chain hits the plastic protector on the 2019 model it would echo loudly throughout the frame. If anyone has noticed this you can wrap the rubber electrical tape that sticks to itself around the chainstay to deaden the sound.

Enjoy the build and the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    No pictures to share from this weekend's tear down and build activity, but I'll share some weight detail for those interested.
    First, my FS01 Three is an XL (I'm 6' 2.5", ~35" inseam).
    Stock bike as sold by BMC, not so svelte, which matches my feeling picking it up...
    Total Stock Bike with everything except pedals = 27.4 lb, 12.43 kg

Now for a break down of the stock parts I've taken off so far, still a few more to go, I'll post those as soon as they come off (fork, stem and bar).

Front (Fr) wheel w/tire, tube, 180mm rotor = 2045g
    Rear (Rr) wheel w/tire, tube, 160mm rotor, cassette = 2808g

inner tube = 185g x 2
    Vitorria Barzo tire = 685g (Fr), 660g (Rr) -- not sure why these are different, I measured them multiple times to confirm.
    Shimano SM-RT54-M 180mm rotor = 164g
    Shimano SM-RT54-M 160mm rotor = 140g
    SRAM PG1230 11-50 cassette = 614g

Alex MD25 w/Deore hub Fr wheel stripped down completely = 1013g
    Alex MD25 w/Deore hub Rr wheel stripped down completely = 1210g

SRAM SX Eagle chain = 253g
    SRAM NX Eagle Rr Der = 345g
    SRAM X1 Eagle Crank w/34t ring = 452g
    SRAM X1 Eagle non-drive crank arm 175mm = 355g
    SRAM NX Eagle shifter w/cable, no housing = 120g

Fizik Antares R7 saddle = 231 g
    Fox Kabolt Fr thru axle = 36g
    BMC lock-on grips = 48g x 2
    Shimano MT500 Fr brake lever, hose, caliper, pads = 280g
    Shimano MT500 Rr brake lever, hose, caliper, pads = 307g

I've installed a few of my new lighter parts, but I'll save those weights for a future post.
    Thanks for following along. Its coming together well.

Always pushing harder!!!
    The pleasures of building a new bike...enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    One of you who has an FS01, could you see if there is slight play in your seatpost that you can feel/see at the clamping bolt? When the suspension is locked out can you press and pull on the seat and see/hear/feel the clamp bolt moving? I know dropper posts should and always will have some play in them but wondering about the clamping bolt and collar moving enough to make a slight noise when it hits the frame. Might not even notice it while riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sorry for the long delay in posting about my build, I was making custom cut XPEL protection tape (same material that Invisaframe uses) templates, and installing that on the frame and fork. It took much longer than I expected, but overall I'm happy with the results doing it my first time. I covered about ~90% of the surface area of the frame and fork, so that should hopefully save me from some rock chips.

Here are some more of the stock weights of the parts:
    Fox SC32 stock uncut =1474g
    Fox SC 32 cut with star nut= 1465g
    BMC 9mm headset spacers = 13g x 3, I'm only using 1 now
    BMC headset dust cover = 14g
    SRAM PF92 DUB BB = 69g

Now on to the parts I've used by my build:
    1 Specialized Rib cage = 34g
    Specialized Power saddle = 223g
    Shimano XT pedals = 342g
    Wahoo Cadence sensor = 13g
    Wolftooth Matchmaker adapter = 11g
    SRAM X01 eagle shifter + cable = 122g
    SRAM X01 eagle chain, 126 links (uncut) = 262g
    SRAM BB92 to GXP BB = 92g
    SRAM X01 eagle left crank arm = 160g
    SRAM X01 eagle right crank + 32t ring = 348g
    SRAM X01 eagle rear der = 280g
    SRAM 1295 cassette = 352g
    Galfer Wave rotor 160mm = 98g x 2
    Galfer standard pads = 20g x 2
    Shimano XTR front brakes (with stock pads and uncut hose) = 256g
    Shimano XTR rear brakes (with stock pads and uncut hose) = 273g
    Mcfk carbon flat bar 760mm = 124g
    OD1 F1 Vapor grips = 32g x 2
    Garmin stem mount = 12g
    DT Swiss 240 hubs (with 54t ratchet) + carbon rims (25mm internal) = 1260g
    Orange Seal sealant = ~100ml in each wheel

I didn't weigh all the pieces of XPEL I put on there, but I can't imagine its too much since the film is pretty thin.

Overall the bike came in at 23.3 lbs. Since it started off at 27.4 lbs, for an XL xc bike with a dropper, I'm pretty happy with those numbers.

I'll post a few pictures shortly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-bmc-1.jpg2020 Fourstroke FS 01 Build-bmc-2.jpg

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    One of you who has an FS01, could you see if there is slight play in your seatpost that you can feel/see at the clamping bolt? When the suspension is locked out can you press and pull on the seat and see/hear/feel the clamp bolt moving? I know dropper posts should and always will have some play in them but wondering about the clamping bolt and collar moving enough to make a slight noise when it hits the frame. Might not even notice it while riding.
    I have some slight play, but not the the extent of felling it all they way down to the bolt...

Always pushing harder!!!
    That's a beauty!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Iíve almost pulled the trigger on one of these... What size rear tire will it fit?

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    Iíve almost pulled the trigger on one of these... What size rear tire will it fit?
    It can fit a 2.35

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    It can fit a 2.35
    Great Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I've tried both Vittoria Barzo 2.25, Vittoria Mezcal 2.35, and Specialized Fast Trak 2.3 and all seem to work fine with my 25mm internal rim width. I'm not sure how wide then new Maxxis Aspen 2.4 measure, I guess it depends on how wide your rim is.
    Last edited by jlm0976; 05-05-2020 at 12:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great. Thanks, I just ordered mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Finally arrived! Swapped out a few parts and set it up tubeless. Itís sitting at 24.2lbs without pedals. Canít wait to get it out soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looks great, if you have a moment, please share what upgrades and changes you have made from stock! Enjoy the first ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks great, if you have a moment, please share what upgrades and changes you have made from stock! Enjoy the first ride!
    Im sure some will tell me I downgraded the drivetrain but I went from Full gx eagle to xx1 11 speed cassette, box 1 shifter and derailleur. Iíve bent too many gx derailleurs. eewings crankset with 32t ring. Was hoping to use the 34t that came on the bike but it ended up being a steel ring. Brakes are SLX 180 front 160 rear, Bars and stem are stock but Iím not caring for the bars at all so Iím those will go as soon as I find something else. Stock Barzo tires. Stock m1700 wheels. Stock stepcast 32.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi everybody, I will receive a new 2020 Fourstroke 01 Three in a few days - and I need to swap the whole brake configuration from Shimano MT500 to Shimano XT.

The one thing I am most concerned about is replacing the brake hose for the rear brake, which runs inside the frame, all the way.

Is there anything that I can do to make this as straight-forward as possible? I have never done a hose replacement before...

I understand that there is full guidance inside the frame, but the uncertainty, the uncertainty ...?

Theoretically, I would losen all lock down plastic things, connect the existing hose and the new hose (with a nail?) at the the rear end, lightly wrap with electrical tape, then simply push the new hose from the end?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sorry for the slow reply daffy99. Not sure if you have done your brake swap, but when I did it on mine, it was super easy. Pretty sure I started at the back and worked the hoses/cables forward. Internal cables guides really helped get the hoses where they needed to go. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Sorry for the slow reply daffy99. Not sure if you have done your brake swap, but when I did it on mine, it was super easy. Pretty sure I started at the back and worked the hoses/cables forward. Internal cables guides really helped get the hoses where they needed to go. Good luck.
    @jlm0976, many thanks for responding! The Fourstroke arrived only yesterday, so no upgrading has taken place so far.

The presence of the guides and your statement are very reassuring, so I do hope that my first in-frame brake hose installation ever will not be a total mess.

FWIW, I got a Fourstroke 01 Three (2020), with Shimano MT500, as an extremely good deal. I want to upgrade those brakes to XT-level MT8100 to be able to run metal pads with XTR rotors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    As you can see from my posts above, I did something similar. Started out with the 2020 three version, stripped everything off, and put on XTR brakes and with Galfer rotors/pads. I'm sure the M500 would be fine, but hard to beat the weight & feel of XTR in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    For the record - replacing the complete rear brake installation (and the shifter) went smoothly. Pushing the hose through from the back was almost as painless as pushing the shifter cable through the preinstalled sleeve from the front.

The only scare was the final push of the hose through the entry/exit hole next to the head tube. A needle for final guidance and orientation fixed that.

Now on to replacing the front brake, and bleeding everything.