2019 BMC Fourstroke 01 Or 2019 Specialized Epic FS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

2019 BMC Fourstroke 01 Or 2019 Specialized Epic FS

My current bike is a 2017 BMC Fourstroke 01 the frame cracked on it so now i'm searching for a new bike, I have a couple of options. Bmc Fourstroke 01 Frame set, BMC Fourstroke 01 Three, Specialized Epic Pro, And a SWorks Epic Frame set. What would be the best bike for a XC racing and marathon racing.

mtbr member
    Have you ridden the epic fs? It is a very different suspension concept... kind of a "love it or hate it" thing. I am not a fan of it personally. For XC, I'd take the fourstroke or agonist over it any day.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The new Fourstroke looks sweet but I haven't ridden it though I do own the specialized epic pro. Initial reviews say the Fourstroke rear suspension is very stiff, but it handles downhill very well for an xc bike. I initially didn't think I liked my Epic FS. I then demoed a Santa Cruz Blur looking for my next bike and realized how good the Specialized actually is. It pedals really well and you don't have to lock out your suspension to get that benefit. Hammering up rough inclines it is at its best, soaking up bumps but firm to the pedals. I really wanted to hate the proprietary Brain shock/fork too but now it is hard to go back to anything else. I do wish it had some more modern geo numbers like the Fourstroke.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Have you ridden the epic fs? It is a very different suspension concept... kind of a "love it or hate it" thing. I am not a fan of it personally. For XC, I'd take the fourstroke or agonist over it any day.
    I have not ridden a Epic Fs but i'm now leaning towards a BMC but BMC Only has 1 medium frame left and it's Fourstroke 01 Two. I'm going to test a epic this weekend and a Scott Spark Rc World cup.
    Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kriedel View Post
    The new Fourstroke looks sweet but I haven't ridden it though I do own the specialized epic pro. Initial reviews say the Fourstroke rear suspension is very stiff, but it handles downhill very well for an xc bike. I initially didn't think I liked my Epic FS. I then demoed a Santa Cruz Blur looking for my next bike and realized how good the Specialized actually is. It pedals really well and you don't have to lock out your suspension to get that benefit. Hammering up rough inclines it is at its best, soaking up bumps but firm to the pedals. I really wanted to hate the proprietary Brain shock/fork too but now it is hard to go back to anything else. I do wish it had some more modern geo numbers like the Fourstroke.
    Have you had any problems with the brain, I've read on this forum a couple of people have had problems with it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hroot View Post
    I have not ridden a Epic Fs but i'm now leaning towards a BMC but BMC Only has 1 medium frame left and it's Fourstroke 01 Two. I'm going to test a epic this weekend and a Scott Spark Rc World cup.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Definetely the check out the epic. They also just released the epic evo. Is the bmc agonist an option?
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have had a 2014 Epic for the last 4 years.
    It rides fantastic, but I was never a fan of the Brain concept either. It rides great with the shock in "Open mode", but when you dial in in to a more firm setting it result on a strange "knocking sensation".
    According to Specialized that is by design, but I never really got used to it.

Reliability has also been an issue - Had my rear shock/brain assembly replaced every season - (4-5 times!).

This was under warranty the first 4 years, but now Specialized refuse to pay for it any more. It cost 250 Euro - not much more than a normal damper-service, but still annoying..

I received brand new 2018 XX1 FS 01 - haven't ridden it yet, but will post a comparison within a few weeks, if that would help