SPOT vs InReach?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

SPOT vs InReach?

Anyone have an opinion about SPOT vs InReach, for a locator system? SPOT is cheaper, but InReach lets you text back and forth, which seems useful in case of emergency.

@adelorenzo
    I think you pretty much summed it up.

IMHO the InReach is way too expensive. For the price of the unit and an annual plan you could get a sat phone (with GPS and texting) with a pile of prepaid minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Are you sure about the sat phone prices? I was reading that Iridium is more than twice as much as InReach.

mtbr member
    There is a review at this link and some good discussion about the InReach. It was a factor when I bought my InReach which I like.

http://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-b...ew-880260.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not sure if any ultra racing is in your future, but I think SPOT is the only tracker that works with trackleaders.com
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ultra racing? Do they have a category for people who are really really slow? Didn't think so. I admire the ultra racers, but I can't be one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks, Welnic. That's just what I wanted to know. Looks like InReach will fit my needs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bought an InReach to do some solo touring on the Trans Canada Trail this summer. They work really well, and I never really had any problems with dropped reception, even in some thick forest in central BC, and I always carried the thing in the bottom of my handlebar bag. However, the text function isn't like on a cell phone. It takes 5 - 10 minutes for each text to reach the destination number. So it's not really like one can text back and forth and have a conversation in real time.

Having said this, I also brought the device on a 4-day trip I did through the Canadian Rockies with a good friend of mine. He is a backpacker and long-time SPOT user. He borrowed my InReach device for a week-long backpacking trip, and he liked it so much he is now ditching the SPOT in favour of the InReach device. So there's one informed vote in favour of the InReach.