Soma saga vs. cross check geometry. How differently will they feel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Soma saga vs. cross check geometry. How differently will they feel?

I have looked at the geometry chart between the two and they both have very similar seat tube angles. I have had a cross check before. How will the fit of the soma compare?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    So are you just concerned about the bike fit? Or how it will handle and feel while riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    More about the fit. Will it feel odd if I try to do the equivelant of a slammed aggressive cross check build?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You are comparing apples with oranges, the Saga is specifically designed for loaded touring with front and rear racks and panniers whereas the cross check is loosely a CX bike. Soma's equivalent to the cross check is the double cross (or triple cross) and the Surly equivalent of the Saga is the LHT.

The riding position, geometry and handling are pretty different Full on tourers generally have a more upright for comfort position with the saddle lower than the bars and long head tube, they can feel very sluggish and tank like without loads, due to longer chainstays and additional thickness in the tubing to stiffen the whole thing up etc which makes them very stable hauling touring loads. whereas CX style bikes are more along the lines of a road bike, more aggressive riding position, pretty nimble and lighter. The flip side being loss of stability with loads above minimalist bike packing load type of thing.

I have a Soma double cross, I have run it as gravel grinder but it is just configured as a roadie these days, the frame flex and front wheel shimmy is pretty alarming on road descents with any more than about 20lb on it. But its fine for commuting, hauling groceries and weeknight road rides with a local club.

EDIT Touring specific steel frames are not ideal for "slammed aggressive" builds in my opinion

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I have figured that since the seat tube angles were similar they would ride the same. You speak of generally, which I already know.

Wish I could get a full tange ht cross check.

And where did you have that 20lbs on it? I have had much more on a cross check before without that issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A Soma double cross is effectively a Tange Prestige and Tange Infinity tubed Cross check, non disc frameset / fork is about 20% lighter than a cross check though if I remember correctly, as such the frame is not as stiff. Using tubus racks and ortilieb front and back roller classics (70 - 30 rear front split), the frame was much more flexi than a cross check loaded. It's a better bike for other things though.

There is much more to how a bike handles than just seat tube angles

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I am not talking about handling. I am talking about cockpit fit and feel. Drop handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    And the rear triangle on the double cross is generic cromo.

mtbr member
    The fit and feel will be determined my much more than just the seat tube angle. ALL of the geometry numbers will have an effect. The kind of steel used will have a much smaller influence on the fit/feel/handling than the geometry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Again, I am not talking about handling. I am asking about body positioning.