• 04-30-2015
    devans
    Shoulder harness/Backpack to carry Mountain bike
    Hi

I've been looking into products that would enable me to strap my bike to my back so that i can access areas i can't push my bike up.

I'm finding it seriously hard using Google, as most people seem to be bodging it with a regular backpack.

Anyone got any advice etc?

Thanks

Dan
  • 04-30-2015
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by devans View Post
    Hi

I've been looking into products that would enable me to strap my bike to my back so that i can access areas i can't push my bike up.

I'm finding it seriously hard using Google, as most people seem to be bodging it with a regular backpack.

Thanks

Dan

I haven't seen a bike carrying backpack which is why most people just hack a regular backpack.

You can get a framed harness [sans pack] to strap your bike to, but I don't think you'd love riding with it when not carrying the bike. Google search will show you plenty of options.
  • 04-30-2015
    vikb
    Casey hauls his bike on his back a bunch in challenging terrain:

Casey Greene

Check out what he uses and ask him some questions.
  • 04-30-2015
    schillingsworth
    I was planning on the AZTR750 this year, but a late wrist injury took me out until next year. In preparation for the event, I put some pics on my blog on my Grand Canyon portage system. It's fairly standard as bikes attached to packs go, but everyone is different. I tried a couple variations, first I removed both wheels. Then I tried it with the rear wheel attached and liked it better. Some guys take off the handlebars too if they are hitting their calves, mine didn't.

My Two Schillingsworth: AZTR750 Prep
  • 04-30-2015
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I was planning on the AZTR750 this year, but a late wrist injury took me out until next year. In preparation for the event, I put some pics on my blog on my Grand Canyon portage system. It's fairly standard as bikes attached to packs go, but everyone is different. I tried a couple variations, first I removed both wheels. Then I tried it with the rear wheel attached and liked it better. Some guys take off the handlebars too if they are hitting their calves, mine didn't.

My Two Schillingsworth: AZTR750 Prep

Bummer about the hand and the bike. :(

On the other hand glad neither were more serious. :thumbsup:
  • 04-30-2015
    flumphboy
    Most of the time, I like to use a fairly burly backpack. One built for alpine climbing or backcountry skiing. I like ice axe loops to hold the top tube and down tube - you can see this in a number of pictures on my blog that Vik linked to above.

One option i have always thought about is to use a NRS Paragon Pack, or something similar: NRS Paragon Pack at nrs.com

Theoretically, this would enable the awkward bike weight closer, and more solidly on, your back. I know there are a number of packrafters - including Roman Dial -who have favored this design over the years. I don't know of any packbikers try it... I may just have to put in an order.
  • 05-01-2015
    flumphboy
    I've also tried a tumpline in the past, but that didn't goes so well. I think alot of that was my fault for trying it with the wrong bag. I also think one has to put in quite a bit of time getting the body accustom to it. It does have potential with the right system set up.

Patagonia Tumpline
  • 05-01-2015
    Ntmboy
    I don't like bikepacking with a backpack, so for the AZTR 750 Grand Canyon crossing I used a Mountain Smith shoulder strap with a diy hip belt. Cheap, light, and worked great for a 24 mile hike. Might want something a little more plush for an extended carry. Photo. Photo.
  • 05-02-2015
    TheirOnlyPortrait
    Quote:

Originally Posted by devans View Post
    Hi

Thanks

Dan

Hola Dan,

I just run into a very cool idea at Erik Nohlin's Instagram. Check his profile:

https://instagram.com/p/2K1olfS_bu/?taken-by=hellhommus

Saludos,
    Federico
  • 05-05-2015
    vikb
    Thanks for the ideas. There are some creative ways to carry bikes on your back.

I haven't need to do so yet, but it's good to see what other folks are thinking/using. :thumbsup: