Old Man Mountain...three months and nothing- Mtbr.com
    Death Mud
    Feb 2011

Old Man Mountain...three months and nothing

Iíve been waiting for three months for OMM to ship an order Iíve paid for. Iíve asked three times for an update via email, once via voice mail. No response of any kind, no shipment, nothing. Iíve gone from curious to concerned to pissed. Anyone have any experience like this with OMM?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have not bought from OMM in 2-3 years, but I did have a similar experience where a rack I paid for was delayed in shipment by 2-3 months.

It did eventually ship, but communication was spotty.

With that being said, I still have two OMM racks that are 5-6 years old, and they have been thrashed/crashed beyond all reasonable use, and are absolutely solid, other than the paint being scratched off.

I would keep trying to call him at different times throughout the day or week; maybe you'll get lucky and reach him. He makes good stuff.
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Delays I can deal with, but donít say youíll ship something in a few days (which was the only communication Iíve gotten since September), then go radio silent. I like to support independent guys, but this is, frankly, bullshit. If any kind of communication indicated that ďHey, this is going to take a couple of months, possibly,Ē then fine, no problem, expectation set. If it ever arrives I hope it lasts as long as you say, but I doubt Iíll order another for any reason.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    I have not bought from OMM in 2-3 years, but I did have a similar experience where a rack I paid for was delayed in shipment by 2-3 months.

It did eventually ship, but communication was spotty.
    Right now I've been waiting on a simple rack light bracket I ordered 1 month ago. Email inquiry as to the order status goes unanswered. But this complete lack of communication seems par for the course with this business, at least it does for me. But it seems I'm not the only one, either.

2 summers ago, I placed a snail mail order for a front fat sherpa rack and after a very long wait, the rack arrives with parts for a non-Bluto front fork. This does no good for me. I found you have to call early west coast time in hopes of reaching the guy. I did get the parts. That experience soured me, but I was in need of a matching rear rack and as much as I did not want to go back with OMM, what do ya do? Well, after about 2 emails inquiring of the proper rack I needed and no bloody answer on his end, I just ordered a used one off Ebay and got it like 3 days after my order. Inquired to Robert Axle Project what rear axle I needed and that very day, got my answer. Now that is service! Ordered that off Ebay as well and the part comes in that week. And lucky for me, the lower stanchions he sent me on my first order in error for the front rack can conveniently be retrofitted with a little drill press work.

Never again. Be forewarned, those wishing to go in the OMM direction. With a little creativity, aluminum bar stock and a Robert Axle Project thru axle, you can create your own front and rear rack using the rack of your choice. In my own personal experience; with the near total lack of communication and failure to deliver a product to a paying customer in a timely fashion, I cannot recommend anyone going in the OMM direction until this guy can prove long term he can deliver his stuff on time, as promised.

I'd like to know what happened, as past reviews of his racks on this site and others mention immediate, personal, expert advice and assistance which made me decide to try his rack. And the use of the Robert Axle as the lower rack mount point is about the only player in town for a thru-axle equipped, non-threaded frame insert design mtb.....

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    MikeTT,
    Thanks for that info, as frustrating as that experience sounds. I still havenít gotten what I ordered, or a reply to any of my written or voice messages. Iíve tried a few times even since I last posted, and gotten nothing at all back. At this point itís been over five months. Iím very frustrated, and even if I ever get what Iíve paid for, Iíll never buy from them again or recommend them. The fact that OMM racks are much more expensive than anything else only adds insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by velcipede View Post
    MikeTT,
    Thanks for that info, as frustrating as that experience sounds. I still havenít gotten what I ordered, or a reply to any of my written or voice messages. Iíve tried a few times even since I last posted, and gotten nothing at all back. At this point itís been over five months. Iím very frustrated, and even if I ever get what Iíve paid for, Iíll never buy from them again or recommend them. The fact that OMM racks are much more expensive than anything else only adds insult to injury.
    5 months......buyer beware reading this thread. Sorry to hear this, Velcipede. It helps make my complaint lodged to Paypal yesterday as the right thing to do against this business. Looking at my pending light rack invoice; $5.50 for flat rate shipping and 5 bucks for.......handling. LOL. The thing is all of a half and ounce if that. Surprised I wasn't charged for undercoating and Tru-Coat while he was at it, LOL.

I've sung the praises of my front fat sherpa on this site, over on the fatbiking and health thread as well as numerous times over on electric bike review. Doing so, I may have done a disservice to other unsuspecting folks and for that I apologize! Not anymore. Hope you get your rack soon and/or would recommend checking with your credit card company and or paypal.

Please keep us informed as new info comes out, V. I will do the same as well. Your thread is an important one as it's important to shed light on those who are not delivering service as promised.

Old Man Mountain...three months and nothing-100_2565.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Just adding to this my own experience...ordered a mount adapter kit for an OMM sherpa rack I've had for several years to fit it to a new Surly Pugsley. 2 months with no order received, no response to emails, no response to PayPal dispute messages. Will get my money back eventually due to PayPal protection but it takes a while, and have scratched OMM off my list as a brand to buy or recommend to others LOVE my old OMM rack and fitted it to an old 26" trek to keep it in use, but not sure what happened with ownership etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Death Mud
    Feb 2011

Old Man Mountain...three months and nothing

Quote Originally Posted by bianpson View Post
    Just adding to this my own experience...ordered a mount adapter kit for an OMM sherpa rack I've had for several years to fit it to a new Surly Pugsley. 2 months with no order received, no response to emails, no response to PayPal dispute messages. Will get my money back eventually due to PayPal protection but it takes a while, and have scratched OMM off my list as a brand to buy or recommend to others LOVE my old OMM rack and fitted it to an old 26" trek to keep it in use, but not sure what happened with ownership etc.

Ugh, I hate to hear that. I still havenít gotten a reply or a delivery, either. I had hoped this thread might at least elicit a response from the owner, but not even thatís had an effect. Too bad for a small company thatís had a good rep for a long time, to come to this.
    Last edited by velcipede; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm bummed to hear this. I have a few OMM racks in the garage and plan to use them for the rest of my riding career. They are a great product. I hope the company manages a turn around.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Up In Smoke
    Does OMM have a store front? Anyone check in with the SoCal page to see if they've talked to the guy in person? Possibly even the NorCal page.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Old Man Mountain Products
    23 S. Fairview, Suite C
    Santa Barbara, CA 93117 US
    Phone: 805 692 9950

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    PayPal just resolved my claim in my favor....no response from OMM regarding the claim. I just hope nothing bad happened to the owner, but who knows....will try to keep the Sherpa in use on my old Trek 950 but really wanted to fit it to my Pugsley...

I just hope nothing bad happened to the owner...
    Yeah, when one-man businesses stop responding, it's often that case that the owner is experiencing some personal issues. OMM has been so reliable for so many years, it's difficult to imagine that he just woke up one morning and decided to crap on his customers. I share your concern.

mtbr member
    ...but really wanted to fit it to my Pugsley...
    Bummer. OMM was a great company with a solid product.

If you want to mount that rack to a Pugsley a machine shop should be able to whip up the adapters you need without much trouble.

I'm moving a Sherpa rack to a new bike and I'm going to DIY mod the adapters to fit.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

dirtbag
    Man, sorry to hear you guys are having problems with OMM. I have two OMM racks on other bikes and they've been rock solid after over 10 years and still going strong.

Being a one man company having to deal with operations, sales, communications is tough. Hope the service comes back.
    Amolan

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Well, I filed a dispute with my credit card company today, since I still haven't gotten so much as a response from OMM. I placed the original order on Sep 10, I think six months is sufficient time. Whatever's going on with these guys I hope they get it sorted out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velcipede View Post
    Well, I filed a dispute with my credit card company today, since I still haven't gotten so much as a response from OMM. I placed the original order on Sep 10, I think six months is sufficient time. Whatever's going on with these guys I hope they get it sorted out.
    When did the charge go through? I had an issue a few years back and VISA told me I missed the 75 day dispute window and I was SOL.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Death Mud
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    When did the charge go through? I had an issue a few years back and VISA told me I missed the 75 day dispute window and I was SOL.
    September 11 on an Amex. Hopefully the dispute goes through. Fingers crossed....

My OMM purchase update....

Thank goodness for PayPal and it's protections built in for the buyer. I was notified by PP this morning that my full purchase amount for a rear rack light mount/bracket was refunded.

So, for a purchase I made on 9 January; with an attempt to contact the OMM owner using his own email address as to the status of the order and no reply.......to lodging my request to Paypal for a full refund, the saga comes to an end, this morning. And no, OMM did not give PayPal any explanation, any communication whatsoever about this purchase.

Go to the OMM website as I did and take note to the main page. I had that in mind last summer when I made several inquiries in purchasing his rear Fat Sherpa rear rack for my Haibike (knowing I would have to spend more in upgrading the cheap plain steel parts and clamps he supplies with his rack mount kits to stainless steel). So I figure, the guy is swamped in work and I'm just waiting my turn in line for a damned response to my questions on which Robert Axle Project length of rear axle to purchase. Absolutely no response up to the day I foolishly thought, well, let's see if he fills in my order for the rear light bracket. And so, here we are this morning.

Past great service and a great rep built upon years of great service don't mean much to say, a person like the OP here, who plopped down a good 200 dollars plus for one of these racks. I've sympathy for anyone who is suffering on hard times due to illness or other internal issues not known to the outsider. But it ends when the owner takes a person's money and then fails to deliver his product, even after promising to fill that order after the OP of this thread here finally gets through to the owner. And just flat out ignores any and all communication to him while his credit card and paypal methods for payment remain open for business. I do wonder how many people have been snagged by this guy. My thoughts and best wishes go to them.

Thanks to this site and the OP for bringing this issue to light with OMM. Really, I thought it was just a miscommunication on my part with the owner, going back to the purchase of my front rack from him. This appears to be standard operating procedure and frankly, alot of explanation on Hammond's end is demanded.

Buyer beware. Stay far away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I was curious, s o I went to The listing on BBB. Not good. One review:

I purchased 3 Sherpa front 29" 15mm Thru-Axel Rockshox with
    clamps back on July 12 2018 Order number #8**2 from
    oldmanmountain.com for $754.38 that includes shipping and
    handling. Every time I check to see if its been sent it says
    pending. It is now August 22 and I have not received my order.
    I've made 6 attempts through email and called multiple times
    and left messages and have yet to hear back form Channing
    Hammond from Old Man Mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I honestly think something happened to Channing, what ever those circumstances may be, and there is no one else involved to pull the plug on the website and shut it down. Probably at some point the site will get taken down once the fees to operate it dont get paid for a while, but if they are set up to auto pay and there is still money sitting in an account to draw from, then the site will stay live and take orders that wont get filled indefinitely....I dont really smell a rat here, I am thinking things went awry for Channing

He has a Facebook page, but I'm not on facebook, so; can't try to communcate there.

He and his family appear to be involved in the sport of Bonneville salt flats timed racing. An article on the family is here: https://issuu.com/santabarbaramag/docs/157_summer_2018 "Shifting Gears" is the article. No mention of any calamity befallen him within the article from last summer. Pretty sure someone in the family was aware of his business and could have stepped in to provide communications/refunds/product if something indeed had happened.

I do know the Felt Outfitter, a fat tired ebike, came with his front and rear racks. Nice looking bikes and the racks looked perfect on that bike. Seriously considered buying that bike as it was pretty much touring ready with those front and rear OMM racks. Instead I went with the Haibike Full FatSix, which was built with absolutely no provisions for mounting up front or rear racks. Enter my dealings with OMM. I've seen the Felt Outfitter ebike is no longer listed in the Felt catalog for 2018/2019. Bike Rumor had a story about Felt owner Jim Felt, who left the company after it was bought out last year; so it's fair to say the Outfitter was a casualty of that change in Felt Bikes ownership. I imagine a lot of business for Hammond got lost along the way with the discontinued Outfitter. Again, just conjecture on my part. And I really don't like conjecture. But I really feel more for people who put down big dollars for one or more of his racks as these things are 2-4 times more expensive than bike racks sold elsewhere and got nothing, zip, nada for their hard earned dollars.

And until things turn around and the owner makes himself available and open as to what happened....or folks get the product they ordered......then this thread is pretty darn important, especially to the unsuspecting people on this site considering an investment in one or two of these racks.....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    And until things turn around and the owner makes himself available and open as to what happened....or folks get the product they ordered......then this thread is pretty darn important, especially to the unsuspecting people on this site considering an investment in one or two of these racks.....
    Agreed. I'm guessing that his merchant account will be suspended soon, based on the number of complaints filed with PayPal and credit card companies. I advise anyone who is still awaiting a rack to call their credit card company ASAP, so that they are aware of the issue and can lock things down accordingly.