Divide without GPS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Divide without GPS?

I'm gearing up to do the Divide route soon and I don't have a GPS unit. I've heard that the ACA maps are very well done and I'm hoping I might be able to get by on those alone. If anyone has a strong opinion either way I'd love to hear it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The maps and book are fine. Try to get any updates and pencil them in. 10 years ago there were no gps units and we all got by just fine. Be self sufficient.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I've done this route and yes you'll be fine without the GPS, but it super easy if all you want to do is just ride, enjoy the scenery and stuff your face with candy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I used a GPS as backup only, which I admit using several times when I was in question. I'm prolly a little lax at minding queues because I carry it.

+1 to adding the addendum info to your maps.

One anomaly (not sure if this correction made it into an addendum yet):

Map 6 (09)
    Queue 30.2 (48.6) Reads “Continue high to the left toward Thorn Ranch (10 miles) rather than dropping right.”
    At that location, there is no signage indicating Thorn Ranch. (Some sign posts appear that they might have at one time.) The green street sign atop the pole at that intersection reads “Access to Gage Rd” and is positioned to indicate the left turn as being the access road to Gage Rd. When you get to Gage Road, the green street sign atop the pole at that intersection reads “Access to Separ Rd” and is positioned to indicate that the road you just traveled to that point is the road back to Separ Road. I don’t recall if there is a street sign indicating Gage Road (I think not), but in any case it would be helpful for the map to indicate Gage Road. Mile 38.6 is where the access road connects to Gage Road.

Queue 38.6 (62.1) Reads “At junction, bear right toward Thorn Ranch (1.5 miles); left goes to Demming (40 miles).”
    No signage indicating Thorn Ranch or the distance to it exists here.

The only signage indicating Thorn Ranch is the hand-scrawled mention that appears on your right as you pass queue 37.5 (60.3). It’s not super obvious. Other than that, it seems like someone wanted Thorn Ranch further off the radar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VO2 Lax View Post
    ...if all you want to do is just ride, enjoy the scenery and stuff your face with candy.
    That's me. Given the cost of a decent GPS I wouldn't do any significant trip without one, but then I enjoy the riding not the the reading maps and trying to figure out if this is "the turn???".
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If I were touring it, I would likely go without a GPS.

Even if you do choose to go with a GPS, I would still recommend taking the map and cues. Gives better perspective on what is coming ahead terrain and supply wise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Pal View Post
    Even if you do choose to go with a GPS, I would still recommend taking the map and cues.
    +1 - I'd take maps for sure even if I was navigating with my GPS.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    did it in 2009 with only ACA maps. Rode South to North reading the cues backwards and did the new then Flathead section in Canada with no maps, just a cue sheet from Adventure Cycling that were printed for N-S travel, no maps were available then. Didn't make a wrong turn on the entire route. Have never used a GPS, never needed one