Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CrankTank4: carrying water Aussie style

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Brother Shamus 
#1 ·
Came across this on my state's facebook bikepacking page.

Made by Adventure Hydration, an Australian company, it's a molded, 4-liter plastic tank that fits in the "V" of the frame above the crank. The person using it said it took about a month to arrive from Oz.

He used it last week on a bike packing trip in Big Bend and found it worked well.

CrankTank4 $110 Australian = ~ $75 US

Video:

Didn't drill down into the website far enough to locate shipping price to US. They also sell nice neoprene covers for the tank and other accessories, like drinking tubes.

If you're wondering, and I know you are, four liters of water weighs almost 9 lbs.
The container weights 480 grams, or ~ 17 oz.
So -- total weight of filled container would be about 10 pounds.

Bikepacking.com reviewed it in December 2019 here.

See less See more
#4 ·
Check the comments on the bikepacking.com link.

Some folks definitely preferred using a bag in the framepack for various reasons; others, not so much. The slosh factor might also depend on if you are on gravel/bladed roads vs singletrack/rugged double track.

#5 ·
I got one; about USD $22 shipping to Los Angeles.

Have put about 100 miles on it. Looks like it'll be a good solution for bikepacking, but I'm not going to use it for everyday. Mainly comes down to the hose/bite valve. I have a deviated septum, so nose breathing is something I can't do when I'm exerting myself, which is what I'm doing 99% of the time I'm riding. I've found that water in the hose drains down to the reservoir after every drink, which means that drawing water is a heart rate-spiking exercise in sucking the air out of the hose before the water arrives. I thought it might be due to the stock bite valve, so I put an Osprey one on that I thought would seal and prevent the water from draining out of the hose, but that didn't do it either.

Fit on a gravel bike is excellent -- no contact with cranks, and plenty of room for partial frame bag. Sloshing not an issue; I feel it slightly, but no big deal.

Wish it had a transparent window to easily see remaining water level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.