mtbr member

Alloy 29 boost wheels for my Hayduke?

Could you please suggest good alloy wheelset for my boost Hayduke? I have now 27.5+ from WTB and want to switch to 29. I am concerned about wheels and number of spokes, since I am 180lb and plan to packraft. I have Ortlieb bikepacking bags. Looking for your input, please.

(One example is Mavic who suggest 250lb limit including bike for their alloy wheelset and they run 24 spokes.)

I really want something strong to try to eliminate walking/hiking out from backcountry. My WTB wheelset is absolutely fine but as I said I would like to try 29 boost wheelset.

What would be your choice?
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Zoran; 01-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I wouldn't consider Mavic with hard to find proprietary parts. First you need to know what max width rear tire your frame takes. A front should be able to handle 2.8.

mtbr member
    Thank you for reply!
    My back 29 tire canít be bigger than 2.25. I am planning to have the same size tire on both wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Iíve had great performance on both a carbon FS bike and steel hardtail from a set of Stanís Arch Mk3 32h with DT Swiss 240s hubs. Very friendly for tire mounting, hard to rim strike, light and strong. Iíve used 2.2 to 2.6 tires on them without issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm seeing 2.3 which should let you run 2.35 rear, manufacturers being conservative. Like a Nobby Nic or I can suggest a Bonty XR2 2.35 Team. Fast rolling, lasts and is reasonably priced. Provided your terrain doesn't require heavy sidewall protection from slicing rocks all the time.
    So 30-35mm inner rim wheelset. XR2 2.2 team if you are limited on a 30mm rim.. That width rim allows low pressure for a big footprint out of the size you can fit. Everything depends on what tire you can run and where you'll run it.

Rocks belong
    If you want bullet proof, Spank rims and DT Swiss 350 hubs would be my choice
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Thank you all.
    I now have your suggestions as a benchmark for my seach! I really appreciate your time to respond.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    If you want bullet proof, Spank rims and DT Swiss 350 hubs would be my choice
    Something like the Spank Spike Race33 would be awesome. It's 28mm internal width would be a good match for 2.25-2.4" tires, they're bullet proof and still surprisingly light for how burly they are (around 530g/rim for 29er).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    DT rims are among the strongest. XM 481 is 30mm inner.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...untain/xm-481/
    DT 350 hubs. Sapim Laser spokes. Sapim Polyax nipples.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    DT rims are among the strongest. XM 481 is 30mm inner.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/...untain/xm-481/
    DT 350 hubs. Sapim Laser spokes. Sapim Polyax nipples.
    EX471, EX511... yes. XM 481, not so much. They're kinda like the Easton ARC's, nice and wide/stiff but bendable in rocky conditions.

mtbr member
    Lots of good suggestions already for wheels, but wanted to add some info on tire clearance. I stuck a 2.6 Nobby Nic (35mm ID rim) on the back of my Hayduke and it cleared the frame. Not much room for mud clearance with 2.6, but you certainly aren't limited to 2.25.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    Lots of good suggestions already for wheels, but wanted to add some info on tire clearance. I stuck a 2.6 Nobby Nic (35mm ID rim) on the back of my Hayduke and it cleared the frame. Not much room for mud clearance with 2.6, but you certainly aren't limited to 2.25.
    Thank you for this comment!
    You believe I could go to 2.4 size tires? This could be fantastic! I want to have WTB Rangers 29 x 2.4https://www.wtb.com/collections/29-t...12932233429069
    Zoran
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+

www.leavenotraceexpeditions.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iíve used XM 481ís as a rear on both my fully rigid single speeds without any issues. A great rim for a hardtail and fits 2.2 to 2.6 tires without issues. I have WTB ASYMís i35 that I use for my 2.6Ē tires for higher volume. Iím using the XM 481ís with 2.25 Racing Ralphís for light trail and with Maxxis DHRís for rough trails
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not sure if you are still looking, but here is a potentially controversial candidate: The DT Swiss HX 1501. These wheels were designed for e.MTB's, which means they have a higher max. rider weight rating and a higher torque load rating as well. Everything is designed for durability under higher loads, meaning greater impact resistance and greater spoke pull out resistance in the rims, a slightly thicker spoke, various small changes in the hub and for someone who wants to get out in the backcountry, the super easy field serviceable star ratchet.

I don't work for DT, but have a lot of background on these wheels and they are a dream for off road bikepacking.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Iíve had great performance on both a carbon FS bike and steel hardtail from a set of Stanís Arch Mk3 32h with DT Swiss 240s hubs. Very friendly for tire mounting, hard to rim strike, light and strong. Iíve used 2.2 to 2.6 tires on them without issue.

This is probably what I would do, too. Hard to beat.