mtbr member
    Aug 2011

29x 3" tires, steel frame.

I have Karate Monkey, looking at the ECR. Other options? 1X seems like a crap option. Can do 2 or 3x front der. with the ECR. Need an XL. Other options with going expensive custom out there? Not drop bars either. Looking at 2-3 K budget.

turtles make me hot
    What's wrong with the Krampus? The complete bike comes with a one by but it can be a two by... Why, I'm sure I don't know.
    Have you ridden an 11 or 12 speed drivetrain? I came off of nothing but two by tens when I built my Krampus as a 1x11 and haven't looked back. My buddy has GX Eagle on his and I don't think I've ever seen him go to to the 50 tooth ring.
    I like turtles

seedub

1X is fine

FWIW I tend to agree that my 1X11 (and 1X10 before that) is fine. On the low and slow end I can hike/push as fast or faster than pedaling the lowest gear. As far as spinning out goes, only experienced it downhill, or in the all too rare tailwind on an open stretch of pavement. I would hazard a guess that not having a high top gear has cost me 5 minutes in the last five years.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    What's wrong with the Krampus? The complete bike comes with a one by but it can be a two by... Why, I'm sure I don't know.
    Have you ridden an 11 or 12 speed drivetrain? I came off of nothing but two by tens when I built my Krampus as a 1x11 and haven't looked back. My buddy has GX Eagle on his and I don't think I've ever seen him go to to the 50 tooth ring.
    Krampus is more trail bike, ECR is set up more bikepacking, very similar though. I run a 1x11 on my fatty, works fine. On a 50 -60 lb rig where I may be doing long slow grades, I don't want 4-5 T cassette jumps. I use my 22-36 all the time, as well as my 46 T chainring. Choices are good thing. I love cranking on slight downhills too. Other bike selections?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seedub View Post
    FWIW I tend to agree that my 1X11 (and 1X10 before that) is fine. On the low and slow end I can hike/push as fast or faster than pedaling the lowest gear. As far as spinning out goes, only experienced it downhill, or in the all too rare tailwind on an open stretch of pavement. I would hazard a guess that not having a high top gear has cost me 5 minutes in the last five years.
    Gearing is very personal. I want to ride my bike, not push it. Pavement? I try to avoid that. Pedaled in New England? Lots of steep pitches, both up and down. Got a bike suggestion?

mtbr member
    What about the Salsa Fargo? It's like the king of off the shelf bikepacking 29x3" wheeled bikes. You don't have to run drop bars on the Fargo. For $999 you get the frameset that comes with the amazing Salsa carbon fork. Also, you can run a double on the Fargo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My understanding from their page is that the tt length will be very cramped running a flat bar with a bike designed for drops. At 6'4" I need all I can get.

mtbr member
    Hard to beat the Jones LWB:

29x 3" tires, steel frame.-img_0837.jpg

At 6'3", I'm just a bit smaller than you. This is maybe the most comfortable, capable mountain bike I've had.
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thoroughly enjoy the ECR. In my opinion, low gears are my friend; I don't like pushing bikes. Long daunting uphills need low gears. Downhills are for coasting. Purchased the ECR the first year they became available, at 6'4'' the XL works well. Recently added a KINEKT seat post, and like it.
    Good Luck with your build, Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29x 3" tires, steel frame.-pa120065.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Hard to beat the Jones LWB:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	464.1 KB 
ID:	1232894

At 6'3", I'm just a bit smaller than you. This is maybe the most comfortable, capable mountain bike I've had.
    Looked at those, may revisit. All the bits for running cages and racks? Thoughts? Do tell, thanks. Set it up for bikepacking?

seedub

Bikepacking or just the + platform?

Gearing isn't personal to me. Wait, maybe it is... I responded to you calling 1X a crap option! : ) Up and down yes, I began MTBing in SE Minnesota bluff country.
    The ECR is a dedicated bikepacking bike so I assumed you would use it primarily for bikepacking. Finding long routes that do not include some pave, some flat, some roads and some pushing is pretty rare IMO. If you are not looking for a dedicated bikepacking bike I would choose something with a higher BB than the ECR but that would still do the job when called upon. I have a Krampus and it is a hoot, now a Jones + and it is better but not by a whole bunch, maybe not worth the extra $. The Jones does have attachments galore, but attaching to the truss fork requires specific bags or some other homemade strapping and such.
    I do love steel, so many nice bikes out there. I envy your quest.
    29x 3" tires, steel frame.-jplusoakridge2.jpg
    Last edited by seedub; 1 Week Ago at 01:11 PM. Reason: adding photo, since everyone else is...
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Leeboh, absolutely agree with you, when I was looking for a new bike to replace my '08 Monkey (wanted something bigger and a bit slacker), I looked at the ECR, but the reach is so short that if you ran flat bars, the biggest size would probably only properly fit someone <5'11". Was looking at the new Monkey, but the availability was bad and then I found the new Unit, 484mm Reach, can fit 29x3" with sliders slammed all the way back, with enough room to deal with some mud, 69* HTA, easily slacked out to 68.6 with an external lower cup, lots of bosses.

How I've set up my Unit is as a Dingle Ring (32/38) 10spd using the middle and outer spots on an old XT triple crank paired to an 11-36 cassette with the 11t dropped and a 42t expander cog. I initially set it up with the inner and middle positions and 24/32 rings and a standard 11-36 cassette, but found that when in the inner ring position, if I was running a true 3" tyre, that I could not access the biggest cog without the chain rubbing on the tyre and on the 2nd biggest if there was even a slight bit of mud, so I switched to the current setup.

Biggest thing I think you want if you're going to be running true 3" tyres is a frame that can handle 148 or better yet 150/157 if you want tyre clearance and decent chainline with a standard 51mm chainline - 135 rear was good with 47mm chainline, 51mm was always too much. You could technically run the Unit setup similar to how I have it, but replace the 32 ring with a 30 and the 38 with something bigger and just manually swap (FD will fit) when you want more speed or more low gears/trail riding and then couple that with an 11-42 11spd cassette in the back. I use the 38t ring mainly for getting too/from the trails or commuting, basically road riding, other than that, the 32/42 combo is more than enough, even for our steepest hills, but can definitely imagine you'd want something a good bit lower with a loaded touring setup.

Had to include a photo of my Unit, so very happy with it.

29x 3&quot; tires, steel frame.-dscn1773_wp.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Thingamejigger
    I have a Niner Ros9+... love it, with the caveat that as pointed out above, 148mm boost spacing would be better for low gear clearance. I run Eagle X01 and on occasion rub the tyre with a 49mm chainline. It doesnt have all the fancy bosses like some of the others, but that doesnt stop be loading it up and taking off into the countryside.

Jones Plus is a nice machine, I'd get the truss forks.

29x 3&quot; tires, steel frame.-43882811371_7110518487_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Geraldv9 View Post
    Thoroughly enjoy the ECR. In my opinion, low gears are my friend; I don't like pushing bikes. Long daunting uphills need low gears. Downhills are for coasting. Purchased the ECR the first year they became available, at 6'4'' the XL works well. Recently added a KINEKT seat post, and like it.
    Good Luck with your build, Enjoy
    The reach seems short to me, wavering on the Krampus instead. I too am 6'4", 33 L pants, 37" sleeves for a dress shirt.

mtbr member
    The Jones has every braze on you could possibly want: five bottle cage mounts, plus more if you use the many bosses on the lower seatstays. Oddly, it has four lower mounts on the seatstays, but no upper mounts. So, use upper P clamps if you want to attach a rear rack. it does have bridges and bosses for full fenders.

I've had both a Stache and a Krampus, and I prefer my Jones to either one. The Krampus just felt kind of heavy and stiff to me. The Jones rides a lot lighter. I don't think it actually is any lighter, probably heavier, but you would never guess that when riding it. The Trek was easier to get the front wheel up, but that was the end of its advantages.

Anyway, forget all the bikepacking and comfort stuff, the Jones is just a fine mountain bike. It's the best climbing and most confident descending bike I've ever owned or tried. My old Karate Monkey is a little livelier in flat and twisty trails, so they make a nice pair to ride as my mood or terrain changes.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Looked at those, may revisit. All the bits for running cages and racks? Thoughts? Do tell, thanks. Set it up for bikepacking?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

seedub
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    The Jones has every braze on you could possibly want: five bottle cage mounts, plus more if you use the many bosses on the lower seatstays. Oddly, it has four lower mounts on the seatstays, but no upper mounts. So, use upper P clamps if you want to attach a rear rack. it does have bridges and bosses for full fenders.

I've had both a Stache and a Krampus, and I prefer my Jones to either one. The Krampus just felt kind of heavy and stiff to me. The Jones rides a lot lighter. I don't think it actually is any lighter, probably heavier, but you would never guess that when riding it. The Trek was easier to get the front wheel up, but that was the end of its advantages.

Anyway, forget all the bikepacking and comfort stuff, the Jones is just a fine mountain bike. It's the best climbing and most confident descending bike I've ever owned or tried. My old Karate Monkey is a little livelier in flat and twisty trails, so they make a nice pair to ride as my mood or terrain changes.
    See my updated reply "Bikepacking or just the + platform?" post with a photo of my J+ with the full capability on display, with the exception of the rear rack, I only use that for non-singletrack trips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I have Karate Monkey, looking at the ECR. Other options? 1X seems like a crap option. Can do 2 or 3x front der. ...
    Marin Pine Mountain 2 can easily handle 3" wide
    My Trek Stache has 3.25 front and rear

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stache is Aluminum.

mtbr member
    Some good suggestions already. I'll give you my opinion on them, and add to the list:

Surly Krampus: More trail oriented. I you want a bikepacker and trail bike, it's a good low cost option.

Surly ECR: Cost effective 29+ dirt tourer.

Surly Karate Monkey: I think it fits 29x3 tires. similar to the Krampus I guess, but maybe lighter?

Salsa Fargo: May fit full 29x3" tires, not sure. Geometry set up for drop bar, so compromises if you want a flat/Jones bar.

Jones LWB: From what you describe, I think this is the ultimate bike, as long as your budget can handle it!

Chumba Ursa: Steel 29+ from a small manufacturer in Texas. Probably a little more trail oriented than whet you want, but worth a look. Made in the USA.

Custom?: I went with a custom Waltworks a few years back and love it. It was designed for and runs a Jones Truss fork and I have a set of Jones bags for the truss fork, super stable.

29x 3&quot; tires, steel frame.-img_1368.jpg

mtbr member
    As for gearing, IMHO, 1x11 or 1x12 is plenty for bikepacking. If you're racing the Tour Divide maybe you need more range though. I'm running 1x11 with a 28t ring and 11-46t cassette and that's plenty for me. Maybe if the load is really heavy and I was doing lots of vertical I'd mount a 26t ring. If I'm going over 25MPH, I'm coasting!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Innova Transformers thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Some good suggestions already. I'll give you my opinion on them, and add to the list:
    Dear Bikeny, Not to hijack thread, But... I noticed I think the Innova Pro Transformer on your front tire. I would love to hear your thoughts on the tire, versus others you have tried in the 29x3.0 size. Thx!
    Surly Krampus: More trail oriented. I you want a bikepacker and trail bike, it's a good low cost option.

Surly ECR: Cost effective 29+ dirt tourer.

Surly Karate Monkey: I think it fits 29x3 tires. similar to the Krampus I guess, but maybe lighter?

Salsa Fargo: May fit full 29x3" tires, not sure. Geometry set up for drop bar, so compromises if you want a flat/Jones bar.

Jones LWB: From what you describe, I think this is the ultimate bike, as long as your budget can handle it!

Chumba Ursa: Steel 29+ from a small manufacturer in Texas. Probably a little more trail oriented than whet you want, but worth a look. Made in the USA.

Custom?: I went with a custom Waltworks a few years back and love it. It was designed for and runs a Jones Truss fork and I have a set of Jones bags for the truss fork, super stable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	278.5 KB 
ID:	1233658
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    I don't believe the Surly KM fits 29x3, 27.5x3 (650b+) and 29x2.5ish should fit.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

turtles make me hot
    ^^ Yep.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Not sure all of what's been mentioned before...
    Surly Wednesday?
    Buy complete with 2x10. ~ $1500.
    Build up a good set of 29 x wheels/tires. ~ $750
    Now you have two bikes! Still on budget.
    A friend of mine did exactly this. At 6'4'' he's on an XL frame and it fits him very well.
    Given your height, I doubt the wider Q factor is an issue for touring.
    Plus for touring, who wants machine built wheela anyways?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the input. Went with the Krampus in bruised ego purple.