Zion 853 frame- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Zion 853 frame

  1. #1
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,965

    New question here. Zion 853 or Soma Groove?

    Anybody out there have any experience with the Zion 853 hardtail frame? There are no reviews of this frame in the product review section. Jenson's got 'em marked down to $289 (with free shipping) right now. Intended usage would be strictly XC riding (80mm fork, rim brakes, etc...) and the occasional Sport level XC race. What are other options for a steel hardtail frame at $400 or less? I see that the Soma Groove is listed on Soma's website for $359, and the 19" looks to be about a half pound lighter (at 4.25 lbs) than the Zion (at 4.8 lbs). However, again, there are no reviews of this frame in the product review section.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 04-27-2005 at 08:05 AM.

  2. #2
    That's my name
    Reputation: mr plow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    649
    The singlespeed forum will be able to help you here!

    Zion 853 search results
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=690743

    Soma Groove search results
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=690751

    Cheers.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    48
    My recommendation would be to save another $100 and grab an Ionic (Dean) Steelhead. They're offering them at $500 (vs. regular price of $750). I added an extra $50 to get the disk option. Frame weighs in at 3.7 lbs and yes, IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! (They even put Dean stickers on it for me, rather than Ionic).

    Susan


    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Anybody out there have any experience with the Zion 853 hardtail frame? There are no reviews of this frame in the product review section. Jenson's got 'em marked down to $289 (with free shipping) right now. Intended usage would be strictly XC riding (80mm fork, rim brakes, etc...) and the occasional Sport level XC race. What are other options for a steel hardtail frame at $400 or less? I see that the Soma Groove is listed on Soma's website for $359, and the 19" looks to be about a half pound lighter (at 4.25 lbs) than the Zion (at 4.8 lbs). However, again, there are no reviews of this frame in the product review section.

  4. #4
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,965

    Price

    Quote Originally Posted by susannyny
    My recommendation would be to save another $100 and grab an Ionic (Dean) Steelhead. They're offering them at $500 (vs. regular price of $750). I added an extra $50 to get the disk option. Frame weighs in at 3.7 lbs and yes, IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! (They even put Dean stickers on it for me, rather than Ionic).

    Susan
    Where are they offering that price? The Ionic website says $750.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    48
    Go to the Ionic web site and click on the "specials" link. My mistake --- the frame was $550, not $500. Still a bargain at that price!

    Susan



    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Where are they offering that price? The Ionic website says $750.

Similar Threads

  1. What did my 88 Fat Chance sell for new?
    By mojo in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:26 PM
  2. steel ht: '05 Jamis Exile or Zion 853 build ?
    By antonio in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 11:24 PM
  3. Zion 853 EBB...?
    By jualn in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 07:32 AM
  4. comparison of ProPedal, Float and ALPS on same frame
    By ccm in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 08:37 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.