Yet another "Which bike?" Thread $2000- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Yet another "Which bike?" Thread $2000

Well I have been riding a Haro Flightline Comp that I got for a good price last year and it has treated me well but I think it is time to move on to an FS bike. The friends I ride with have FS bikes and they typically kick my ass down the trails. I have decided that my budget is no more than $2000 + tax. I have found these two bikes that I really like:

2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7

My LBS sells the Stumpjumper and I haven't been able to locate a dealer that sells Marin.

Another option that would be interesting is buying the Marin frame and building my own bike (feasible?). I would probably end up transferring stuff from the Haro at first (if possible) allowing me to buy better components for my initial $2000 and then slowly replace the Haro stuff.

Opinions? I know its silly but if I am going to spend $2000 on a bike (not much to some of you) I want to have a bike that is not only good from a mechanical/function standpoint but is aesthetically pleasing to me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How do you know you really like the Marin if you haven't ridden it yet? I assume you haven't ridden it anyways since you don't have a local dealer. I guess you could have ridden a buddies bike.

I suggest you go to every LBS around and ride every bike in your price range. You will find the one that feels the best for you. You can't read which bike was better for somebody else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Dora Cycles
    How do you know you really like the Marin if you haven't ridden it yet? I assume you haven't ridden it anyways since you don't have a local dealer. I guess you could have ridden a buddies bike.

I suggest you go to every LBS around and ride every bike in your price range. You will find the one that feels the best for you. You can't read which bike was better for somebody else.
    My friend has a much older Marin that I was able to ride on a trail and it felt really nice. Unfortunately, I cannot try a the Stumpjumper on a trail so I am not sure which to go with. I prefer to support my LBS whenever possible...

I am still curious whether or not I should consider buying the Marin frame and building the bike myself. Sounds like it would be a fun experience. I was hoping for some input on moving the components from the Haro frame and upgrading as much as possible with very nice components until my $2000 budget.

From what I have been able to find, I think that the Stumpjumper frame is lighter than the Marin?

mtbr member
    I wouldnt be swapping out the parts from the Haro to another frame as the Haro was relatively inexpensive to begin with. The only exception I would make is if the Haro had a broken frame. On any part swap the front derailleur, headset, and seatpost can all be different from one frame to another. That can easily add $100 or more to your frame upgrade.

If I was on a budget of $2,000 and was looking for a decent XC trail bike I would probably focus in on maybe four bikes and really narrow the size down. The four I would be looking at would be the Trek EX, Giant Anthem, Stumpjumper and Epic. I would also be considering a used bike along with a steep discount on a new bike.

Heres an example of a used Epic at a reasonable price. If it hasnt been riddent too hard and the Fox fork hasnt been swapped out for something cheap would be worth looking at if you are around 600 tall. http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/1696458577.html

If weight was a consideration I would probably be looking at something from around 2007-2008 that was built up with all XT/XTR and a decent set of light wheels like DT Swiss 240's.

TRANCER
    Check if you can find a left over 2009 Giant Trance X2. My buddy found one for like $1800. You can't go wrong
    Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0