Yep.. another "what bike to buy" thread...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Yep.. another "what bike to buy" thread...

No results yet in the Michigan forum... so I figured I'd throw it up here. Riding would be in Michigan. Maybe a couple downhill trips a year tops... So I'm not interested in buying a bike specifically for that. So.. here is my post from the other forum. Any tips/info would be great.

Sorry for another noob question- but here it is. I've read all the threads on here and in general discussion regarding bike purchasing. I'm not looking to get coached along too much, but here it is...

6ft 165lbs. Been riding a HT for the last 6 years. I've been on a few FS bikes (none on the trail) - and they always feel odd to me (since I'm so used to my current bike). I currently am a weekend warrior but make frequent trips to Marquette and have yet to bring the bike along. So, now purchasing a new bike this spring and noticing the closest thing to DH riding would be up there if I should take the plunge and go FS. I'd just assume buy an equivalent bike in HT for considerably less than the FS- but I'd consider it none the less.

The current FS bike I'm looking at is the Trek Fuel 80 - please bash it if you can since I'm having a hard time not buying it. I'm also very interested in the Kona Dawg Primo and Supreme

-Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    First off, keep an open mind! The bikes you are considering are all pretty good! There are others though. You may also want to keep your eyes peeled (i.e. local bike shops and internet retailers) for '06 models. If you see one at your local bike shop- make them an offer! They may be willing to let it go for cheap!

As for not getting used to the feel of full suspension? I believe we all said that the first time we hopped on a FS bike! The truth is bikes have advanced so much in recent years, you should not worry about that at all!!! On many rear shocks, you can "technically" lock them out with the flick of a switch! Problem solved. Instant hardtail.

Have you thought of an Iron Horse MKIII? Five inches of travel. Very efficient pedaler. An amazing bike! rscycle.com has some pretty amazing deals on '06 models! What makes the bike truly special is the dw-link rear suspension. Visit dw-link.com for a basic run through of the suspension. Browse the MTBR reviews section for even more info. And NO, I don't work for the company!!!!!

Ultimately, you must choose the bike that works best for you. Be honest with yourself. Ride the bike before you buy- even if it means 30 minutes in a parking lot. Make sure it fits etc. etc. etc.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    yeah dude MKIII is the way to roll
    suspension is great, good parts, stupid cheap, good geometry
    a little on the heavy side though

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I must agree with ALXBRSK- the MKIII is the way to roll!!! HAHAHA!

First off, the '06 prices are soooo low, the weight shouldn't be an issue. First, the frame weight gives the bike a solid feel!! Second, the prices are so freakin' cheap one can upgrade and eBay the parts one doesn't want!! Lighter pedals, lighter tires, tubeless, new wheelset. Carbon bars!!! As for the MKIII Team- the bike is plenty light. The Expert is a steal! THIRD- the bike pedals so efficiently, it feels lighter than it actually is.

Listen, all I am trying to say is give the bike a look!!! Don't let the search get overly complicated. Any NEW bike written down on your "list" will do a fine job.

Good Luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0