Yea, another frame sizing question? (17.5" vs. 19.5")- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Yea, another frame sizing question? (17.5" vs. 19.5")

I took some measurements and they are as follows. These are all with shoes on. Height is around 5'11", true inseam (book in crotch method) is 34" and my dress shirt sleeve length is 34". The bike in question is the Iron Horse Warrior Race. Do you think the 17.5" or the 19.5" better suits me? I have no problem putting on a shorter/longer stem if necessary. My old Haro was a 17.5", but I always felt a little cramped on it. I know how manufacturers differ in their sizings. TIA

BTW, I wouldn't be asking this question if I had a LBS to go to to try out the various sizes for myself.
    Last edited by BMRisko; 08-19-2006 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take the necessary measurements from a frame you know fits you (standover, toptube length) then compare those to the same measurements of the bike you like from the mfrs website. You should be able to tell if you'll be able to fit on the bike the way you like just by altering the seatpost & stem.

mtbr member
    go with the 19.5

No good in rock gardens..
    Hmm. I'm only about five seven and I ride a 22.5 top tube with a 100mm stem on a 16 inch frame. Iron Horse lists the top tube of their 17 incher at 22.46. Could be a be tight for your height IMO. The 19 is 23.07 according to them. On the 17 I'd think your seatpost would be out a mile too.
    Less isn't MOAR

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMRisko
    These are all with shoes on. Height is around 5'11", true inseam (book in crotch method) is 34"
    ...this brings up a question: I've always read that for sizing a bicycle one should measure his true insteam with the "book in crotch" method, but *without* shoes on. Then, (for simplicity lets use road bikes and C-T) you multiply this value in cm by 0.67 to get your C-T frame size. No? To again emphasize, the question is in measuring inseam with or without shoes on.

Disclaimer: I know that since we're talking about mountain bikes the measurement needn't be so presice, but I'm just curious.

-p

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BMRisko
    I took some measurements and they are as follows. These are all with shoes on. Height is around 5'11", true inseam (book in crotch method) is 34" and my dress shirt sleeve length is 34". The bike in question is the Iron Horse Warrior Race. Do you think the 17.5" or the 19.5" better suits me? I have no problem putting on a shorter/longer stem if necessary. My old Haro was a 17.5", but I always felt a little cramped on it. I know how manufacturers differ in their sizings. TIA

BTW, I wouldn't be asking this question if I had a LBS to go to to try out the various sizes for myself.
    Top tube length is much more important than seat tube length when fitting a mtb. I have ridden everything from a "17-inch" to a "22-inch" mtb and each had about the same length TT.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No good in rock gardens..

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Top tube length is much more important than seat tube length when fitting a mtb. I have ridden everything from a "17-inch" to a "22-inch" mtb and each had about the same length TT.

You said it.

I have one bike that's an "18 inch" that has a 22.5 TT

I have a "16 inch" that also has a 22.5 TT
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    try asking in the Iron Horse forum for responses from people that ride the actual bike

Members who have read this thread: 0