XC + urban/DJ?? can one bike do it?- Mtbr.com
    robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

XC + urban/DJ?? can one bike do it?

I'm interested in a XC that can hit some jumps and urban play. Am thinking 100mm fork on a HT, but keep weight reasonable for the XC side of play.

The spech p-series and giant's stp seem a little too commited to "overbuilt" for trail fun.

suggestions?

gratzi,

-capt p

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    chameleon

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

my thoughts exactly

The Santa Cruz Chameleon would be able to do XC + urban without a problem. Check out the Santa Cruz forum to get more info on this bike.

hands up who wants to die
    Evil, On-one 456, Sinister.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Not just famous; infamous

Endless Cycles

I've seen a couple of pix of Endless Bike's frames with long seatposts, looks like a great all-arounder.

Uhm...went to the site, looks like it's could be a single speed only. Check it out...

www.endlessbikes.com

mtbr member
    compromising sucks. i've done it 2 times....an Imperial, and a DOC. if you must attempt to get an all-arounder, my vote is a DOC.

How are you liking your DOC Inbred?
    Which size/how tall are you?
    Are you just urban/Park-ing it or do you get onto the trails too?

thanks man. I'm in the market again...

-r

mtbr member
    i actually sold it. i was using it mostly for trail rides, but i didn't have it set up as a trail bike. it was a pure urban build. figured i'd be better off with a trail bike, so i sold it.

i was on a regular, using a 70mm stem, and am 6' tall. a bit small for a trail bike, but nice for a street machine. i did ride it with a 100mm stem, and that was pretty nice on the trail. it was heavy, probably in the 30lbs range. more of a point and shoot type, than nimble.

as a park/ urban bike or a trail bike, it's great. but trying to make it be both a great trail bike and urban bike...well, something's gotta give, you know?

totally.
    I'm 6' and thinking of getting a DOC with a 5" Vanilla for commuting/light urban and some trail use. I'd go for the long size I guess. But now the DOCs are out of stock and I'm second guessing myself...
    Maybe I'll get an Inbred 456 instead.
    I still like the looks of the Sovereign, but it's too $$$.
    I'm 29 and maybe kidding myself that I'm ever going to learn how to do any serious urban. But then again, I work 1/2 mile from the Brooklyn Banks...

thanks for the info.

-rob in Brooklyn

mtbr member
    i hadn't see that 456 until i read this thread. that frame looks awesome, and i love the looks of the geometry and measurments. i definitely would've looked at that more had i known about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    rocky mountain flow. i have a 130mm marz fork up front, except on steeper climbs, as long as you keep ur chest low and forward, it's fine up in the trails.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

cove handjob, too

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    rocky mountain flow. i have a 130mm marz fork up front, except on steeper climbs, as long as you keep ur chest low and forward, it's fine up in the trails.

looks like there ARE frames for the job.

hmmmm, budget's sucking right now. anyone know if jenson still sells chamelon clones/rebrands?

what level components on this type bike - LX? XT? Saint?

I admit that right now i'm just an XC guy, but I'd like to do some basic urban and jumping. But I'm not planning on dropping of houses just yet.

-capt p

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    I'm interested in a XC that can hit some jumps and urban play. Am thinking 100mm fork on a HT, but keep weight reasonable for the XC side of play.

The spech p-series and giant's stp seem a little too commited to "overbuilt" for trail fun.

suggestions?

gratzi,

-capt p
    I must say that my STP is not my choice for 24 mile trail rides, but it sure is fun, and a sweet custom XC hard tail went to keep it. The K-Rad tires will wash out in soft and loose stuff, but they are very fun in other ways. The bike is not light, but the best proof for how versatile and grand it is might be that I even pull the Burley with it, and that I got a better lock so it can replace my single speed as the one carried with during the work week to drive less.

My circumstances might be different because I have 3 kids in my routine now, but the STP is "the one bike" more than I expected. It works for a neighborhood errand, it's serious fun on trails that are not an epic ride, it makes 30-90 minutes of going nowhere super fun. I find two hours that would have been 30-60 minutes of transporting a bike to a trail are now two hours of fun and exercise right from my driveway.

I suggest doing as many test rides on different types of bikes as you can and it will help you be comfortable with your purchase decision. The Fisher Biggins bikes were similar and maybe some you should consider too, and I see guys riding an 06 Mongoose that looks nice and they're loving it.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    I must say that my STP is not my choice for 24 mile trail rides, but it sure is fun, and a sweet custom XC hard tail went to keep it. The K-Rad tires will wash out in soft and loose stuff, but they are very fun in other ways. The bike is not light, but the best proof for how versatile and grand it is might be that I even pull the Burley with it, and that I got a better lock so it can replace my single speed as the one carried with during the work week to drive less.

My circumstances might be different because I have 3 kids in my routine now, but the STP is "the one bike" more than I expected. It works for a neighborhood errand, it's serious fun on trails that are not an epic ride, it makes 30-90 minutes of going nowhere super fun. I find two hours that would have been 30-60 minutes of transporting a bike to a trail are now two hours of fun and exercise right from my driveway.

I suggest doing as many test rides on different types of bikes as you can and it will help you be comfortable with your purchase decision. The Fisher Biggins bikes were similar and maybe some you should consider too, and I see guys riding an 06 Mongoose that looks nice and they're loving it.
    well, see this is sorta my delemma as well. a bike that will make "right out the door" fun, feel like an overgrown BMX, haul a trailer (how do you like the burley and what do they cost), and do for my 6-ish mile commute to work with the occassional home-made MX trail I found. I'd prolly just keep my XC, so this may not become my "only" bike - ie, long trails.

So do you commute on it or just take it to work to have it there?

What does the STP weigh?

Like I said, I'm no hardcore jumper/big drops guy, but i'd love to learn to flow the urban trail and catch some air.

gratzi,

-capt p