xc with a slack head angle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

xc with a slack head angle?

Hello everyone,
    So I have been getting more and more into mountain bike riding, and I am looking to upgrade my frame from a hardtail to a FS. But my problem is that I want the suspension to be around 4" so I can just use my fork from my bike now but I also want the head angle to be a little slack like around 69 or 68. Do any of you know which bikes fall into this category?
    I am just looking to buy a second hand frame and have been looking at:
    Yeti ASR SL- Seems right in both categories.
    Santa Cruz Blur- Right in travel but a little too steep.

Any info could help.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Banshee Spitfire?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    My Giant Trance X is 69.5
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Aren't the Banshee Spitfire and Giant Trance X both 5" rear suspension travel?
    I need 4" to match the front shock. How would it change the bike to put a 4" fork on a 5" rear travel frame?

Never trust a fart
    Just because the rear travel on the bike is greater than 4" that you are looking for, doesn't mean that the bike isn't designed around a 100mm travel fork.

That is what you need to be looking at. A bike with a 69-68 degree headtube angle with the 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Just because the rear travel on the bike is greater than 4" that you are looking for, doesn't mean that the bike isn't designed around a 100mm travel fork.

That is what you need to be looking at. A bike with a 69-68 degree headtube angle with the 100mm fork.
    Oh okay I thought the rear and front travel had to match, but that makes sense. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Check out 4x bikes, like the Intense Tazer. They typically have 4" travel and are designed around 4" forks with slacker-than-xc angles. Trouble is they're usually a little overbuilt and may have limited sizes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Morewood Zula

Hi,

I was also on the hunt for a 100mm full susser that had a slacker head angle and I went for the Morewood Zula. You won't find one secondhand (unless you get one off a South African forum) and there's a backlog on orders because of the demand for them but I promise it's worth the wait.

I've posted a review for it on this site.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Bumping this. I'm looking for something like this too. I have a new Fox F100 that I got a great deal on and would like some ideas on a full suspension frame that is a bit slacker (and perhaps a bit more rugged) than the typical xc bike.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

I'm with stupid
    cannondale rz 120

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sell the fork and buy the right frame for how you ride. the fork might be convertable to a longer travel if it is a rock shox?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cannondale Rush (Carbon or Aluminum) have a 69 degree head tube angle. They typically came with a 110 mm travel lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASI CA
    Cannondale Rush (Carbon or Aluminum) have a 69 degree head tube angle. They typically came with a 110 mm travel lefty.
    +1.

Awesome setup. Marathon XC. Basically fast as an XC bike but more forgiving and better suited to faster sections.
    Just get out and ride!

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    The now discontinued Banshee Pyre Mk2 can run a 100mm fork and will have a 69-degree HTA. I might try to pick up a used one if one pops up somewhere.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

Formerly The Agency
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankthelab
    Hi,

I was also on the hunt for a 100mm full susser that had a slacker head angle and I went for the Morewood Zula. You won't find one secondhand (unless you get one off a South African forum) and there's a backlog on orders because of the demand for them but I promise it's worth the wait.

I've posted a review for it on this site.
    Actually, Fanatik has them on sale right now. People could still pick one up this week...no wait. https://fanatikbike.com/product/10-m...-zula-7447.htm

I have a 2010 frame in Black as well that they could supply too. My 2011 has different paint and logos...that's the only change. Ride On!

MTBR wants you to know I work for:
    Corsair Bikes
    Atomlab Components

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Second the Cannondale Rush.

EDR
    Yeti ASR5 C has 5 inches of rear travel but designed around a 120mm fork. They are now ok'ing the use of a 140mm fork on the carbon version. 68 degree HA, probably closer to 67.5 with a 140mm fork. Seems like a XC+ bike if that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    does anyone know if the Zula has a different shock tune this year as well?

Woudl luva comparision between the Zula and asr5

Members who have read this thread: 1