XC and enduro racer- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

XC and enduro racer

I currently own a Trek STP (softtail) that I have owned for a number of years. I am currently trying to decide if I should stick with the stp as I have got on very well with it and just upgrade some components or if I should go for a new bike. I am planning to race some 24hour races (pairs and fours), some enduro's and some local XC's (I am mainly a multisport athlete but really enjoyed my first 24 race last year). I like my bike but it has no disk mounts and I would quite like to give them a try.

I am trying to decide if I should go for a hardtail - (Airbourne, Giant carbon, Trek 9.8) or a FS - (Trek Fuel 98, SC Superlight). My Lbs has both Treks in store(+ i get a 10% discount). I wouldn't really want to get a bike that was much heavier than my current bike which is why I am considering the hardtails.

If I kept my softtail and still went for a new bike what would complement it best a full susser or Hardtail?

decisions decisions

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess a lot might depend on other factors like your age and where your going to race.

I plan to do a few marathon and a 24 hr race this year. I'm in my thirties and live in the NorthWest. Right now I'm looking at the Trek Fuel 95 or the Specialized Stump FSR Expert. I would love to get another hard tail but my poor old body can not take that abuse anymore.