XC-AM hardtail frame under 300?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

XC-AM hardtail frame under 300?

Long version:
    My roommate has a bike that is just too small for him and its driving him nuts. He's about 5'10" and 145lb. He really likes the feel of 17.5" to 18.5" frames. We do a cross between XC and AM riding. No racing. His current bike is pretty nice (shimano SLX components, avid bb7's, rockshox judy etc..) He is looking to spend up to $600 to convert his bike over to a larger frame including new pedals, new seat( and most likely seat-post), new crankset and new rear cassette.

Is he better off buying a new bike for 600-700 (and sell his old bike) or part his old bike and spend 500-600 on a new frame and components? The 600-700 bikes all seem a step or two below his.

I figure that we can spend 200-350 on a decent hardtail frame (his preference) and then get the rest of the stuff needed with the money left over.

I'm really having difficult time finding a decent frame in this price range can some suggest some things to show him?

Short version:
    Hey - need a good hardtail frame.
    price: $200-$350
    size: 17.5" to 18.5" frame
    use: XC - AM
    disc brake compatible : yes
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    -Danny
    Last edited by nerbaneth; 09-12-2010 at 02:11 PM.

T.W.O.
    Used frame, check out Cannondale F series, I've seen Chase as low as $150.

On One frame start about 200.

Then there are frame from Price point, performance bike, nashbar bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ragley blue pig, or the new one that is has a little steeper head tube angle and is a little more XC. great bikes.

The White Jeff W
    +1 on the Ragleys

The mmmbop. is aluminum. Excellent frame, $230 shipped to the US.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39113

The Blue Pig is the steel version $355 shipped to the US

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39112
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    btw, can run the pig with a 120mm fork, just fine. also look at the new little pig, or whatever ragley calls it - i forget. shorter travel bike with less slack hta.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    btw, can run the pig with a 120mm fork, just fine. also look at the new little pig, or whatever ragley calls it - i forget. shorter travel bike with less slack hta.
    I saw these today! They are called piglets!

They look awesome! although I would like them to do the same with the mmmbop...same as the piglet, but aluminum, and 1.5 steerer...slightly steeper.

Can the mmmbop be ridden with a 120 fork without feeling weird?
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    what is the difference between the nashbar and the mmmbop? They seem to be the same weight.. the material is a little different. Any major performance or warranty difference? I noticed people seem to be putting shocks with 140mm and up travel on the mmmbop. Will a 100mm fork work or mess the geometry?

Sorry for the shotty typing - It's late and I figured I would ask these questions before I went to bed.

Thanks so much everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    DH bomber, the mmmbop can be ridden with a 120mm fork. While I was between forks, selling and buying, I ran a reba at 115mm on my Pig. It rode fine. The seat tube angle was a little steep for the really pitchy stuff but not that bad. Keep in mind that I was using this bike as a trail HT as it was built up pretty light.

nerbaneth, IMO the nashbar bikes and the ragley bikes are two totally different animals. Do yourself a favor and get the ragley. You can always get their "piglet" if you want to run a shorter fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Now you all have convinced me on the ragley. Except - a new fork isn't in the budget. I've got a 100mm judy fork that my roommate really likes and wants on his new bike. I don't think the piglet is for sale right now? I find everywhere that putting a 140mm fork on a bike meant for a 100mm fork is a bad idea. Is the other way around just as bad?

Could someone point me to either a piglet on a retail site or another good frame like it?

Thanks!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by nerbaneth
    Now you all have convinced me on the ragley. Except - a new fork isn't in the budget. I've got a 100mm judy fork that my roommate really likes and wants on his new bike. I don't think the piglet is for sale right now? I find everywhere that putting a 140mm fork on a bike meant for a 100mm fork is a bad idea. Is the other way around just as bad?
    Yes, don't do it. The mmmbop can take 130-150mm forks. It's optimized for 140mm.

The designer is on the forums, so you should be able to ask him about 100mm and a retail site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think 100mm would be way too steep for the Pig. you'd have a STA around 75 degrees, maybe steeper. If he cannot get a longer travel fork, say in the 120/130 range or bigger, keep looking.
    BTW, used forks can be had on ebay for a steal. I just sold a Reba in great condition for just over $200. Might be worth it to not but a bike based on the requirements of an old fork.

Santa Cruz Cameleon is supposed to work with a 100mm fork. I've seen them used on the classifieds.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    check out Performancecycle.com just got a sick Access XCL frame super light disc and v brake, comes with headset made out of 6061 $99.00. for 26 or $119.00 for 29. in red, black, blue, and silver can't go wrong. I just built a black 26 hardtail frame and it looks sick and handles even better super fast and light love it. You don"t have to spend a grip to get a good frame check it out.

Wēk Ss
    how'd you get it for $99?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland
    how'd you get it for $99?
    their price goes up and down over time, plus Performance does coupons that occasionally apply to bike frames. Current price of $119 is the most expensive they've been I think, but they've been as low as $89 too. There was a coupon just recently for $20 off that brought the frame down to $99 again.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah and last week they had a 10% online only coupon, plus it stacked with coupon 723 or 727 (dont remember which) bringing the price down to $97 with shipping! Really wish I had jumped on it at that time. Now have to play the waiting game again for the 9r frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0