mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Woohoo!! My first mountain bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Check it out, let me know what you think, I just couldn't find anything at a LBS to compete with this...

What other gear should I look into now that I've got a bike on the way?

Totally Rad
    Jun 2005

Good job!

Pretty good parts spec. I've heard those I-beam seatposts can be problematic (tho I have no first hand experience). I also hear they have a wider adjustment range, a good thing on a bike that you haven't actually sat on, there's a good chance you'll be able to adjust it just right.

If the stem is the right length/rise, and the spring in the fork is the right firmness for your weight, then you're good to go!

Though, depending on your own mechanical proclivities, it might be a good idea to have a bike shop put it together and dial in all the adjustments.

I would check to make sure the zero-stack headset is a good one (most zero stack headsets that I've seen have sealed cartridge bearings). I have a $35 cane creek zero stack on mine, and it's smooth and works great. I had a non-cartridge headset on my last bike though, and it sucked.

Now you're gonna need a good pair of shoes for those Shimano pedals, Camelbak, multi tool, pump, helmet, glasses, shorts, jersey.

Enjoy the bike! How could you not?! It's yellow, the color of enjoyment!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    thanks for the thorough reply!

What's the average price to have a bike shop assemble a bike like this?
    What's a multi tool?

I rode a few GT's, Specialized, and Kona, all around that 1000-1500 dollar range, and to be honest, i had no clue what I was looking for, they all felt strange, I'm totally not used to the FS feel... I bought the Mongoose, because after visiting every bike shop in my area, I would have had to pay around 1500-2000 to get a comparably equipped model. For the 500-1000 dollars I saved I could afford to get some gear, get it tuned and even assembled if necessary, as well as keep a few bills in my pocket, plus, i had read some really good reviews of the bike.

Totally Rad
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo
    What's the average price to have a bike shop assemble a bike like this?

What's a multi tool?

i had read some really good reviews of the bike.
    I'm not sure what they would charge, since the bike will probably be shipped partially assembled. The front wheel and stem/handlebars will probably be off the bike, bu the rest will be together. So the bike shop might charge you a little less than a complete custom buildup. But what the shop can do is set up the shifters, brakes, and shocks and give you tips on how to position the seat and handlebars. Eventually you'll be doing this yourself, but as you said, they all felt wierd to you and this is your first full sus bike. I would feel wierd about it too! It's like putting on rollerskates for the first time or something.

I would hope the shop charges less than $100 since it's not a full build.

Multitools:
    I use this one. They also make other variations.

Another popular one is this one. It has a handy serrated blad and bottle opener. But I find slightly hard to hold on to. I use the crank brothers tool, and for longer trips or when I'm bike camping, I also bring a swiss army knife and leatherman, which is probably overkill. I also find that the box wrenches found on the Alien are useless for my bike since it's all allen-head bolts.

But whatever one you like best (there are a ton of other brands and models) it's a lot easier than carrying around full-size tools. If you're a minimalist, at least bring a few allen wrenches (only the ones that fit your bike), and everything you need to change a tube.)

I read a recent review on the bike too. The reviewers seemed to like it.
    Last edited by Draisine Velocipede, PHD; 08-02-2005 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    get rid of that kmc chain asap and get a sram pc-99/990 or a dura-ace/xtr

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How much do those chains cost? I guess I could do that when I'm getting it all assembled... I also want to get a lizard skin for the chain stay... at least I was thinking about doing that...

Totally Rad
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo
    How much do those chains cost? I guess I could do that when I'm getting it all assembled... I also want to get a lizard skin for the chain stay... at least I was thinking about doing that...
    I have one of those Lizard Skins things, and it outlived the first frame I put it on. I see a lot of Ellsworths and Santa Cruzes around here with a cut innertube & zip ties on the chain stay. I'm sure it works just as good as a store-bought Lizard Skins chainstay protector, but you'd think people with custom anodized color $3000 frames would want to drop $5 on a Lizard Skins...but like I say, the tube with ties seems to work great.

Who are the brain police?
    You don't need to buy the best chain in the SRam or Shimano line.. unless you need the few gram savings it gives you.

I would stay w/ SRam but opt for the pc950. Shimano is ok if you buy a SRam quicklink for it, and there's really no need to go above the XT level chain (HG93).

*If the grams are important to you, and/or you want to spend extra to have the best then go for top lines....
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us