The woes of a fickle biker...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well The woes of a fickle biker...

What I want in a bike is subject to change on a day to day basis. One day I'll be wanting a Spec Enduro, the next i'll be yearning for a lightweight ss, the next it's the SC Nomad, the next I'm craving something completely different... As of right now, I'm torn. I love the idea of a 6in travel all mountain machine such as the Nomad but there's something unspeakably appealing about an ultra lightweight hardtail such as Ibis's Tranny. I've decided to purchase a new bike by the end of the summer (which ultimately requires me to make up my mind) and I just wanted to ask a very simple question: Which bike would be more fun?

I love the sport of mountain biking and I'm not out there to win races or to gain sponsorships, I just like going as fast as I can and having a blast with my friends on a daily basis. I want a nice quality bike that will LAST and give me tons of smiles and bruises alike over the coming years and I want to enlist the service of fellow enthusiasts to help me collect my muddled thoughts and make up my fickle mind.

What, in your opinion, is more of a treat to ride? A properly fast ultra light hardtail such as the Tranny or a long travel all mountain fiend such as the Nomad or Mojo?

Thanks, and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I feel your pain.
    My "cycling - bikes" bookmark folder in my browser gets another candidate added to it about once a week and same as you they go from hardtails to 6" all-mountain style bikes and that's just mountain bikes. I know that around town and for commuting I could have some fun with a bike with retro-direct gearing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro-Direct or maybe a 3-speed internal gear hub or maybe the new 11 speed Alfine...
    *sigh* To be able to own the cyclist's version of Jay Leno's Garage...
    Last edited by Surestick Malone; 05-08-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    I hate to say it, but you're the only one who can make that decision. You know what your trails are like where you ride, you know how you like your bikes, and quite frankly, it's all probably going to change every week. In the end, you're obviously going to have to make a concession somewhere. If it were me, I'd go 6" trail bike (well, I went with a 7" trail bike, but who's counting) because even if I don't get to ride that way all the time, the kind of trails I like to do are far more fun with a big bike. So I'm going to suck it up on the buff stuff and uphills, and run my big ol' trail bike.

You know, you can always get the other one too.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Have to agree that it is up to your riding style and what trails are in your area. I would suggest you get what you are able to ride most and invest in that. I personally like the hardtails, but that is because I have very little experience on full suspension and there is little opportunity for downhilling in my area (unless I drive and hour) also I take my son with me so no extreme speed for my 8 year old.

Good luck with your choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Like others have said, it depends a lot on where and how you like to ride.

But as a general rule, I'd rather have too much bike than too little: On a smooth, swoopy trail, I can have nearly as much fun on my long-travel FS bike as I would on a lightweight XC hardtail. But on a rocky, rooty, technical trail, I'm going to enjoy myself considerably more on the long-travel bike than on the XC hardtail.

So while I've got a small stable of mountain bikes (rigid 1x6, short-travel FS, long-travel FS), I always take the long travel bike when I'm going on a road trip that's going to involve mountain biking. And if I had to pare that stable down to one bike, I'd keep the cushiest one, without question.

But to loop back to the "it depends on where you ride" thing, I'm surely biased in favor of long travel FS because I do most of my riding on technical New England trails. There just isn't much buff singletrack for me to ride around here, and so the big bike is usually my default choice.

T.W.O.
    +1 Where and how you ride is important part of decision making.
    +1 on the longer travel is a better one bike to have. I have AM, XC, ST, HT, SS, in all materials. My go-to bike is the ML8, currently the longest travel I have. I'd get the longest travel bike I can pedal up hill and go from there.

It never ends even if you get the 32lb Carbon Nomad and 19lb Tranny, in a few months you'll start wondering about the Carbon V10, a Ti softtail SS, 29er HT/leggy long travel 29er, or the new 650b format. Let's just say don't ask how I know that.

Few option for you if you want to consider, get the Mojo HD and 2 set of tires one 2.35 for normal riding and light 2.1 when you feel like hitting the climb. At 6.3lb frame you can build easily build a sub 30lb bike and with light skinny tires it can be in 26lbs neighborhood. That's easy to climb anything anyday.

You know my steez...

We the people ...

You have to buy all of them.

BTW, I have a Mojo and a hard tail SS (and a road bike) and love them all.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

T.W.O.

Boy don't I know it.

And it's never enough. I can't buy new one until I put one up for sale according to the boss(you know who) as there's no room in the garage. I gave up parking my car in the garage a long time ago. I work 75hrs/week this help keeping me sane. That's what I told my boss and I'm sticking with it
    Last edited by mimi1885; 05-11-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0