TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Winter road trainer recommendations

I'm considering a road bike to get me through the winter while the local trails are too muddy, am considering dropping no more than a grand.

I have no idea what to look for because I've never spoken that language. I ride an NRS and a Stumpy SS conversion on XC trails while in season.

I'm looking for something durable, low maintenance and light enough to not be a burden.

Any recommendations for makes and models that meet these criteria? Any good buzzwords I can walk into an LBS with?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I'm considering a road bike to get me through the winter while the local trails are too muddy, am considering dropping no more than a grand.

I have no idea what to look for because I've never spoken that language. I ride an NRS and a Stumpy SS conversion on XC trails while in season.

I'm looking for something durable, low maintenance and light enough to not be a burden.

Any recommendations for makes and models that meet these criteria? Any good buzzwords I can walk into an LBS with?
    I suggest you save all your time and money by going to a bike shop first to find out your exact size and then order a Scattante CFR full carbon Ultegra bike from Supergo. My 53cm weighed 18lbs and it rides as good as bikes that cost twice as much. You will have extra money to spend on winter clothes for road.You can read all the reviews about it on sister website roadbikereview.com.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not convinced about the merits of a full carbon winter training bike! Consult the lower end of the Trek and Cannondale roadie catalogues and look out for 04 spec clearance sales. Specialized also dabble in roadies too. If you are not training with other roadies though, you could save money by simply fitting skinny tyres to your mtb.

banned
    I'd look for something like this:

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/road/triumph_sport.shtml