Will seat post damage frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Will seat post damage frame?

I just installed a 367mm seat post. I actually needed the 410mm. When I set the height where I need it, it is even with the "Maximum Height" mark on the post. Should I have more of the post in the frame, or will that be fine? I just don't want it to somehow damage the frame.

AZ
    banned
    As long as the line is not above the seat tube your ok , I usually like a little margin for error FWIW .

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    As long as the line is not above the seat tube your ok , I usually like a little margin for error FWIW .
    that line is more of a guide.
    What you really want to make sure of is that the seat post extends past the top-tube junction.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    that line is more of a guide.
    What you really want to make sure of is that the seat post extends past the top-tube junction.
    Past the top-tube junction? You lost me.

It should go past where the top tube and seat tube meet??? I will need a much longer post in that case.

local trails rider
    What is your bike frame? Got a pic?

Seat tube going past the top tube junction should be safe on "conventional" frames. Seat post manufacturers usually specify around 10cm (4") in the frame, but that might not be the whole truth with some frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    What is your bike frame? Got a pic?

Seat tube going past the top tube junction should be safe on "conventional" frames. Seat post manufacturers usually specify around 10cm (4") in the frame, but that might not be the whole truth with some frames.
    It's a 2009 Stumpjumper.

local trails rider
    Recent Stumpjumpers FSR models have that brace, or half the top tube, pretty close to the seat tube top, so things are not all that bad: that area is supported.

Or is it the hardtail? They are pretty "conventional" construction, I think, and the top tube is near the top of seat tube.

I like to play it safe, so I'd get a longer post anyway.

... Is that bike a good size for you otherwise? Not too short or long?

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by js_paddle07
    Past the top-tube junction? You lost me.

It should go past where the top tube and seat tube meet??? I will need a much longer post in that case.
    you want to make sure that the end of the post has something to brace against the leverage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will seat post damage frame?-seatpost-insertion.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    you want to make sure that the end of the post has something to brace against the leverage.
    Gotcha. Thanks. I'll have to check but I don't think it will extend below the top tube when I have it at height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Recent Stumpjumpers FSR models have that brace, or half the top tube, pretty close to the seat tube top, so things are not all that bad: that area is supported.

Or is it the hardtail? They are pretty "conventional" construction, I think, and the top tube is near the top of seat tube.

I like to play it safe, so I'd get a longer post anyway.

... Is that bike a good size for you otherwise? Not too short or long?
    No, it's not a hardtail. I will go with a 410mm just to be safe. I listed the Thomson 367mm on eBay.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by js_paddle07
    Gotcha. Thanks. I'll have to check but I don't think it will extend below the top tube when I have it at height.
    yep, then you need a longer post if that's the case

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    definitely need a longer post and im talking from experience.... I actually broke my old Trek Y26 having the seat post too high, or this happens ( not my bike)

Members who have read this thread: 0