Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    New question here. will I break this?

    i recently came across an great deal on an 09 Mt. Fuji SL (it was bought for 2500 but i am paying MUCH less). it has a hardtail c7 carbon frame Deore xt deraileurs and brakes, and a Rock Shocks sid team shock. I realize that this bike is great for xc racing but i have not participated in any xc races and i would not know where to find one in my area. i use my current bike (trek 4500) for commuting to high school, practice, trail riding (10-15 mi), and doing some ( not very extreme) dirt jumping. would a frame/shock like this be able to handle small to moderate jumps. also if any one knows about any U18 xc races in PA NJ or NY could they also post them. thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    829
    cant help ya with the bicycle question but heres what google found me for XC races in rainsylvania....

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=677398

  3. #3
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    Define moderate jumping. I don't know if Fuji XC carbon bike is good for that. Ibis Tranny is good for that. If you can land softly then there's no problem.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jpeters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,330
    I would never use any xc bike for dirt jumping the parts and frame are not designed for it. Sure you can get some air now and again while trail riding but would not recommend jumping it to much. Not to mention the bike is set up for a very racy stance that is not good for extreme dh or jumping. But that is still a hell of a good xc bike and if I could get it for a good price I would jump on it. Another thing I would not leave that out side unattended to long without a very very good lock set up like lock both wheels to the frame and the frame to a unmovable object. Just wondering how much for the bike? I would use the 4500 for commuting and use the fuji for trails and fun.

  5. #5
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,613
    Quote Originally Posted by JackGleim
    i recently came across an great deal on an 09 Mt. Fuji SL (it was bought for 2500 but i am paying MUCH less). it has a hardtail c7 carbon frame Deore xt deraileurs and brakes, and a Rock Shocks sid team shock. I realize that this bike is great for xc racing but i have not participated in any xc races and i would not know where to find one in my area. i use my current bike (trek 4500) for commuting to high school, practice, trail riding (10-15 mi), and doing some ( not very extreme) dirt jumping. would a frame/shock like this be able to handle small to moderate jumps. also if any one knows about any U18 xc races in PA NJ or NY could they also post them. thanks
    If you already know that some dirt jumping is in your future, I don't think this is the bike you want. A bike like this can handle some air here and there, but if you are planning on hucking more than what you come across on trail rides that do not include purposely built up jumps, this then this is likely the wrong bike both in terms of strength and geometry as well.

    This sounds like a really sweet bike, but NOT for dirt jumping.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Define moderate jumping. I don't know if Fuji XC carbon bike is good for that. Ibis Tranny is good for that. If you can land softly then there's no problem.
    moderate would be about 2 ft in the air from the ground measured at the back wheel

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by JackGleim
    moderate would be about 2 ft in the air from the ground measured at the back wheel
    Landing on a flat or transition? either way I wouldn't seek out jumps on that bike, but I would race the crap out of it.
    Bianchi San Jose commute/town duties and fixie trail riding. Bianchi C.U.S.S for days I feel like riding a MTN bike.

  8. #8
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,613
    Quote Originally Posted by JackGleim
    moderate would be about 2 ft in the air from the ground measured at the back wheel
    2 feet a few times per ride should not be a problem for an xc race bike. However, if you are actively seeking out dirt jumps you are soon going to be surpassing that. 2 feet is not exactly dirt jumping, more like what you come across on more technical trails in normal riding. I see drops close to 2 feet on trails that they run xc races on around here. I don't need to actively look for jumps to come across these. When looking at the stuff that the dirt jumping crowd around here builds, most jumps put you more than 2 feet in the air.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.