Who Still Manufactures in the USA?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Who Still Manufactures in the USA?

What bike manufacturers are USA built?
    We have a vintage MountainKlein, a Fat Chance and an Ellsworth, and figured we might as well continue the tradition for the new full suspension endeavor.
    So who makes something worth the money?

Former Bike Wrench
    Ventana, Ellsworth, Turner, and Intense are all full suspension designs still made in the USA. Top of the line OCLV Carbon Trek and Fishers are also US made.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow, not many left.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Foes, Lenz, Moots, some Titus,...yep, choice gets slimmer every year.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What about Cannondale top models ?
    Ko mali pao u bure rakije !

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Greske
    Cannondale has moved all production to Asia...it maximizes profits for Dorel who already had made record profits in the last year they were made in the US

T.W.O.
    I thought the Rize 120 and 140 still Hand made in USA. Elllsworth move the carbon(don't know which) to Asia as well. There are still a lot of US makers doing lots of different FS designs just have to pick one.

Before dropping cash on a new bike or frame, at least take "other" bikes out for a spin. You can get the whole pic.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    I thought Ellsworth was already gone?

Who knows how long the last holdouts will last. Looks like it's inevitable at this point.

Foes is still here.

banned
    Da Vinci Designs are hand built, custom singles and tandems, made right here in the USA.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I thought the Rize 120 and 140 still Hand made in USA. Elllsworth move the carbon(don't know which) to Asia as well. There are still a lot of US makers doing lots of different FS designs just have to pick one.

Before dropping cash on a new bike or frame, at least take "other" bikes out for a spin. You can get the whole pic.
    Worst bike I ever owned had the name "Fisher" on it and it was back in the late 80's or early 90's. The frame/chain alignment is so bad that I cut it up in disgust and sent it to the scrap yard.
    I swore that I'd never own another Asian import again.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    I thought Ellsworth was already gone?

Who knows how long the last holdouts will last. Looks like it's inevitable at this point.

Foes is still here.
    Ellsworth Aluminum is all still US made...MOST Carbon is Asian made because they have that technology dialed. I don't know if Ellsworth carbon is Asian, but that is only on one hardtail frame (well two 26" and 29" versions of the frame).

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beamer50
    Worst bike I ever owned had the name "Fisher" on it and it was back in the late 80's or early 90's. The frame/chain alignment is so bad that I cut it up in disgust and sent it to the scrap yard.
    I swore that I'd never own another Asian import again.
    If you don't want to own Asian import based on poor quality built, then you are in a good place. I own many USA made and Asian US brand Asian made bikes as well. I've never ridden an Asian made frame from way back, so I'll take your word for it. In any case it's still a US company and still responsible for QA/QC.

Asian made now are, to say the leas,t on par with US quality. If you pick a suspension design that fit your riding style, it would be hard to be disappointed. I'm an Asian so keeping up to the tradition, I would only buy US made stuffs. I still own more US made bikes than others. But I'm not limit my selection to just US bikes.

I'd suggest Turner 5 Spot, Ellsworth Moment, Intense Tracer VP.

banned
    With rare exception, and typically the hand made in USA frames, I am of the belief that Asian made frames are vastly superior to any frame that would be mass produced in the US. US production facilities are dated and antiquated compared to modern Taiwanese factories...take a tour of the Giant factory for a reality check.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    With rare exception, and typically the hand made in USA frames, I am of the belief that Asian made frames are vastly superior to any frame that would be mass produced in the US. US production facilities are dated and antiquated compared to modern Taiwanese factories...take a tour of the Giant factory for a reality check.
    The REALITY is that US residents need to practice a bit of nationalism and keep our neighbors working.
    Companies that actually manufacture in the US are proud to make that known.
    I can't recall seeing any company make a point of the fact that they send their work offshore. Why might that be?

Last edited by Beamer50; 05-18-2010 at 09:58 PM.

T.W.O.

No good Should have know better!

The REALITY is that we US residents need to practice a bit of nationalism and keep our neighbors working.
    I have never bought an asian imported product of anykind that was superior or that lasted more than a year or two. They have the talent and mindset to manufacture disposable goods.

Well, this thread is going to get drag into a pissing match, then I'm outta here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Well, this thread is going to get drag into a pissing match, then I'm outta here.
    Not at all.
    We all have our own priorities.

And I appreciate all the names that people have given. I'll be looking into them all.

banned
    The REALITY is that US residents need to practice a bit of nationalism and keep our neighbors working.
    I have never bought an Asian imported product of anykind that was superior or lasted more than a year or two. They have the talent and mindset to manufacture disposable goods.

My my, assuming that you own a bike, I would like to know which parts on your bike are being replaced every year or so due to Asian manufacture? Nikon SLR's, Pentax, Canon, Olympus cameras I have owned since the 60's are still working fine inspite of the abuse they have received in major conflict zones. My Panasonic Toughbook, 1st generation, inspite of falling into a huge crater filled with muddy water 6 years ago, still works fine today.

I suggest you rethink your statement since it is way off base, and not based in reality.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Titus ti and aluminum

What bike manufacturers are USA built?
    We have a vintage MountainKlein, a Fat Chance and an Ellsworth, and figured we might as well continue the tradition for the new full suspension endeavor.
    So who makes something worth the money?
    Titus still builds hydroformed ti and aluminum full suspension and hardtails in the US. As well as Exogrid frames.
    Lynskey does too.

I like my bikes and guitars to be made in USA.
    Still drive Japanese cars, a habit formed in the 80's and 90's when it was the smart thing to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who Still Manufactures in the USA?-img_4192.jpg  

Who Still Manufactures in the USA?-img_4240.jpg  

Who Still Manufactures in the USA?-img_4236.jpg  

TRANCER
    I am American and I like Giant bikes. I mean I figured if something is made in the USA we Americans should get better prices for American bikes since there is no need to import them. But if I try to buy an American made bike I usually have to pay 1500 or so more dollars than a similarly spec'd out Asian bike. Why do they take advantage of such? Well I think its because they know alot of people will use that bs reason about our economy etc etc blah blah blah. If that's the case why not stop trying to rape your own customers with crazy prices for what in most cases(not all) are inferior bikes\frames that are equally spec'd? When all of that is taken care of then I'll definately buy American. Let the flaming begin
    Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My my, assuming that you own a bike, I would like to know which parts on your bike are being replaced every year or so due to Asian manufacture? Nikon SLR's, Pentax, Canon, Olympus cameras I have owned since the 60's are still working fine inspite of the abuse they have received in major conflict zones. My Panasonic Toughbook, 1st generation, inspite of falling into a huge crater filled with muddy water 6 years ago, still works fine today.

I suggest you rethink your statement since it is way off base, and not based in reality.
    You are correct, Japan has been an exception, but then again I stopped buying the (then) well thought of Toyotas after about 4 when they all needed a battery, muffler and some a radiator in the first 3 years of life. But then we all know Toyota's story now.
    Your vintage cameras......Japanese, right? And Shimano.

Point being, I have had no good experiences with Asian imports, but even if I had, the topic is what is made in USA because I want to support those workers and am proud of it. My 23 year old Klein and Fat Chance and 20 year old Ellsworth are all cottage industry USA built and still just fine, so another motivation to buy American.

To repeat myself, everyone has his or her own priorities.

Thanks to those who offered to share their knowledge on what companies remain.
    Last edited by Beamer50; 05-19-2010 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    I am American and I like Giant bikes. I mean I figured if something is made in the USA we Americans should get better prices for American bikes since there is no need to import them. But if I try to buy an American made bike I usually have to pay 1500 or so more dollars than a similarly spec'd out Asian bike. Why do they take advantage of such? Well I think its because they know alot of people will use that bs reason about our economy etc etc blah blah blah. If that's the case why not stop trying to rape your own customers with crazy prices for what in most cases(not all) are inferior bikes\frames that are equally spec'd? When all of that is taken care of then I'll definately buy American. Let the flaming begin
    I think part of it has to do with the standard of living in the country of origin.

Think of the cost of German cars and motorcycles. Compare that with British.
    We generally get good wages here, so we have to pay for that.
    US goods do cost more than some imports, but it's all part of our economy.

But then again, businessmen do capitalize on every opportunity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    Titus still builds hydroformed ti and aluminum full suspension and hardtails in the US. As well as Exogrid frames.
    Lynskey does too.

I like my bikes and guitars to be made in USA.
    Still drive Japanese cars, a habit formed in the 80's and 90's when it was the smart thing to do.
    BikerBob,

Looks good, show us more.

mtbr member
    You need to tour the Trek/GF plant in WI for a reality check of your own.

Most of the tooling for ALL overseas bike manufacturing is engineered right here in the heartland.

All fat, all the time.
    Everybody knows bikes made in Canada are better.....come on now...

I have a trek & a giant that were built overseas, but no big deal. At least Trek is a US based company so profits are staying local (US). & I bought both my bikes from the LBS's so I am supporting local US businesses that way too.

If some one "wants" their bike to be made in US, that is great, it's their decision, but all this arguing is getting old.

"get on your bikes & ride!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    Everybody knows bikes made in Canada are better.....come on now...
    If some one "wants" their bike to be made in US, that is great, it's their decision, but all this arguing is getting old.
    DITTO.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    You need to tour the Trek/GF plant in WI for a reality check of your own.

Most of the tooling for ALL overseas bike manufacturing is engineered right here in the heartland.

Have been their and done that; also have toured the Schwinn factory in its hay day....anything else?

P.S. I wasn't impressed with the Trek facility.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    if I try to buy an American made bike I usually have to pay 1500 or so more dollars than a similarly spec'd out Asian bike. Why do they take advantage of such?
    I think that's just economy of scale. Any remaining US-made frame will be made in a low-volume facility with a lot of handwork...your generic imported frame will come from a jinormous factory that pumps 'em out by the tens of thousands with any number of brand names.

Back when Cannondale had a vibrant factory, their prices were more or less on par with Giant, Spec, etc.
    whatever...

mtbr member

That's not true

Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    I think that's just economy of scale. Any remaining US-made frame will be made in a low-volume facility with a lot of handwork...your generic imported frame will come from a jinormous factory that pumps 'em out by the tens of thousands with any number of brand names.

Back when Cannondale had a vibrant factory, their prices were more or less on par with Giant, Spec, etc.

That's is not true. Many of the Asian carbon are high-end and hand laid, not your typical pour in the mold and stamp them out frame. Quite a few companies are going with smaller makers. For example, Pivot went to a small maker that do not have a whole lot of volume, Chris taught them how to make the frame here then transfer tools there. If it's a high end company here, it high end company there too. If you are comparing a lower end company well may be it would fit that statement.

As for Cannondale, I owned a few Cannondales myself. There are the worst when it come to spec. If it's the same trim line and price point Cannondale would have the lowest spec component, compare to their competitors. You choose high-end, they were not and still are not cheap. Their Lefty forks are $1200-$1400 retail. A lefty carbon cost me $1k after I turned in my headshox for up grade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    scotts are made in the US, but ifi recall correctly its only the frames that are built there everything is assembled in asia

mtbr member
    Have been their and done that; also have toured the Schwinn factory in its hay day....anything else?

P.S. I wasn't impressed with the Trek facility.
    Probably safe to assume this wasn't within the last 5 years?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not much in the way of aluminum HT's made in the USA anymore.Ventana still makes some,but they do mostly FS designs as mentioned above.I have a El Chiquillo being built up now and I can't wait to ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Greske
    the flash frames in 2010 were still made in usa. hopefully they will still make some in the usa in yrs to come, however, I think they are closing some of the bedford plant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the cannondale flash frames in 2010 were still made in usa. hopefully they will still make some in the usa in yrs to come, however, I think they are closing some of the bedford plant.

I still think that the polished welds are nice along with the rest of the bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if i had the money i'd try a moots. they look solid.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    Not much in the way of aluminum HT's made in the USA anymore.Ventana still makes some,but they do mostly FS designs as mentioned above.I have a El Chiquillo being built up now and I can't wait to ride it.

Pssst, check with Da Vinci Designs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pssst, check with Da Vinci Designs.

Ah yeah,I seem to remember you mentioning that earlier in the thread.I wonder how much a custom aluminum frame would be from them,with Ventana you're looking at $1100+ for a custom build.Still,even including them,there's not a whole lot out there for aluminum HT's hand built in the USA.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CRed
    Ah yeah,I seem to remember you mentioning that earlier in the thread.I wonder how much a custom aluminum frame would be from them,with Ventana you're looking at $1100+ for a custom build.Still,even including them,there's not a whole lot out there for aluminum HT's hand built in the USA.
    Depends on whether you want steel, alum, or Scandium....each single is hand built per your specs, and the bike is fitted to you, not a generic S, M, L, XL nonsense, so it's truly custom made....$1000+ is a reasonable estimate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Depends on whether you want steel, alum, or Scandium....each single is hand built per your specs, and the bike is fitted to you, not a generic S, M, L, XL nonsense, so it's truly custom made....$1000+ is a reasonable estimate.

Yeah,that makes sense to me.I would love a nice custom steel bike,not really a fan of scandium though.My frame happens to be an 'off the rack' model because I was fine with the geometry and didn't need anything special,but it did come with the extra gusseting at the headtube that is considered custom in some cases.It's a 20th anniversary model so maybe that's why it got the extra gusseting,I honestly do not know.

Members who have read this thread: 0