When buying from LBS, what price do you offer?- Mtbr.com
    Cannondale Snob

When buying from LBS, what price do you offer?

I got "sniped" on buying a '06 Cannondale F800 by about two minutes (though he only put down a deposit, so if he doesn't pay up in 4 weeks I might get my chance). The list was $1599 and it was on closeout sale for $1399 and I was going to offer them $1000... of course I didn't get the chance to see if they'd take it.

However, if the guy does come through for them and buy that bike, I might still talk myself into one of the new caffeine-framed F-Series. The F1 is priced at $2200 and the F2 (F800 equivalent) is priced at $1600. I'm not considering the F3 at $1,100 because it lacks the Lefty shock and some other components I'm after. They don't have any Cannondale HTs in stock besides a pair of F29s, so they'll have to order whatever bike I'd buy. What sort of offers do you think I could make on these two bikes?

Freshly Fujified

Bike price negotiations

If the bikes are '07 models, you'll be lucky to get a 10% discount at your LBS. If they are '05 or '06 leftovers, you'll get a more substantial discount-perhaps 30%, more if the shop is desperate to move the bike.

As for your $1000 offer on the '06 F800, I'm pretty sure that's close to cost. My guess is they would have countered with $1200. You'd have been lucky to settle at $1100, IMO.

Whatever you do, be sure you have cash in hand when you're ready to buy. Money talks, BS walks, and they'll never take you seriously again if you balk once you've agreed on a price.

Best wishes in finding a bike at the right price.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Cannondale Snob
    Thanks for your evaluation! From your experience, what sort of "freebies" tend to come with a bike purchase. My friend got a water bottle and cage, which seems pretty standard. Are there any other things that may be included?

I have plenty of room on my CC to buy a new bike. I also have a 5% off new bike purchase and 15% off accessories purchase coupon which is good through March at this store (from Cannondales test-ride event this past weekend).

"Local" Bike Shop is a relative term, they're about an hour away but the closest Cannondale dealer I've found yet. I tend to buy my other things from the store 2 miles down the road.

Hmmm I just got a list of supposed Cannondale dealers through MapQuest and there is one only 13 miles away.... 10 within the same distance as the one I've been to already. I'll give them all a call tomorrow and see what '06 stock they've got left.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Thanks for your evaluation! From your experience, what sort of "freebies" tend to come with a bike purchase. My friend got a water bottle and cage, which seems pretty standard. Are there any other things that may be included?

I have plenty of room on my CC to buy a new bike. I also have a 5% off new bike purchase and 15% off accessories purchase coupon which is good through March at this store (from Cannondales test-ride event this past weekend).

"Local" Bike Shop is a relative term, they're about an hour away but the closest Cannondale dealer I've found yet. I tend to buy my other things from the store 2 miles down the road.

Hmmm I just got a list of supposed Cannondale dealers through MapQuest and there is one only 13 miles away.... 10 within the same distance as the one I've been to already. I'll give them all a call tomorrow and see what '06 stock they've got left.

Don't expect a lot of "freebies" if you try to screw them on the price.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    You'll get a lot better deal on the SECOND bike you buy. Trust me.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    You'll get a lot better deal on the SECOND bike you buy. Trust me.
    What if we are talking about the sub $600 range?

El Pollo Diablo
    even then, if get a relationship going, much less one with a nice (read: big) first purchase, and they'll think good thoughts when you walk in.

unless of course you're an *******.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything
    Like mynbikej said, I wouldn't expect a lot of freebies, especially if you negotiate a discount. The cage and bottle are tyical. Perhaps a patch kit and tire levers instead. Frankly, if you have the discount coupons in hand, I'd go in and offer them 10% under MSRP on the bike and see if they will still honor the 15% off on accessories. Buy yourself a helmet, gloves, bike shorts, shoes and socks with the discount card. If you get yourself completely outfitted at the time of the purchase, they are more likely to give you that 10% off MSRP on the bike.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Cannondale Snob
    This is my second bike (first new bike and first from a store), and I don't plan on buying another. Cannondale has lifetime warranty frames for the original purchaser, and I can just replace/upgrade everything else as it wears out.

I do the same thing with my Jeep. I've got an '89 Comanche with a '97 engine, 94 transmission, '01 transfer-case, different axles, etc.... So long as the flatform is sound I'll just keep building and rebuilding around it.

Also, once I'm through with school in another year or so I'll likely have to go out-of-state to find a job. Hopefully someplace with more mountain biking than we have here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When dealing always try a real "local" shop, make sure it's not a chain. Also try to speak to the owner or manager, the person that can make the decision. I wouldn't recommend going on the weekends, this is normally the “busy” day, and it's difficult to get the time and open discussion. I would say 10% is great if you can get it, especially if they need to do a special order... Or I would recommend paying retail and ask for a few free tune-ups (get it in writing on the receipt). Yes you could upgrade parts, but unlike the auto world, bike upgrades will cost you almost the same if not more than a decent new bike. Perhaps take a step back and determine what your needs are and how much and what riding you want to do.... Especially if you move, you may want a different style. Best of luck, spend your $$ wisely.

Members who have read this thread: 0